Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 05-31-2017, 11:18   #46
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjefe View Post
^^^^^So, they are lowering the standard to accommodate females. They are saying "you only have to be as strong as a girl to be in the infantry"
Does that mean that the guys now have to run like "Girly Men"? LOL .....I know as a woman I could not even compete in that type of training no matter how fit mentally and physically I am; standards should never be lowered because you are a woman. Either you go through the course as everyone else, or don't go at all.

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:47   #47
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdengler View Post
Does that mean that the guys now have to run like "Girly Men"? LOL .....I know as a woman I could not even compete in that type of training no matter how fit mentally and physically I am; standards should never be lowered because you are a woman. Either you go through the course as everyone else, or don't go at all.
Rita,

Great response! I have had the same attitude since way back when, when this topic first came up, and a certain female attempted to pass the Q Course. Beeotch!

That thread was a great learning tool for me as a female, and only one of the reasons I completely agree with topic of this thread, and its author, The Reaper.

The other reasons can be found in the trove of threads on this topic, here at PS.

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:48   #48
bblhead672
Area Commander

Should Women Go Into Combat? By Catherine L. Aspy

Quote:
Combat is not primarily about brains, or patriotism, or dedication to duty. There is no question women soldiers have those in abundance. Combat is about war-fighting capacity and the morale of the unit. Here physical strength can be a life-and-death issue.
Ran across this old article (Readers Digest Feb 1999), the truth she writes about from her experience wouldn't gain her any friends in today's Army.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 14:03   #49
ddoering
Quiet Professional

The truth is rarely popular.
ddoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 16:40   #50
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post
Should Women Go Into Combat? By Catherine L. Aspy

Ran across this old article (Readers Digest Feb 1999), the truth she writes about from her experience wouldn't gain her any friends in today's Army.
A good read, I think the article is timeless and the points made back then are every bit as valid today.
Old 08-08-2017, 17:33   #51
PSM
Area Commander

Nature is only interested in procreation. Men are expendable since they can not birth and nurture the next generation . . . which includes their own replacements.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 19:33   #52
trinity
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post
This article is right on the money, and matches my experience as well as that of my sister. We, too, started out believing that with sufficient desire, hard work, and proper training, a woman could do any job a man could do. We both did a complete 180 on that over the course of our time on active duty.

One issue that the author doesn't touch on is the psychological changes that take place when a woman makes the shift from being naturally a nurturer to becoming a warrior (even notionally). I noticed it most when I became a mother and realized that I had to work at recovering that nurturing that my children needed.
trinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:21   #53
TFA303
Auxiliary

Or, to put it in Greek-language terms:

Unit integrity is based on phillia. Introducing eros into the equation destroys it.

And no, the Jannisaries don't disprove this.
TFA303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:18   #54
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
I noticed they still have not made the PT standards the same for men and women, yet all are equal.
I thought we had gender neutral standards in combat MOS,s at least as I understand it in combat MOSs the standards are related to the job has this not happened?

It's a good thing we were not in full peer to peer war during Obama's reign he would have surrendered and then apologized with the promise of Americans in permanent serfdom with our military resources in full humanitarium mode in the enemies country building mosques and Stalinist statues
Old 08-10-2017, 13:03   #55
Box
Quiet Professional

The equal PT standard is a myth. It only gets you through the door of the school house.

For example...
a 20 year old soldier
a 30 year old soldier
a 40 year old soldier

...all must meet the same standard when taking a PT test to get into "elite" aRmy schools.

Once they get to a unit, they are held to the standard that matches their age/gender

So in theory - a female that graduates from 11B school will compete against other infantrypersons while being graded on the female PT scale.

Just like the same classmates that scored a 290 on the PT test to get into school will have different scores based on age when they take a PT test at their unit.

Equality in standards is a lie.
It is only "temporary" equality.
but hey.... as long as everyone gets a chance - the terrain on the Korean peninsula is being gender normed even as I type this snarky and misinformed post.................
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 13:36   #56
Pete
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post
I thought we had gender neutral standards in combat MOS,s at least as I understand it in combat MOSs the standards are related to the job has this not happened?....
OPAT is here. Occupational Physical Assessment Test.

An officer's take on it.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/your-a...ls-no-punches/

"...The current standard for combat arms, according to the OPAT, requires you to have the lower body power of mediocre 12-year-old, the upper body power of an elite 14-year-old, the strength of an average 13-to-15-year-old who works out, and the endurance level of a fit senior citizen..."

Article on it.

http://www.fortgordonglobe.com/news/...standards.html
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 14:39   #57
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

An officer's take on it.

"...The current standard for combat arms, according to the OPAT, requires you to have the lower body power of mediocre 12-year-old, the upper body power of an elite 14-year-old, the strength of an average 13-to-15-year-old who works out, and the endurance level of a fit senior citizen..."

Article on it.

Thanks for sharing those links Pete. The kid in the pic doing the deadlift must have been showing off I total that up to 400# on the bar, who cannot deadlift 160#'s ?
Old 08-10-2017, 17:15   #58
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
Thanks for sharing those links Pete. The kid in the pic doing the deadlift must have been showing off I total that up to 400# on the bar, who cannot deadlift 160#'s ?
Those are the new rubber weights the bigger ones weight 25 lbs and the thinner one on the end weighs 10?. The sound of clanking steel is not seen as often as it once was.
Old 08-10-2017, 17:20   #59
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

An officer's take on it.

Article on it.

OMG that is what they came up with?? and there is something like that already in Group I just realized?? the THOR program does an assessment like that with weighted pull ups I heard there is a guy who can deadlift 700+ lbs.
Old 08-10-2017, 20:41   #60
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post
Those are the new rubber weights the bigger ones weight 25 lbs and the thinner one on the end weighs 10?. The sound of clanking steel is not seen as often as it once was.
Thanks for that info, rubber weights?? In my day anything that size was 45# and we did PT in combat boots. I guess I have become a FOG not as old as some FOG's but a FOG none the less.