Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 03-06-2016, 22:36   #1
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

Quick Question about the MATA Mile Train

Is it still there? I used to run on it when I lived in Biazza Ridge, but after seeing all the land clearing and contruction, Im wondering if its still there.
pbr549xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:25   #2
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

I loved the MATA mile. We used to run that every morning. Some of you FOGs will probably remember Pappy Kittleson (RIP SGM) kicking ass of guys half his age!
Old 03-07-2016, 08:10   #3
Pete
Quiet Professional

Lost chunks

It's been having chunks nibbled off it since the late 1970's. Lost a bit of the eastern portion, and the Gab Area a western portion and the end of the runway when they put in the All American Expressway. Another chunk of the eastern portion was lost when they put in some giant motor pools at the end of Son Tay.

Now the new highway is taking out the whole southern section along Cottonade Subdivision. While not a part of the MATA Mile it was a major trail that ran the loop from the MATA Mile parking lot around clockwise from Son Tay, down to the All American Expressway, along the back side of Cottonade, up Yadkin to Reilly and then back to the Parking Lot.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 15:38   #4
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

I used to run that trail everyday after work and hit the pill pars along the trail coming and going when I was training up for Ranger School.

Im retired now and living in my house in Cottonade. Are there and trails adjacent to Yadkin or will I have to go all up to Area J.??
pbr549xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 15:58   #5
Pete
Quiet Professional

Sounds like

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbr549xxx View Post
I used to run that trail everyday after work and hit the pill pars along the trail coming and going when I was training up for Ranger School.

Im retired now and living in my house in Cottonade. Are there and trails adjacent to Yadkin or will I have to go all up to Area J.??
Sounds like a good time to take your car over to the MATA Mile Parking lot on Son Tay and do a little exploring.

Except where the new highway is going through the paved part along Yadkin and Reilly is still there.

I didn't get out and measure but just looking they've taken at least 100 yards back from the edge of post along Brunswick & Welsh in Cottonade. So all the trail intersections for that whole length are gone.

Still a lot of woods back there and I'm sure over time a trail will develop along the edge of the chain link fence they put up.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 22:34   #6
abc_123
Quiet Professional

I remember my first day after showing up to the team, being a loooong run on the MATA Mile. (welcome, young captain!) Lots of other loooong runs that somehow corresponded to teammates first day back from leave.