Old 07-18-2010, 17:01   #1
Richard
Quiet Professional

Green Beret From El Paso Met Valiant, Obscure Death In Vietnam

And so it goes...

Richard

Green Beret From El Paso Met Valiant, Obscure Death In Vietnam
ElPasoTimes, 18 July 2010

Sgt. John Robert Jones, a Green Beret from El Paso, is the forgotten man in one of the most storied battles of Vietnam.

His fighting spirit is part of the historic record, but Jones' selflessness has often been overlooked in accounts of what happened in the fight for Hickory Hill.

Not a word was written about him in his hometown newspapers after the Army reported him missing in action on June 5, 1971. Jones' body has never been found. This is his story, reconstructed with the help of the last American who saw him, Medal of Honor recipient Jon R. Cavaiani.

Jones was part of an Army Special Forces platoon assigned to the isolated Hickory Hill radio relay site in Vietnam. Described by other soldiers as stocky, tough and determined, Jones was 22 years old in the spring of 1971.

With him at Hickory Hill were 16 other Special Forces soldiers and 68 commandos from the highlands of South Vietnam who were helping the Americans. U.S. soldiers called these allies Montagnards, French for "the mountain people."

Starting on June 3, a North Vietnamese unit of superior size stormed the hill with rifles, mortars and rocket-propelled grenades. Cavaiani, a staff sergeant, knew his forces were outgunned, so he moved to save them from an onslaught.

Cavaiani repeatedly exposed himself to heavy enemy fire as he led his platoon "in a desperate fight for survival," his Medal of Honor citation says. Providing covering fire, he directed the first three helicopters that began evacuating his men. Then he kept up the fight.

By the early morning hours of June 5, only Cavaiani, Jones and 17 South Vietnamese commandos remained to defend the mountaintop. Jones had assured Cavaiani that the carnage on Hickory Hill was nothing new to him and that he wanted to stay in the battle.

"I found out that he exaggerated his combat experience," Cavaiani said in a telephone interview from his home in California. "He was a good kid. I take people at their word, but I regret now that I kept Jones back with me."

Cavaiani, though just 27 at the time, regarded himself as the grizzled warrior. To him, Jones seemed very young, Green Beret or not.

Cavaiani hoped to get everybody out alive, by force or by trickery. He continued to fire away at the attackers as the last 17 Montagnards tried to escape. Some made it. Others died.

Jones went to retrieve the radio. "Charlie," as Cavaiani called the North Vietnamese, "started the big attack" about the same time.

Then Jones and Cavaiani found themselves together, trapped in a 9-by-9-foot bunker. An enemy soldier dropped a grenade through a hole in the bunker, and the blast wounded Jones in a leg.

With enemy soldiers converging, Cavaiani said, Jones said he would surrender. Cavaiani, intent on a different survival strategy, told Jones he was going to "play dead." He hoped the North Vietnamese would overlook him in the darkness and chaos.

As Jones stepped out of the bunker, he spat a profanity at the enemy. "They shot and killed him then," Cavaiani said.

A couple of the enemy soldiers spotted Cavaiani. They poked at him with their rifles, and were satisfied that he was dead. They set the bunker on fire and moved on.

Burned, exhausted and determined, Cavaiani ran from that bunker to another. Escape, though, proved impossible. Enemy soldiers captured him soon after.

They held him as a prisoner of war for 21 months, until March 1973. The following year, President Ford awarded Cavaiani the Medal of Honor, America's highest decoration for combat valor.

Once free and back in the states, he said, he visited El Paso to see Jones' parents. He said he remembered little about that time, but wanted to tell them in person how brave Jones had been under incredible pressure.

"Jones was just a young kid. He did his job up there," Cavaiani said.

The Army awarded Jones the Silver Star, the third-highest medal for valor.

Jones was listed as a student at Irvin High School in 1968, but did not graduate, a school district spokesman said.

His exploits in Vietnam went unpublicized in El Paso after his disappearance and presumed death. In the intervening years, attention bestowed on Cavaiani cast some light on Jones' story.

Cavaiani said he has the coordinates of the spot where bullets felled Jones. He said he hoped the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command might still be able to locate his remains and verify his identity through DNA.

Had he lived, Jones would have turned 61 this year.

Instead, he died young and became one of El Paso's forgotten soldiers. Cavaiani, though, will always remember him.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_15542695?source=rss
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 17:19   #2
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

RIP Brother, you are missed and will never be forgotten.

Thanks Richard for the post....
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 18:44   #3
Tatonka316
Gold Star Father

Rest in Peace, SGT Jones. Thank you for your service and your sacrifice.

molon labe
Tatonka316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 20:41   #4
rdret1
Quiet Professional

Rest in Peace Sgt Jones.

~ Paul Brunton (1898-1981)

R.D. Winters
rdret1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:40   #5
f50lrrp
BANNED USER

May the Lord bless And keep you Sgt. Jones.
f50lrrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:49   #6
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Rest In Peace Sgt. Jones.
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:11   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

RIP, Sergeant Jones.

You are not forgotten.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:42   #8
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Rest In Peace, Sgt Jones.

I was 22 years old in 1971. Jones must have been a class or two ahead of me at SFTG.

God Bless SSG Cavaiani for keeping his brother's memory alive.

Last edited by ZonieDiver; 07-19-2010 at 17:08. Reason: Correct spelling error
ZonieDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 14:19   #9
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

RIP Brother, you will never be forgotten.

Blue skies and softer landings!!

Thanks Richard for the post....

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 16:35   #10
Trip_Wire (RIP)
Quiet Professional

RIP, SGT Jones.

You are not forgotten.

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.
Trip_Wire (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 19:27   #11
akv
Area Commander

RIP, and Thank You Sgt. Jones
"Men Wanted: for Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” -Sir Ernest Shackleton

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” –Greek proverb
akv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 21:25   #12
18C4V
Quiet Professional

Thanks for posting this.
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:37   #13
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

God Bless,Rest in Peace Warrior...............

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 18:47   #14
bluebb
Quiet Professional

Rest in Peace Warrior

Blue

NOUS DEFIONS
bluebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 17:45   #15
Gypsy
Area Commander

Thanks to Richard's post, we can all remember and honor the bravery of SGT Jones. May his remains be found and brought home.

Rest in Peace.