Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 02-05-2018, 08:10   #1
RichL025
Quiet Professional

Russian Pilot uses grenade to avoid capture

Yes, they are our adversaries both in this conflict, and globally.

But that does not mean we can't admire heroism, and respect the tough decision that pilot had to make....

Prayers & respect to him & his family, and anyone who has to make that decision.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/russia-ra...101050822.html

(But pilots carrying grenades? Really???)
Old 02-05-2018, 08:58   #2
Mustang Man
Guerrilla

Quote:
Militants from al-Qaeda-linked Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) opened fire on him after his parachute opened, but he made it to the ground. According to a video circulating*on social media on Monday, Major Filipov shot two fighters before detonating a grenade to avoid capture.
Much respect. He would have been a dead man either way...

Now comes the fun part where we wait and see how these radical jihadists acquired shoulder fired MANPADS.

Quote:
A Syrian special forces operation is reportedly underway in the area where a Russian Su-25 jet was downed by a MANPAD rocket on Saturday. The goal is to find evidence allowing the weapon to be traced to its origin.

The Russian warplane was downed by a shoulder-fired anti-aircraft rocket, according to the Russian defense ministry. Moscow is very interested in establishing how exactly the weapon system got into the hands of the militant group responsible for attack, Russian MP Vikotor Volodarsky told RIA Novosti.

“The group that had the MANPAD has been destroyed by the Russian Air Force. Now the Syrian commandos are working on the ground. If they find elements of that launcher, we could trace its serial number and establish its origin to the factory in a few days, find out how it got there,”*the Russian MP said. He added Russian planes are providing air support to the Syrian troops.

Earlier the US asserted that it did not provide the MANPAD to the group which shot down the Russian plane.*“The United States have not provided any of its allied forces in Syria with anti-aircraft weapons,”*Pentagon spokesman Maj. Adrian J.T. Rankine-Galloway told TASS.
https://www.rt.com/news/417831-syria...manpad-search/

BMT

Last edited by Mustang Man; 02-05-2018 at 09:38.
Mustang Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:02   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Major Roman Filipo
Russian Hero
RIP Warrior
Vaya con Dios

Quote:
Maj Filipov, from the eastern city of Vladivostok, has been posthumously nominated for the Kremlin's highest honour - the Hero of Russia, according to a report in Russian daily newspaper Kommersant.
Still,, I'm a little leary,, How did the Hayat Tahrir al-Sham grunts manage DLPT 3+/3+/3+ in Russian?

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:05   #4
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Flashback... From Libya? LINK

Mr Michetti, an experienced investigator for a London-based company that tracks the sources of small arms in conflict zones, travelled there on a hunch. Local fighters, he reckoned, may have some of the shoulder-held anti-aircraft missiles that disappeared when rebels ousted the Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.

In the sweltering heat, the gunmen unveiled a small arsenal: four Russian-made SA-7 missiles and two later models of the SA-16 variety. The heat-seeking missiles are capable of shooting down a civilian airliner.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:48   #5
DaveMatteson
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL025 View Post
Yes, they are our adversaries both in this conflict, and globally.

But that does not mean we can't admire heroism, and respect the tough decision that pilot had to make....

Prayers & respect to him & his family, and anyone who has to make that decision.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/russia-ra...101050822.html

(But pilots carrying grenades? Really???)
You should look up some of the weapons the Cosmonauts carry with them into space.
Old 02-05-2018, 13:12   #6
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I would not allow those assholes to capture me alive either........
Old 02-05-2018, 16:11   #7
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I would not allow those assholes to capture me alive either........
Ditto
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 17:18   #8
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Still,, I'm a little leary,, How did the Hayat Tahrir al-Sham grunts manage DLPT 3+/3+/3+ in Russian?
HTS has Uzbek, Tajik, and Chechen units. It’s worth noting that Abu Umar al-Shishani’s jihadist unit (JAMWA, Army of Emigrants and Supporters) was aligned with Al Nusra (earlier name for HTS) before splitting between ISIS and ANF.

ISIS used to have similar ethnically divided units with some estimates claiming 3400 coming from Russia, making them the largest source of foreign fighters.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...gn-fighters-r/

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 17:20   #9
PRB
Quiet Professional

Valhalla bound....
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 17:23   #10
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
HTS has ....
Thanks

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 17:34   #11
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
That burst decodes as " sh.t Jiffy Pop Danger Close with some Willy Pete"...*
RIP

AKA: осторожная катастрофа

*Cluster Bombs and Phosphorus

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart

Last edited by Golf1echo; 02-06-2018 at 00:42.
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 19:00   #12
EricV
Guerrilla

Vladimir Shamanov, head of the State Duma Defense Committee, to Interfax on shootdown of Russian fighter: "There are more than a thousand representatives of American instructors in Idlib, and it is impossible to exclude that they could do this for provocative purposes."

Video of the MANPADS launch and hit has someone in clear English remarking, “Got him! Got him! Got him!” Potentially a bit of not-good going on here.

https://twitter.com/qalaatalmudiq/st...07906374963200
Old 02-05-2018, 19:41   #13
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Russian versions of events tend to change as facts are presented.

If the story is as described, MAJ Filipov did the right thing and is a hero.

RIP, Major!

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 19:53   #14
RichL025
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricV View Post

Video of the MANPADS launch and hit has someone in clear English remarking, “Got him! Got him! Got him!” Potentially a bit of not-good going on here.

https://twitter.com/qalaatalmudiq/st...07906374963200
I have no idea what you are talking about. I listened to that video several times and do not hear what you claim to hear. At what time-stamp do you think you hear that?
Old 02-05-2018, 20:39   #15
sfshooter
Quiet Professional

I would think the SA-7 Grail are probably still out there in abundance. Not withstanding the following report from Wikipedia so extrapolate what you will from it:

During the current civil war, several Strelas have made their way to rebel hands and their firings have been uploaded to YouTube. In 2013, Foreign Policy, citing rebels sources, reported the shipment, with Qatari help, of some 120 SA-7s from Libya (with large stocks acquired by Muammar Gaddafi and proliferated after that country's civil war) through Turkey and with Turkish authorities' knowledge[11][15][16]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9K32_Strela-2

"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people........" George Mason
sfshooter is offline   Reply With Quote