Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 08-27-2015, 23:18   #16
PSM
Area Commander

Ricardo, mi amigo, did you pick up some rose-colored granny glasses on your last visit to the Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco? I don’t recall a single peep from you regarding the serious financial distress that your new state of residence, California, is in.

While I’m not sold on Trump, he’s hammering buttons that all of the other GOP candidates need to be, at least, tickling.

Care to share who you like at the moment?

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:15   #17
Penn
Area Commander

Quote:
Trump is more Progressive than I'd like, but one thing is for sure, he is NOT the career politician (both sides of the aisle) that has DESTROYED our once great Nation, so I for one am more than ready for something completely different, and right now Trump is as different as you can vote for.
This is what Joe citizen is responding too, anger, pure and simple. And, its exactly what the "career politician" don't understand. Remember the confrontation they face when obama care was being presented? What did they do, they passed a law that restricts you from confronting them, we have had enough. Pass the cake, off with their heads!!!

Quote:
Funniest thing I've read lately.
Bankruptcy

Bankruptcy laws were created to afford the individual, or corporation, the opportunity to regroup.

Filing stays your current debt, allows you to continue to conduct business, while you work out a payment structure (under court supervision) with your creditors. It’s a process, nothing more or less to seek relief.

For businesses that want survive the process and continue, creditors must be willing to support and hold the debt while you move forward restructuring your cash flow. Usually, for the small business, its debt reduction agreed to with a strict payment schedule, that has flexibility to readjust to changing, or unforeseen conditions, while paying for new products or services COD, until you are financially stable again, or you fail. It’s a ball breaking process.

The procedures to file is no walk in the park. I investigated filing in 2009, after the financial crash of 2008. Over the next several years we opened and closed several small fine dining restaurants. We were in serious trouble, but chose not to because our creditors were willing to work with us, based on our history. Had our creditors not been willing to go the distance, I would have used the business laws of our beloved America, and walked away. Just like all the “Too big to Fail” did, to strive for success another day.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:34   #18
cbtengr
Area Commander

Time will tell if Trump is still standing and on the ticket for the general election. He is not the norm and obviously folks are fed up with the norm. politicians tell people what they think the people want to hear, in Trump we have someone telling people what they need to hear. We can do no worse with Trump in office.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:40   #19
Five-O
Guerrilla Chief

Trump is indeed, at this point, a very serious candidate. Any opponent still attempting to equate his popularity to that of a train wreck that you just can't turn away from, is underestimating the guy--at their own peril. His leadership, salesmanship and presence are remarkable and clearly his strength. However, I equate his "temper" and the way he attacks even mild critics as a real lack of maturity and self control. He is clearly a SME on negotiation and how the real world works and what it takes to be successful in business. His lack of intellectual depth is concerning; some of the ways in which he describes his proposed policies illustrate this lack of depth.

I happen, like most here, to find the guy incredibly entertaining but he has to grow more as a candidate and I need to hear more of his actual policies to be swayed. That said, if he got the nomination...he would get my vote.

Last edited by Five-O; 08-28-2015 at 06:32.
Five-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:23   #20
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Last time I looked at the Constitution, that wasn't the case.

"No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States."

Richard
I would like to agree, but

According to many that eligibility standard was thrown under the bus in 2008 with the election of a Kenyan who became President of the World...so anybody can be President, anybody can walk across the border and instantly become a citizen, anybody can get SS, SNAP, Medicare benefits anybody can be on city council and everybody has 2nd Amendment rights....and much,much, more

ANYBODY, not just legal citizens who have a vested interest.

So.....aside from having arrowless moral compass what else makes a candidate suitable to become the POTUS?
Old 08-28-2015, 06:27   #21
Paragrouper
Quiet Professional

From his Book

"I play to peoples fantasies. A little Hyperbole never hurts. People want to believe that something is the biggest and most spectacular." ~Donald Trump. The Art of the Deal (1987)

When you review Trump and other candidates, don't judge them simply by the promises they make or the bombastic way they deliver it. Judge their credibility and capability. Otherwise we end up with another crappy leader that can BS well.

"Beware the fury of of the patient man." ~John Dryden
Paragrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:55   #22
glebo
Quiet Professional

Trump kinda reminds me of "Back to School" with Rodney Dangerfield...lol
Old 08-28-2015, 07:17   #23
Pete
Quiet Professional

Interesting Polls

Interesting polls.

They all are showing a serious lack of desire for an establishment candidate.

If Trump dropped out I would think the biggest share of his support would migrate to Carson.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:27   #24
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragrouper View Post
"I play to peoples fantasies. A little Hyperbole never hurts. People want to believe that something is the biggest and most spectacular." ~Donald Trump. The Art of the Deal (1987)

When you review Trump and other candidates, don't judge them simply by the promises they make or the bombastic way they deliver it. Judge their credibility and capability. Otherwise we end up with another crappy leader that can BS well.
I think you hit the nail on the head with that comment! I was dismayed by (i) Trump's unwillingness to not commit to not running a 3rd party campaign and (ii) the apparent lack of substance to his proposals. Since then I have realized a couple of things:

1. Trump has an emotive style. He moves people from a position of complacency. A necessary quality in a "Leader" as opposed to a "Manager". He is visceral.

2. You cannot evaluate him like you would a wonky politician (e.g. Jeb Bush) and this is driving the pundits on the left and right crazy. Over intellectualized analysis (e.g. George Will) misses the point.

3. He has a perfect message and his messaging is nearly flawless.

4. His management style is probably predictive of his governance style - i.e. he will attract the best and brightest to key positions, tell them they are doing a lousy job, and drive them to a level of excellence beyond what they thought capable or fire them.

5. When he does put specifics to his goals and objectives he is correct. For example the kerfluffel over the 14th A and deportation of illegal immigrants. This drives his detractors into a state of apoplexy.

6. He gets things done! Remember he wrote the book on deal making so, yes, he can build a coalition.

7. He doesn't take himself too seriously and doesn't appear to hold grudges (even Rosie O). Prediction: If he wins the Nomination and goes on to win the Election, look for him to offer Megyn Kelly the Press Secretary position (he likes hot blondes with a brain).

Oh, and Penn, thanks for explaining Bankruptcy, saved me a post.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:21   #25
Richard
Quiet Professional

Is 'The Donald' a matter of 'reality' or 'perception'?

http://www.nationalmemo.com/21-quest...-donald-trump/

Personally, his bombastic, bullying 'style' bothers me, as does his historically amoral personal lifestyle, and I just don't see him as someone who would be effective in balancing the 'seven hats' that are said to be worn by the POTUS.

MOO.
__
BT

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:27   #26
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I would still vote for Trump rather than any of the Democratic possibilities.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:59   #27
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Is 'The Donald' a matter of 'reality' or 'perception'?

http://www.nationalmemo.com/21-quest...-donald-trump/

Personally, his bombastic, bullying 'style' bothers me, as does his historically amoral personal lifestyle, and I just don't see him as someone who would be effective in balancing the 'seven hats' that are said to be worn by the POTUS.

MOO.
__
BT

Richard

All those years spent living in California you just don't remember seeing a politician with a spine.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:01   #28
Javadrinker
Guerrilla

I find great similarities between what Trump says and what Cruz says. I'd vote for Trump, but not forget that it is the other 535 that need to really change. Prez will have a major say in reshaping the SCOTUS, and getting trade agreements reshaped, but without congressional change ....
Javadrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:02   #29
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

I love this guy on TV and I am entertained by his speeches.

However, if you guys knew how this guy really operates in the business world, both within his companies and in dealing with his business partners, I cannot imagine that any of you would support him. It is shocking to me that any Green Beret, given the community's views on things like not fucking over your teammates for your own benefit, could support him. That's all I have toupee.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:07   #30
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javadrinker View Post
I find great similarities between what Trump says and what Cruz says. I'd vote for Trump, but not forget that it is the other 535 that need to really change. Prez will have a major say in reshaping the SCOTUS, and getting trade agreements reshaped, but without congressional change ....
"social media" has forever changed the way we do business. Social media now controls hundreds of millions mindless idiots and targets the new users to change their value system.

My point, change is not going to happen unless the way most view social media does. Those mindless millions no longer think for themselves and their voting shows it.

Taking over the world is the mindless social media crowd, get used to it.