Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 07-15-2008, 17:16   #1
Paslode
Area Commander

MIOX Purifier

Last week I was reading Reaper's topic SURVIVE! I read many of your post and the MIOX Purifier kept coming up, and I was quite curious as to how it functioned and to see first hand if it was as simple and effective as billed. So I picked one up on Ebay and gave it a try....and it performed just as stated.

Absolutely amazing what it does for the money!

Now with the MIOX if the water tower and WD1 fail I can go to the culvert and have potable water in 4 hours

During my research on the MIOX I ran across a few interesting things you may or may not find useful and I thought I would share them.

http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/WPD/...TION_PAPER.pdf

Nice Tuitorials and presentations:

http://cascadedesignsmilitary.com/

Many thanks to The Reaper for answering my question!
Old 07-15-2008, 18:37   #2
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Nice links, hadn't seen the presentations before. Thanks for posting them.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:06   #3
Razor
Quiet Professional

Good info. Their conclusion regarding the efficacy of MIOX against Crypto is interesting, especially given the claims by MSR, Katadyn and other companyies that produce Cl water treatment (most claim 99.9% efficacy for Crypto with a 4hr contact time).
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:36   #4
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Good info. Their conclusion regarding the efficacy of MIOX against Crypto is interesting, especially given the claims by MSR, Katadyn and other companyies that produce Cl water treatment (most claim 99.9% efficacy for Crypto with a 4hr contact time).
On this link is a MSR MIOX chart and Crypto is blank where as the other pathogens are filled with 'Yes'.

http://www.miox.com/products/category/C12/

Here is another regarding clorine resistant pathogens:

http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/wat...-pathogens.htm

I believe the catch is noted in the CascadeDesigns literature where Cyrpto is eliminated when the MSR MIOX is used in Conjunction with the MSR Filter.

In addition different types of clorine perform better than others on crypto.

Then there is all the legal mumbo jumbo to cover ass.

Regardless, if it came to needing potable water and using the MIOX to achieve that, Crytosporidium would be the least of my worries.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:32   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paslode View Post
On this link is a MSR MIOX chart and Crypto is blank where as the other pathogens are filled with 'Yes'.

http://www.miox.com/products/category/C12/

Here is another regarding clorine resistant pathogens:

http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/wat...-pathogens.htm

I believe the catch is noted in the CascadeDesigns literature where Cyrpto is eliminated when the MSR MIOX is used in Conjunction with the MSR Filter.

In addition different types of clorine perform better than others on crypto.

Then there is all the legal mumbo jumbo to cover ass.

Regardless, if it came to needing potable water and using the MIOX to achieve that, Crytosporidium would be the least of my worries.
My read is that it does kill Crypto.

The chart dealing with bio contaminants only has four lines, and the MIOX shows four "Yes" answers. Looks more like a misaligned data entry.

Additionally, this is from the footnote table: "The MSR MIOX Purifier requires 15 minutes for viruses and bacteria, 30 minutes for Giardia, and 4 hours for Cryptosporidium, and the quality of the source water is irrelevant. "

And: "The device has passed the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) Guide Standard and Protocol for Microbiological Purifiers, inactivating viruses, bacteria, and the protozoan cysts Giardia and Cryptosporidium in both clean and dirty waters. No pumping is required."

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:02   #6
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post

The chart dealing with bio contaminants only has four lines, and the MIOX shows four "Yes" answers. Looks more like a misaligned data entry.

TR
Good find!
Old 07-19-2008, 13:04   #7
Fiercely Loyal
Guerrilla

I have been looking to pick up a MIOX, however they are about $135 up here in Alaska. Are they running about the same price down in the lower 48?
Old 07-19-2008, 15:20   #8
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post

Additionally, this is from the footnote table: "The MSR MIOX Purifier requires 15 minutes for viruses and bacteria, 30 minutes for Giardia, and 4 hours for Cryptosporidium, and the quality of the source water is irrelevant. "

And: "The device has passed the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) Guide Standard and Protocol for Microbiological Purifiers, inactivating viruses, bacteria, and the protozoan cysts Giardia and Cryptosporidium in both clean and dirty waters. No pumping is required."

TR

Getting a little off thread, but we just had a crypto outbreak here in Phoenix.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...6pool0716.html
Old 07-19-2008, 15:32   #9
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiercely Loyal View Post
I have been looking to pick up a MIOX, however they are about $135 up here in Alaska. Are they running about the same price down in the lower 48?

I picked up a military version on Ebay for $66. It had been opened but never used and work like a charm. And it is so simple to operate my 5 year old has the general idea.
Old 07-19-2008, 20:34   #10
jatx
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiercely Loyal View Post
MSR offers a steep military discount - just call them (or join leoadventures.com).
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote