Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 09-10-2007, 20:28   #31
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

IIRC, it was "Lessons Learned" and was put together by the folks at B53 Camp Long Thanh.

There was also a post in here a couple of years ago:

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...d%22#post93450

Terry,

The "Overspeed Issue", was a Main Rotor. We operated High and Hot in Laos!! We could only carry 4 folks per ship. Hence the question of if they could carry 6 out!! My 12 man team took a flight of at least 9 Slicks!!! Three for us and six more to haul us and the 4 man crews out if things went south!!
Old 09-15-2007, 20:06   #32
MAB32

Cap and AM you are correct. I found it in a copy of the: POI 7658, Patrolling FTX, "Combat Recon Manual, Republic of Vietnam". Prepared by Project (B-52) Delta, HQ. Nha Trang.

Under [B]"M-16/CAR-15 Tips", #9 states: "During extraction do not fire weapons from helicopters after leaving the LZ because a gunship may be passing under you without your knowledge."

I would also think that this would also mean grenades and "any" aircraft passing below you. Just MHO.
Old 02-07-2008, 16:22   #33
regis gmitter
Asset

thanks for stopping by.......
regis gmitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 16:49   #34
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by regis gmitter View Post
thanks for stopping by.......

And you are?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 17:15   #35
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
And you are?

TR
TR,
Possibly a Team Member of RT Hawaii, MAC-V-SOG CCC!!! From above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB32 View Post
This is a recording of two Recon Teams (RT's) who are in dire straits. Both RT's are loosing a battle wherby death is immenient. Those RT's are: RT Colorado with Pat Mitchel being the 1-0, Lyn St. Laurent as the 1-1, and David "Lurch" Mixter as the 1-3. RT Colorado is an eight man team including the five Indigenous troops. The other was RT Hawaii with Les Dover as the 1-0, Regis Gmitter the 1-1, and John Justice the 1-2

Reg,...............is that really you?!?!?!

Take care.
Martin
Old 06-15-2008, 21:29   #36
C46thVA
Asset

Wow, thats some crazy s**t. One of the more intense recordings Ive heard. Hats off to all the Soggies out there.

With the proper equipment would it be possible to isolate some of the different "conversations" and then listen to them seperately ?

JW
C46thVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:43   #37
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB32 View Post
I found it in a copy of the: POI 7658, Patrolling FTX, "Combat Recon Manual, Republic of Vietnam". Prepared by Project (B-52) Delta, HQ. Nha Trang.
Just came across this thread. The original document for this was titled "Reconnaissance Tips of the Trade" and was prepared by two of B52s most experienced NCOs, Joe Alderman and Norm Doney (who was the Recon Co 1SG at CCC when the Tips were written). This POI has expanded the original Tips and also has some of the elements found in the MACVSOG RT Leaders Handbook circa '69 plus a few other pics to 'sex' it up a bit I guess.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 23:01   #38
cornelyj
Guerrilla

Thanks for the link MAB32.
I just stumbled on this thread and will order the book ASAP.
"working and coming in hot and heavy"
There is no magic about being an officer, it is just a different level of responsibility with additional demands to that puts the burden on your shoulders for everything your team does or fails to do.

-Jack M.
cornelyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 19:24   #39
ranger2339
SF Candidate

Wow this is some good stuff, I just got done reading Secret Commandos and this is just intense to listen to. I dont even know what to say but thanks!

Josh
ranger2339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 20:45   #40
MAB32

For last Memorial Day...

Thought that I would re-post this thread for all the new people to hear. Should have posted this for Memorial Day.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:05   #41
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Heard it for the first time.

Just heard this for the first time - takes your breath away - figured this thread needs another kickstart.

I had a few beers with Martin (Ambush Master) two days ago and listened for nearly two hours as he talked about much of his time on RT New York.

He mentioned Plaster's book, also which I have not read - but will as soon as I can get a copy. And that conversation eventually took me to this Thread.

Wow - has anyone ever attemtped a "written transcript" of this?

One interesting thing. I went though Phase 1 with Gmitter - haven't heard from him, or even thought about him since 1969. It appeared that he jumped in on this thread for one posting - but if so, he he didn't make a second. Anybody know his where bouts these days?

Last edited by Mitch; 09-26-2009 at 14:07.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:30   #42
mojaveman
Area Commander

That was some interesting drama to listen to. When I was in 5th back in the mid '80s there were a few SOG veterans in our Battalion including LTC Tangney. I was fortunate enough to hear some of their stories first hand and they were pretty incredible. Those guys definately earned and secured their place in history.

Last edited by mojaveman; 05-10-2013 at 17:46.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 14:10   #43
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojaveman View Post
That was some interesting drama to listen to. When I was in 5th back in the mid 80s there were a few SOG veterans in our Battalion including LTC William Patrick T. I was fortunate enough to hear some of their stories first hand and they were incredible. Those guys definately earned and secured their place in history.
Damn right!
Old 09-28-2009, 08:52   #44
SdAufKla
Quiet Professional

I literally got goose bumps listening to that.

Did I understand the comment at the end about turning the tape over to the next side? Is there more?
Old 09-29-2009, 20:43   #45
MAB32

SdAufKla,

That is not part of the original. Was added on by a person that was never in SOG before and wouldn't know for sure.