Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

View Poll Results: Who do you support for President in 2016? (Summer 2015)
Jeb Bush 8 5.93%
Ted Cruz 30 22.22%
Carly Fiorina 4 2.96%
Linsey Graham 0 0%
Mike Huckabee 2 1.48%
Rand Paul 23 17.04%
Rick Perry 5 3.70%
Marco Rubio 6 4.44%
Donald Trump 16 11.85%
Scott Walker 13 9.63%
Someone else 28 20.74%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2016, 07:37   #166
pcfixer
Guerrilla

Interesting Poll. My wife and I both voted for Trump here in Maryland. Very Democratic state indeed.
Trump will have to realized that most likely to win only by popular vote.
To date he has the most popular vote in history.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...le-are-voting/
pcfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:50   #167
abc_123
Quiet Professional

I believe that I was one of the "gang of 16" Lol.

Cruz supporters will take some time to come over to trump but many will as the choice is now Trump or the Clintons. That's it. Do not vote for Trump and you get the Clintons again.

All the talking head "conservative activists" and "conservative" pundits will spout doom and gloom about Trump and his negatives with women etc. and how he is not a "conservative" .... they are desperate and trying to hold onto some sort of power and relevance (if they ever really had any) for as long as they can before Trump makes them irrelevant.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:14   #168
Hand
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paslode View Post
Can you tell who the 16 were?
I was one.

At the time I was excited to see him shake things up. I still am, but it became a bit more of a jarring reality after I learned Cruz dropped out.

The convention could still offer some interesting drama.
Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:19   #169
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_123 View Post

Cruz supporters will take some time to come over to trump but many will as the choice is now Trump or the Clintons.
Not really. I'd rather have Trump 10 times over than HC or BS.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:29   #170
Penn
Area Commander

Why Trump won

imho, Trump won for a very simple reason: access to information.

The voting public, contrary to the media and party bosses desires, had access to a variety of information, via social media and sources accessible through search engines, on all the candidates.

I for one, utilized those platforms, and this informed my decisions process, why would that not be true of others? It may be evident in why Trump expanded the voting base, regardless of gender, race, or socioeconomic position. The voting public is more informed today because the WWW is most Democratic form of information gathering.

Quote:
I know no safe depositary of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them, but to inform their discretion by education. This is the true corrective of abuses of constitutional power." --Thomas Jefferson to William C. Jarvis, 1820. ME 15:278
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:12   #171
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Mr. Trump won because he has his finger on the pulse of the American people, just like President Reagan did.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:04   #172
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Mr. Trump won because he has his finger on the pulse of the American people, just like President Reagan did.
Exactly TS!

I had a few thoughts that I posted on FB last night. I was listening to Rich Lowry (editor of National Review) on Megyn Kelly when he commented on the evenings events. He was surprised that a non-politician could start with nothing, have no staff, or organization and become the apparent nominee of a major political party. In all fairness he did congratulate Donald Trump.

But my initial comment to the TV was "That's what entrepreneurs do, you ass hole." Then it occurred to me Lowry's comment was a reflection of the short-sighted ignorance that permeates all of the talking heads - hear me George Will?

It also occurred to me, many if not most of the electorate has been confined to their respective ideological bubbles, or echo chambers, hearing their own voices echoed back to them through other ideologs with identical mindsets thus reinforcing the correctness of their politically correct interpretation of reality.

Dare any contrarian view leak into the bubbles to be labeled (racist, bigot, bully, misogynist...) offensive tripe as they beat feet to a designated safe place free from all sorts of real or imagined microaggressions in a near perfect,orderly, controlled PC utopia.

One of our Brothers posted in SF Brothers a clip from one of my favorite movies, "My Dinner With Andre'. In this clip Andre is expounding upon how we are becoming robots to his dinner companion and rather dull tool, Wally. Released in 1981 I loved this movie and seeing it again 35 years later I am astounded at how prophetic it was.

Now, I can feel this changing in the form of a Populist revolution.

There is a palpable backlash against the status quo that both Trump and Sanders have recognized. Donald in his unorthodox and brash manner has been systematically stomping on these ideological bubbles and attacking "safe places". This makes some very uncomfortable and IMO accounts for the understandable negatives of Trump that the polls are showing.

Look for changes, not in the message, but rather in the messaging from Trump in the near future. Couple that with the near universal access to social media as Penn pointed out, and Donald's mastery of messaging and his message that resonates more broadly than any candidate in history, well I think you will see Bernie millennials move toward Trump along with women and other minority demographics.

This could portend the biggest landslide victory in US political history. YMMV

https://www.facebook.com/anonews.co/...4970747181149/
Old 05-05-2016, 08:45   #173
Penn
Area Commander

Via sigaba a very interesting read.

http://www.economist.com/news/books-...-recent-memory
Old 05-05-2016, 10:04   #174
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
Via sigaba a very interesting read.

http://www.economist.com/news/books-...-recent-memory
"Political Science" and "Political Scientist", now there's a couple of oxymorons for ya!

Unless of course the definitions are: "Political Science" - The co-opting of scientific thought or data to support a political agenda, i.e. increased human activity is responsible for global warming ergo close down the coal based industries.

And "Political Scientist": a scientist that promotes his or her scientific accomplishments for the advancement of a political agenda and enhanced job security. See also "whore".
Old 05-05-2016, 10:13   #175
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
"Political Science" and "Political Scientist", now there's a couple of oxymorons for ya!

Unless of course the definitions are: "Political Science" - The co-opting of scientific thought or data to support a political agenda, i.e. increased human activity is responsible for global warming ergo close down the coal based industries.

And "Political Scientist": a scientist that promotes his or her scientific accomplishments for the advancement of a political agenda and enhanced job security. See also "whore".
Could not have said it better myself........
Old 05-05-2016, 14:38   #176
Penn
Area Commander

Did you read the article?

I did and what I found interesting in the article was the process party elites employed to insure their candidate of choice and not the voting electorate was chosen, insuring that they, the elites, controlled the election process. In essence guaranteeing that the power remained with the party bosses and not the people.

But more importantly, what Trump has accomplished, unknowingly perhaps, is to fully expose these political elites and their tactics in denying us a choice, and they hate him for it.
Old 05-05-2016, 15:40   #177
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
Did you read the article?

I did and what I found interesting in the article was the process party elites employed to insure their candidate of choice and not the voting electorate was chosen, insuring that they, the elites, controlled the election process. In essence guaranteeing that the power remained with the party bosses and not the people.

But more importantly, what Trump has accomplished, unknowingly perhaps, is to fully expose these political elites and their tactics in denying us a choice, and they hate him for it.
I read it and that is exactly correct.

I was just being a smart ass (can't help my self) over the terms so prominently referenced, political science and political scientists. Just a hot button for me.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:26   #178
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Yup, Mr. Trump didn't have a chance...........
Old 11-09-2016, 01:49   #179
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post

Yup, Mr. Trump didn't have a chance...........
So perfect in a country built on being the "misfits" and the outsiders.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:55   #180
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
So,, The Fat Lady Sang..
Now, Let's get back to:
SEX, DRUGS, & ROCK-N-ROLL

And Bacon...

For those that are interested.. How to migrate to Canada, Eh...

Voulez-vous coucher avec Tim, ce soir

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote