Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 07-02-2011, 18:23   #16
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Common sense and the historical record tell us otherwise.

Richard
Dan Sickles comes to mind.
Pre-Clinton for sure.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:32   #17
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
Second he commander and chief used the end of the cold war etc and gutted our military. He did the realignment so that combat arms are all NG and CS and CSS are all reserve. At that time is where they integrated Reserve and NG units to take on more of the load than the cold war days. Prior to then the Reserve and NG main goal was to back fill after the AD guys left and replace depleted and deployed units in a major world war. That is an over simplication but you get the gist of it.
I was there (AmEmbassy-Bonn and OACSCMO-21st TAACOM) when this took place. It was a policy shift which was made and began to be implemented at the end of GW1 (1991) as a result of the fall of the Wall, the enactment of the CFE treaty, the economic issues of the time, and the performance of the allied coalition in the GW. This was done under the GHWB administration prior to WJC's election and taking office, but was completed during the WJC administration.

Quote:
During the realignment the idea was we would be able to fight two reginol wars and the reserve and NG take on a much larger part from day one.
The two regional war scenario was the old Cold War policy; the post GW1 shift was based on the premise that the efficiency of our military and the foreseeable world situation would not lead to us becoming engaged in two major simultaneous conflicts any longer, but if we did our restructured forces would be capable of what was called a "fight-hold-fight" scenario; having to fight a major regional action while retaining a reserve force capable of engaging and holding in another such action until we could disengage enough forces from the first to fully commit to the second fight.

Quote:
Under Klinton the check box system that was always there to some extent became bumer one way to get rid of people. An example is if you got to a point in your carrear I think 12 years and did not get to E-6 or above you were kicked out. The idea was we were getting rid of the dead wood. In combat arms that may have been the idea but other areas where promotion was tight if not near impossable such as medics or maintance it got rid of some good people. Thet needed a benchmark and they looked and any excuse. If you got an article 15 in basic they may kick you after you are an e-7 12 years later. One guy I heard about got a general discharge in the 80's. Came back in on a waver, was an exellant NCO and at the 15 year mark was refused reenlistment because his original general discharege he never botherd to get it changed.
Interesting. I remember the QMP you're talking about beginning in the mid-70s as a part of the post-RVN era. During that time we had a number of NCOs in Group which had been SF NCOs, then commissioned officers and who opted to revert back to being NCOs vice being RIF'd. One example of the QMP I remember quite well then was during my PCS in March 1976 from the 7th SFG at Bragg to 1-10th SFG in Bad Tolz. I was in-processing at USAREUR in Frankfurt prior to continuing on to Tolz and was in the mandatory Headstart class. I was a 91B3SW7TH SSG (SF Medic) with 5.5 years of service, 2.5 years time in grade, a prior overseas tour in SEA, a number of specialized schools and Honor Grad of both the USARSUPTHAI BLDC and 18th Airborne Corps NCO Academy, and had a language skill. There was a 76Y3 SSG (supply sergeant) in the class with me who had 12 years time in service, less time in grade than I did, looked as if he'd never done PT after AIT, and had never been to any schools other than BCT and AIT. He was complaining and worried because his records had just been flagged for the QMP due to his not being 'promotable' at the time. I remember thinking, "Well...."

And so it goes...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote