Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 11-13-2005, 11:57   #16
Aequitas
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashi
I would like to inquire as to why the 60 or so that were left standing were not selected?
Out of those 60 or so 24 day no-gos, I think only 4 of them actually know why they were nonselects b/c they either got boarded or were told to go see the SGM. All the other guys got a slap on the back and were given orders back out to mother army or asked to come back. Oh and in case you haven't heard yet, SFAS has gone back to the if you quit (VW) you will be NTRed (Never to Return). There were also a bunch of 24 day nonselects that were given NTRs as well.

Thanks to everyone for the support.

Oh and stakk you aren't kidding brother. I don't know how the kid managed it, but he was seriously hung up 5 feet off the ground in a draw with various pieces of gear at various heights all around him. He was lucky one of my buddies followed his joe trail otherwise those wild dogs would have got him

Last edited by Aequitas; 11-13-2005 at 11:59.
Aequitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 12:53   #17
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Congrats on your first baby step...you are currently wobbling away from your coffee table with arms extended and shakey knees.

Heed your own advice, you have passed the selection phase where your reputation has been initiated and your exposure has begun. Both of these things will continue to grow and follow you forever.

If you would prefer not to utilize the 18D course as an 18B/C preparatory program...read the following:
Sips of water through a firehose sure...but remember this:

If you graduate with a 70% or some other minimum standard-you will still graduate.
BUT-
That also means that if you take 10 of your buddies (or family members) who are ill or injured-you are prepard to choose three of them (30%) to die because you were too lazy to learn the medicine to save their life.

DO NOT BE SATISFIED WITH THE MINIMUM

Each MOS has it's own impact on the team and it's very own uniqueness. IF you make it as a medic, you are taking on a particular responsibility for the lives of your teammates and their families. Your fail them needlessly, the repurcussions may result in a sacrifice far greater than you can imagine.

<putting soapbox away>

Again...congrats on your accomplishment.

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 15:53   #18
stakk4
Guerrilla

Quote:
I don't know how the kid managed it, but he was seriously hung up 5 feet off the ground in a draw with various pieces of gear at various heights all around him.
ROFLMMFAO

See the map? Beware the blue lines, there be monsters here.

S
"You are undoubtedly familiar with men who are quiet and strong and seem to be doing nothing. They do not appear to be tense and do not appear to be in disarray. They simply appear. This is exactly the appearance for which they strive. When it is necessary to attack, they do so with complete resolve, sure of themselves, neither overbearing in attitude nor with false humility. They attack with one purpose and one purpose only, to destroy the enemy." --- Miyamoto Musashi
stakk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 16:19   #19
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

SFAS 001-06....Selected!

Doedn't sound like the CMK I remember,but it's only been 40 years since I was there.

BMT
Old 11-13-2005, 21:55   #20
longtab
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashi
Congrats on your selection. I would like to inquire as to why the 60 or so that were left standing were not selected? So even if someone guts it out and never quits he might not be selected? I mean not to violate any rules or G2 the course just am curious what these individuals had/hadn't done that decided why they weren't selected.
Survival ISN'T Selection.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~ George Orwell
longtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 22:16   #21
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMT
Doedn't sound like the CMK I remember,but it's only been 40 years since I was there.

BMT
Hell, They've even got "BRICK SHITHOUSES and SHOWERS" out there now !!!!

When I went through, the ONLY time you were warm was while you ate breakfast (C-Rats heated in a garbage can, by an immersion heater) while standing around the cut-off barrels of burning s**t.

Later.
Martin
Old 11-13-2005, 23:01   #22
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5US
Congrats on your first baby step...you are currently wobbling away from your coffee table with arms extended and shakey knees.

Heed your own advice, you have passed the selection phase where your reputation has been initiated and your exposure has begun. Both of these things will continue to grow and follow you forever.

If you would prefer not to utilize the 18D course as an 18B/C preparatory program...read the following:
Sips of water through a firehose sure...but remember this:

If you graduate with a 70% or some other minimum standard-you will still graduate.
BUT-
That also means that if you take 10 of your buddies (or family members) who are ill or injured-you are prepard to choose three of them (30%) to die because you were too lazy to learn the medicine to save their life.

DO NOT BE SATISFIED WITH THE MINIMUM

Each MOS has it's own impact on the team and it's very own uniqueness. IF you make it as a medic, you are taking on a particular responsibility for the lives of your teammates and their families. Your fail them needlessly, the repurcussions may result in a sacrifice far greater than you can imagine.

<putting soapbox away>

Again...congrats on your accomplishment.

Eagle

Excellent post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtab
Survival ISN'T Selection.
Exellent post.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 00:38   #23
krax
Quiet Professional

Aequitas, PM me with your roster #. I'm sure we crossed paths at some point. Maybe I'll see you in Phase II.
krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 15:54   #24
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

Congrats...great stuff...best of luck as you continue in the "Q".
JM
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 17:36   #25
ptwob106
Asset

SFAS Class 001-06 Selected!

This is my first post, but I've been a subscriber and a fan for awhile...

Let me just say "Thanks" for all the outstanding advice I gleaned from those who've been there and done it before I headed off for Selection last month... your thoughts and wisdom really paid off when I was in the sh*t and sucking big time. Also, thanks to Maj Martin for writing the book and helping us rookies figure out how to keep putting our best foot forward.

Earlier this month I too was Selected in class 001-06. I must say, it was the most humbling, moving, and profound experience of my life. I'm looking forward to continuing "doing my best" and earning the right to be a part of the brotherhood.

Thanks again for maintaining this site and for helping the new guys like myself.

PTWOB106
ptwob106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 17:49   #26
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptwob106
This is my first post, but I've been a subscriber and a fan for awhile...

Let me just say "Thanks" for all the outstanding advice I gleaned from those who've been there and done it before I headed off for Selection last month... your thoughts and wisdom really paid off when I was in the sh*t and sucking big time. Also, thanks to Maj Martin for writing the book and helping us rookies figure out how to keep putting our best foot forward.

Earlier this month I too was Selected in class 001-06. I must say, it was the most humbling, moving, and profound experience of my life. I'm looking forward to continuing "doing my best" and earning the right to be a part of the brotherhood.

Thanks again for maintaining this site and for helping the new guys like myself.

PTWOB106
An intro in the proper place would be a good start.

You might read the stickies and introductions while you are at it.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 19:16   #27
Carbine
Asset

Sept Class

I was in the Sept class, and wasn't selected. Didn't quit, just not selected. Surprised a lot of people. Surprised me, I worked my tail off. Only 4 of us got returns. I left with kinda a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe me just whining. I got back and started getting e-mails from the Europe recruiting 1SG. Then the SFAS Commander even called the 1SG requesting us 4 to come back. If they want us to come back, and to go to the extent of the commander calling the recruiters. Why didn't they just select us the first time. I then decided I needed to stop whining, and just to back. Then found out I had a hernia from SFAS
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 20:15   #28
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
I was in the Sept class, and wasn't selected. Didn't quit, just not selected. Surprised a lot of people. Surprised me, I worked my tail off. Only 4 of us got returns. I left with kinda a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe me just whining. I got back and started getting e-mails from the Europe recruiting 1SG. Then the SFAS Commander even called the 1SG requesting us 4 to come back. If they want us to come back, and to go to the extent of the commander calling the recruiters. Why didn't they just select us the first time. I then decided I needed to stop whining, and just to back. Then found out I had a hernia from SFAS

Carbine:

This is very close to being a snivel.

You were not selected because you failed to meet some of the standards, probably several.

You were told that you were non-selected, but you could return because they want you to work on the things they counseled you on as deficiencies before you left, and to come back better prepared next time. I strongly suspect that they told you specifically why you were not selected. I can go check your student record, if they did not.

They contacted your CoC and recruiter to let them know that you did not quit, but failed to meet the standard and that they would like to have you come back prepared and do better next time. That was for your benefit, not theirs.

If this is unclear to you, you may not be what we are looking for. Many are called, but few are chosen. I know some who did not make the cut till their third try or more. They came back, they tried again, and they learned from their mistakes.

Good luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 20:45   #29
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I think I know at least one of the reasons he wasn't selected...

Gentlemen, please remember that selection is a continuous process in our world. And it is as intangible as it is tasks, conditions, and standards.

At the end of the day, there is really only question that need be answered: "Would I take him on my Team five minutes after I pass him?"

That is really all there is to it.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 20:47   #30
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by krax
Aequitas, PM me with your roster #. I'm sure we crossed paths at some point. Maybe I'll see you in Phase II.
Its about time...

And coming from me that says something...lol

Best of luck in PH-II.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote