Old 04-30-2012, 12:21   #196
Rob_Frey
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post

That was one of the old 700's, that had to be put on "fire" to raise the bolt.

Remington had a recall for those guns and the warranty repair was to cut off the lever that locked the bolt in place and clean the trigger group.
Rob_Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 15:37   #197
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
I believe I'll just stick with Jewell after listening to you guys.
Good call in my humble opinion.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 18:29   #198
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Or quit drinking the post-64 gun-writer "I hate what they did to my favorite rifle so I'm going to kill the brand forever" kool-aid and go with a Winchester 70 (or the FN re-incarnation). They don't need an aftermarket to get a decent field trigger.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 20:11   #199
Ramirez
Guerrilla

I've seen Jewell fail w/ blown primers, and they hate being dirty. Long two day rifle match w/ texas red dirt CAN be hell on them. Some people on the other hand have never had an issue. I have a timney set at a crisp 1 1/4 lbs on my GAP. That's just the way I like it.
Ramirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:38   #200
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
Or quit drinking the post-64 gun-writer "I hate what they did to my favorite rifle so I'm going to kill the brand forever" kool-aid and go with a Winchester 70 (or the FN re-incarnation). They don't need an aftermarket to get a decent field trigger.

Winchester 70? Hathcock tried to use one of those in The Nam, and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:13   #201
MVP
Quiet Professional

Old 700 safety

I for one like 700 triggers and prefer the old safety for my own guns. I normally keep a few of the new safeties around and gladly swap out old ones at no charge. Why you ask? Because I like the bolt being locked in the gun when the safety is engaged. Some of the board members here might remember there was a Ranger in Just Cause that lost his bolt during movement and ended up with a 14lb club he had to drag around. Just make sure the wepon is pointed in a safe direction when it is unloaded, same for loading.

MVP
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:56   #202
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I have a Win Mod 70 in .270 Win. I bought it at Walmart for less than $300.00. It has a trigger that breaks clean and sharp at what I would estimate about 3 lbs, much lighter than my Rem 700 in .308...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 14:04   #203
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

I finally had a chance to see what my rig can do this past weekend. I just got married the weekend before last (12MAY12), and as part of our honeymoon we visited my friend's range. Both her and I rung the 1,060 yd target (16"W X 20"H) more often than not. I hit it with the cold bore shot, but I guess I called the wind wrong or jerked a couple shots off target. My new bride I'm proud to say smacked it a lot more than she missed We were shooting Federal 175Gr gold medal match. I was more than happy with the 700P with no modifications

The picture is a little crappy because it was from an iphone, but our target was just off to the right of the gun by the far treeline (about 12:30)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Range4.jpg (48.1 KB, 73 views)

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 14:30   #204
tunanut
Guerrilla

I took my new rig out to my range for some load development testing. It's a rem 700 with a 8.5 twist Bartlein chambered in 243AI Found that 43g of R 17 was pushing 105's 3150fps and shooting .3's @ 100 in the wind. Not as fast as I'd like, but it's hard to mess with that kind of accuracy. Those marks on that little steel are three rounds from 500yrds. I've got to thank Dave Tooley for putting together a sweet shooter for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4280010.jpg (75.4 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg P4280013.jpg (30.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg P4280017.jpg (41.6 KB, 67 views)
tunanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 15:31   #205
MVP
Quiet Professional

spin-drift?

Tunanut,

Do you stagger the targets ro the right to account for spin-drift?

M.
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 20:50   #206
tunanut
Guerrilla

It's kinda weird that there's a .2 mil right between the 105 Amax and Berger 105 Vld's loaded the exact same @ 100. Elevation is exactly the same. I have targets on the left and right side of the range, 10 steels between 100 and 500at varied elevations. It's a fun and challenging course of fire. Eggs @ 500 weed out the bullshiters. When I'm realed really dialed in I'll shoot skeet @ 850. If any of you want to stretch out your long rifles in central NC on a private range pm me. I shoot at least once a month outside of hunting season. I'm not smart enough to compensate for spin drift.
tunanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 18:43   #207
BigJimCalhoun
Guerrilla

I just ordered received an adjustable cheek piece for my Rem 700. With my new scope I could not position the rifle beside by face while prone and look through the scope at the same time. This has caused a new flinching habit I hope the cheek piece will assist in solving.
BigJimCalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 19:53   #208
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimCalhoun View Post
I just ordered received an adjustable cheek piece for my Rem 700. With my new scope I could not position the rifle beside by face while prone and look through the scope at the same time. This has caused a new flinching habit I hope the cheek piece will assist in solving.
Try this. Stop placing your cheek on the stock. Instead, place the bottom of your jaw on the stock and then let your jaw bone slide down the side of the stock, but not the skin, as you place the full weight of your head on the stock. You will find that this gathers a bunch of skin up between you cheek bone and that hard stock. Your head will be higher and the impact on your cheek bone during recoil will become almost unnoticeable. While this may feel a little awkward at first, you will find it more comfortable and your head will rest much higher on your stock with the full weight of your head still on the stock.

Too many think that a cheek weld is to place your cheek bone on the stock, when it is to place your cheek area on the stock, more skin less bone. Remember to try and never place bone in direct contact with your weapon or on any hard surface.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 13:59   #209
BigJimCalhoun
Guerrilla

Thank you Long Range.

I have been practicing a little and it does take some getting used to, but I will make it a habit.
BigJimCalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 20:47   #210
Ramirez
Guerrilla

I've had a couple of rifles since I last posted, this is my new favorite. I bought it a few months ago, and even though it's a .308, I still have a blast with it. It shoots sub 1/2 MOA all day and the rifle seems to fit me very well. Although I start going transonic right at 1000 yards when I have a 0 DA, I can load them up a lil hotter and it won't really effect them. At least none that I've noticed. Most of my matches have shots under 800 yards anyway.

Details are below.

Pierce Action
Pierce 20moa Base
Timney 510
Brux 11 Twist, Sendero Contour, 20", 5/8x24" TPI
APA Little Bastard Brake
Manners MCS-T4 w/ Mini chassis.
Bushnell HDMR w/ G2
Badger Rings
Versa-pod w. Versapod Mount
Tab Sling
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8322631825_991a35d4bd_b.jpg (52.8 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg 200yard.jpg (107.2 KB, 73 views)
Ramirez is offline   Reply With Quote