Old 01-29-2018, 10:46   #1
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Nationalized 5G network (??)

The U.S. long ago decided that we weren't going to control tech through manufacturing but through ideas and consumption.

Well, we're getting bit in the arse over that choice and now that our "trusted" counterparts in the EU are becoming overwhelmed by nation-state-sponsored corporations is it too late to rethink the approach?

"Flipping the script" is spoken of. I don't think we have the stomach or the motivation.

Interesting read.

Take a look at the accompanying slides and extract of the white paper. (I realize that various papers on topics are a dime a dozen in government...so FWIW).

Link here

Quote:
The main points: The documents say America needs a centralized nationwide 5G network within three years. There'll be a fierce debate inside the Trump administration — and an outcry from the industry — over the next 6-8 months over how such a network is built and paid for

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:04   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
I'm on the fence
  • Don't like bureaucrats in any fashion
  • Outfits like Verizon only do what makes money. In the case of technology, they drag their feet until a competitor ups the anti.
  • The chip manufacturers want to sell you a new phone at least monthly, so they jump on technology.

I think the big question is:

Will the World move all communications and computing infrastructure to cell phone technology OR WIFI..

If you recognize that in the future a nation's infrastructure includes Cell Phone and/or WIFI,, you probably will need government intervention.

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:09   #3
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
I think the big question is:

Will the World move all communications and computing infrastructure to cell phone technology OR WIFI..

If you recognize that in the future a nation's infrastructure includes Cell Phone and/or WIFI,, you probably will need government intervention.

There are nations (albeit small Euro) that have "cut the cord". Likewise developing nations are moving directly to cellular as a less-complex solution to a wired infrastructure (that wifi will require)

Desired data speeds, network congestion issues and demand for data driven by IoT and smart city movements are forcing things forward, at least for the metro areas of the U.S. Gig bands and required infrastructure architecture don't translate well to the rural landscape.

Another point is our (lack of) ability to ensure a secure supply chain.

James Madison
Old 01-29-2018, 11:35   #4
tonyz
Area Commander

I despise bureaucracy, also.

But, there is a place for government to take on big infrastructure programs (I’m thinking of this communication infrastructure as analogous to an interstate highway system or early utility programs in the rural south or west). And, we can learn from those projects.

There must be clear, reachable and defined goals. There must be budgetary constraints. Then, and perhaps most importantly there must be a clear timetable for reducing or eliminating the federal government’s role in any such project.

Trump is a builder.

He just might be the president who could get this done and then get government out of the way.

On the down side I wonder what snooping protocols BIGGOV could build into such a national system.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:21   #5
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post

But, there is a place for government to take on big infrastructure programs (I’m thinking of this communication infrastructure as analogous to an interstate highway system or early utility programs in the rural south or west). And, we can learn from those projects.

There must be clear, reachable and defined goals. There must be budgetary constraints. Then, and perhaps most importantly there must be a clear timetable for reducing or eliminating the federal government’s role in any such project.

Trump is a builder.

He just might be the president who could get this done and then get government out of the way.

On the down side I wonder what snooping protocols BIGGOV could build into such a national system.
government does not do infrastructure well. Just look how they let the roads fall apart. I see gov infrastructure programs all the time for work and it takes forever while the carriers upgrade constantly. Not a good outcome and it will stifle new tech.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 15:06   #6
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

I think, given enough profit margin, telecoms could push the limits like SpaceX has with NASA’s old “monopoly”.

I could see the USG making a “new” TDMA network and calling it 5G...cuz the plans cost $5,000!

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 15:52   #7
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Nationalized

They lost me at "Nationalized"

If you want it you pay for it. Period.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:05   #8
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
Not a fan of it. If trump sets up a great program the next obama type will fuck it up and that is best case. No govt needs to keep hands off. If they want their own network build it like verizon and att did.
It doesn't matter who is POTUS, government will fuck it up while spending billions more than the original cost "sold" to taxpayers.

In the end, we'd all be better off investing in amateur radio!
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 20:05   #9
CloseDanger
Guerrilla

No

Make the laws and regulations geared toward the desired effect.
It is not a public utility.
The private sector handles everything better.
CloseDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 20:36   #10
Noah Werka
Quiet Professional

Corporate humor...

Burger king joins the fray

Noah W
Noah Werka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 20:42   #11
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Werka View Post
Corporate humor...

Burger king joins the fray

Noah W
Burger King should stick with hold the pickles and hold the lettuce and stay the F*** out of politics.
Old 02-03-2018, 16:35   #12
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Well, wouldn't you know....

Quote:
Air Force general behind 5G memo leaves White House

Seems someone leaned too far forward.

Quote:
Air Force Brig. Gen. Robert Spalding is no longer serving as NSC senior director for strategic planning. Spalding was not fired, according to the official, who said his detail had ended and was not renewed.
Stars and Stripes

James Madison
Old 02-04-2018, 07:22   #13
7624U
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post

Its called a Govt network, We don't need a warrant to keep and manage all of yours and the Govt data on its G5 network or use it against you in a new court of law they would make with new cyber police to go along with the network. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D7cPH7DHgA

I could also see IA training mandates before you use the network and violations would get you kicked off. (current Govt policy)

No thanks I like unfiltered internet if I am willing to pay for it.

"Me"

Last edited by 7624U; 02-04-2018 at 07:25.
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote