Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 07-23-2008, 20:44   #16
Paslode
Area Commander

Question

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sit.../Army%20FR.pdf

http://www.massif.com/nomex_clothing...nts_jacket.php

I was curious if the AEF Army Elements Fleece is underwear or outerwear, and if any of you had any experience or opinions on the product.
Old 07-25-2008, 22:33   #17
ccrn
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarey View Post
A company named Longworth (West End, NC) produces a line of undergarments for military use under the "XGO" trade name.

XGO FR is available in: T-Shirt (Long / Short sleeve), Boxers, Longjohns, and balaclava.

Great stuff. It has similar properties to nomex, but is a much more comfortable fabric. No shoulder seams, double stiched and is breaths well / transfers sweat.

The marines use Potomac Mills under garments, but their products contain nylon and don't breath.

SF groups are just starting to procure XGO for deploying units.

It is available on GSA advantage for unit / govt card buys as well.

Hope that helps someone not to have future skin graphs.

MC

Ive been using XGO for a little while now as the UnderArmour is no longer allowed.

I wore one XGO T for 2 weeks out in the field and it worked well. Not as good a test as the 3 loose fitting UnderArmours I used in Iraq for 13 months but long enough to decide I like material.

The material I have (medium weight) is a bit heavier than the UnderArmour but softer. I like the flat seams better and the construction is of high quality.

My concern thus far is the manufacturer is very specific about the type of laundry detergent to be used, which has been difficult for me to determine brandwise. Not using the correct detergent supposedly can effect its qualities as heat and flame retardent.

This could be an issue especially for those forced to use TCN or local laundry in 100+F water with unknown detergents-
ccrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 14:02   #18
vsvo
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I have a real soft spot for wool (maybe growing up in the woods of Maine has something to do with that). The comfort of wool garments has come a long way since I was a kid. Look into Icebreaker, Ibex, Smartwool and Kuehl for decent Merino wool insulating layers. I still like the old issued brown 5-button wool sweater and a wool scarf for those colder days.
Razor, after reading your post and TR's I bought an Icebreaker Bodyfit 200 long sleeve crew, and I'm glad I listened to the advice. Two years later, it is still going strong, even after repeated machine washings (delicate cycle/low heat dry). During the recent blizzard I had to carry my nephew about 1/4 mile down the hill to his house. I was wearing the Icebreaker, a Patagonia R1 Flash pullover, and just the outer shell portion of a 12-yr-old Columbia Omni Tech 3-in-1 parka. With temps in the 20's and winds gusting to 30-40 MPH, I was very warm (jogging in deep snow with a 10-yr-old thrown over my shoulder helped ).

After it stopped snowing, with temps still in the 20's, I was shoveling snow with just the wool baselayer and an old Champion sweatshirt. The merino wool really delivers. The Icebreaker is even on sale right now.

Last edited by vsvo; 02-08-2010 at 14:04.
vsvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 15:26   #19
Razor
Quiet Professional

If only Icebreaker would make their line in men's sizes.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 15:36   #20
vsvo
Area Commander

Does their stuff run small? Maybe that's why it fits me so well!
Old 02-08-2010, 15:54   #21
Razor
Quiet Professional

An XL top has a 44" chest, and an XXL stops at 46". Those folks need to eat more protein or do some push-ups.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 16:30   #22
Kingfisher
Quiet Professional

I wore Massif flying SAR in Afghanistan and worked well. Kept me fairly warm in the bird(no doors) and was able to shed it quickly when I needed to go to ground.
Old 02-08-2010, 16:56   #23
vsvo
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
An XL top has a 44" chest, and an XXL stops at 46". Those folks need to eat more protein or do some push-ups.
IIRC mine is a large, but I can't confirm since I cut the tag off long ago. It does fit snug, with a little compression action. For comparison's sake, a Patagonia Capilene top in medium fits me perfectly, and I'm a 42".