Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 07-31-2015, 10:23   #16
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Looking at orders from 1964, the rank designations used were: SP4 E4, SP5 E5, SGT E5, SSG E5, SFC E7, MSG E8, SGM E9, 1ST LT, CAPT, MAJ.
That's interesting. I don't have any orders handy to refer back to, but we had name cards for the lecterns when I was an instructor at the USACS/EW School and they read SSGT, 2ndLT, 1stLT, MSGT, 1stSGT, etc. Maybe the use varied with the circumstance.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:39   #17
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
That's interesting. I don't have any orders handy to refer back to, but we had name cards for the lecterns when I was an instructor at the USACS/EW School and they read SSGT, 2ndLT, 1stLT, MSGT, 1stSGT, etc. Maybe the use varied with the circumstance.

Pat
Well Intel has always been in their own world
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:52   #18
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
Well Intel has always been in their own world
(How goes the vacation?)

Cover art from the 45 below.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
Old 07-31-2015, 12:07   #19
PSM
Area Commander

This reminds me: I was a single stripe PFC when they added the rocker. My mother read in The Daily Oklahoman that the Army was going to use the Marine's term LCpl for their E-3s. So, she started addressing my mail to LCpl Mc. That instantly became my nickname. Even Top called me LCpl, even when I went before the promotion board for E-4.

Pat

Old 07-31-2015, 13:25   #20
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Personally I really don't care as I've never been down with the "jump and die" part......

I like to think we're the ones that make the enemy die for his cause and his country......

(Where's General Patton when we really need him.......)
Old 07-31-2015, 19:35   #21
CAARNG 68W
Guerrilla

Quote:
This reminds me: I was a single stripe PFC when they added the rocker. My mother read in The Daily Oklahoman that the Army was going to use the Marine's term LCpl for their E-3s. So, she started addressing my mail to LCpl Mc. That instantly became my nickname. Even Top called me LCpl, even when I went before the promotion board for E-4.

Pat
I've read that the Army had a Lance Corporal rank at one point, but was done away with in the late 60's; how come?
CAARNG 68W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 20:31   #22
VVVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAARNG 68W View Post
I've read that the Army had a Lance Corporal rank at one point, but was done away with in the late 60's; how come?
As a soldier from the '60s I have to say....No way Jose! You've been reading science fiction!
Old 07-31-2015, 20:37   #23
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
It didn't happen but may have been tossed around in the press. This was 1968 and I was on Okinawa and out of the news loop. The misinformation is why I got the nickname.

(BTW, no toes were stepped on, it's just that you called it a pet peeve and I was pointing out that things change and different generations have different terms. )

Pat

Last edited by PSM; 07-31-2015 at 20:40.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:29   #24
CAARNG 68W
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
As a soldier from the '60s I have to say....No way Jose! You've been reading science fiction!
Sometimes I can't tell the difference between Sci-Fi and what I discover on Wikipedia,

"The United States Army had the rank of lance corporal from at least 1821 (Regulations for the Army, July 1821) to 1920.[10] It was reinstated from 1965 to 1968 signified by one chevron with a rocker underneath. The insignia later became private first class in 1968 with the former one chevron of a PFC, becoming private E-2."

- From the Wiki entry on "Lance Corporal"

Quote:
It didn't happen but may have been tossed around in the press. This was 1968 and I was on Okinawa and out of the news loop. The misinformation is why I got the nickname.

(BTW, no toes were stepped on, it's just that you called it a pet peeve and I was pointing out that things change and different generations have different terms. )

Pat
Ah salute ("salud"), thanks Pat.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:41   #25
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Sometimes I can't tell the difference between Sci-Fi and what I discover on Wikipedia,

"The United States Army had the rank of lance corporal from at least 1821 (Regulations for the Army, July 1821) to 1920.[10] It was reinstated from 1965 to 1968 signified by one chevron with a rocker underneath. The insignia later became private first class in 1968 with the former one chevron of a PFC, becoming private E-2."

- From the Wiki entry on "Lance Corporal"
I've never run across Lance Corporal as a US Army rank in anything I've ever read and the Institute of Heraldry makes no mention of any such rank in its history of enlisted rank insignia.

History of U.S. Army Enlisted Ranks

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Ca...med%20Services

According to USMC history, the use of Lance Corporal, although a title w/o any sort of insignia since the 1830s for Privates detailed to assume the duties of a Corporal, became less common when the rank of Private First Class appeared in 1917, a year after the US Army had created the rank. This continued in the USMC until the PFC rank was changed to Lance Corporal in the revisions of 1958.

USMC Ranks and Grades 1775-1969, Historical Division, Headquarters, USMC, 1970: pp 16-41.

https://archive.org/stream/RanksAndG...e/n19/mode/2up

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:07   #26
CAARNG 68W
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I've never run across Lance Corporal as a US Army rank in anything I've ever read and the Institute of Heraldry makes no mention of any such rank in its history of enlisted rank insignia.

History of U.S. Army Enlisted Ranks

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Ca...med%20Services

According to USMC history, the use of Lance Corporal, although a title w/o any sort of insignia since the 1830s for Privates detailed to assume the duties of a Corporal, became less common when the rank of Private First Class appeared in 1917, a year after the US Army had created the rank. This continued in the USMC until the PFC rank was changed to Lance Corporal in the revisions of 1958.

USMC Ranks and Grades 1775-1969, Historical Division, Headquarters, USMC, 1970: pp 16-41.

https://archive.org/stream/RanksAndG...e/n19/mode/2up

Richard
The confidence inspiring, and definitive answer always comes from the The Army Institute of Heraldy. Thanks Richard.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:22   #27
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Wikipedia, seriously....

Quote:
And the National Enquirer is your main news service?
Old 08-04-2015, 21:30   #28
CAARNG 68W
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
And the National Enquirer is your main news service?
Lol, no, I usually leave Fox News on loop, 24/7.