Old 10-20-2010, 07:28   #31
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post

Anyone who has ever been on a jump with the 82nd can tell you about the hassles there in the conventional Army. It takes all day and then some for them to finally exit an airplane.

TR
From one of the FOG's..

In 1969, April-November, I was assigned as S4 to C 6th. I spent 8 months at Ft Bragg,, of which 2 months at Scuba in KW & Nov leave prior to Nam.

For the other 5 months (less a 3 wk FTX in Nantahala), I spent as much time as I could down on the flight line trying to bum a jump. I managed to get 27 or 28 jumps.

As a very Jr 2nd LT,, I spent a LOT OF TIME in 82nd lines,, but perseverance pays,, you just need to suck it up...

And Smile... Because your having fun..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:35   #32
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
..And Smile... Because your having fun..
All this...and a paycheck too.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:39   #33
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
All this...and a paycheck too.
Absolutely concur.............

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 20:54   #34
amatlis
SF Candidate

The point of my post was not to complain. I dont have any need to do that here. I only meant to open a window of information for civilians who know nothing about the military and think it's cool and high speed all the time. There's fiction and there's reality. Everything I stated in my post is based on the realities on the ground as voiced by the majority of candidates (including the prior service guys). Why shouldn't people have that information? If it changes their mind, then clearly SF isn't for them. Am I going to quit? No. Do I think Basic training, airborne school, and sf-hold are poorly run programs that waste huge amounts of time doing nothing that could be spent training? Does the average highschool sports team have a better PT program? Yes. Most people agree. I'm just saying it. Please don't kill the messenger. I think we should want to improve these things. I'm an engineer. It's my nature to want to fix things.

On the other hand, as I said before, sopc and sf were well run (I would say excellent) programs. The cadre were professional and impressive. The training was excellent.

I'm sorry to the military people who took this the wrong way. It's just information. I have received several messages from people thanking me for the alternate perspective (sorry i can't respond to everyone just yet). *I am grateful and happy to be to be in the sf pipeline. *It has been a lifelong dream of mine. I hope SF is an environment where it's acceptable to point out the improves and sustains...

Last edited by amatlis; 10-20-2010 at 21:24.
amatlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 21:27   #35
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

amatlis - Nothing personal, just a few "words of wisdom". You're like most other engineers I've run into over the years. All about identifying the problem without considering the human factors (tact). Right doesn't mean popular. FWIW - you've described situations that've existed pre-Hannibal in every military in the world. Discovering it for yourself and learning to deal with it is one of the rites of passage. I've got an office full of guys who're ALWAYS willing to share their observations about "the Emperor's clothes". Probably why some of them are at HQ and not on teams anymore. Messengers make great targets; just one of the facts of life. blue02hd is a personal friend; he's also a deployed Team Leader. His reply is right up the middle WRT the typical reaction you can expect to get from your post. Guys who are actually in the fight and still having to put up with the local versions of the Charlie Foxtrots (cluster f**k) you're sharing from your training perspective aren't going to be inclined to "share the love". If you learn to fill the wasted time constructively, and put a positive spin on it, you'll be an asset anywhere you wind up. Otherwise, nobody will want you around - it won't matter how good you are. Human nature; nobody likes having their noses rubbed in the s**t. The further up the food chain they are, the less they like it - and the more likely they are to take their dislike out on the messenger. Good luck. And learn a little more about human nature. After all - people are the tools of your new trade. Learn to influence them gently and you'll get a lot further.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 15:37   #36
VAV1500
SF Candidate

I'll keep it short.

Just remember when the rumors and G-2 are flying around, no matter what--if you were given a detailed day-by-day briefing of what you were expected to do at selection--you still have to do it. Its more fun when they keep you guessing anyways.

Also--on a slightly different note...

There is no delicate way to put this, but use those pink slips to the best of your ability. There are a lot of reasons people probably shouldn't be in the program, ranging from the subtle to the horrifyingly obvious. Thus far my experience has shown that there is still a light at the end of the tunnel and the really serious cases will either take care of themselves or be spotted and outed by the cadre (thank god). Anyhow, be fair and be clear why you think someone is unqualified, whether it be they complain about everything, have a bad attitude, act entitled, don't put forth the effort, ride your coattails, or are just that dude you get that baaaad feeling about. Be sure you put it down when you get the opportunity. Articulate yourself as well as you possibly can. And perhaps most importantly, remember, as one individual related to me, "It's called Special Forces, not special friends."

This is just my very humble opinion. Am I the most qualified person to comment on this? Absolutely not. Am I too harsh a judge of the relative value of others? Maybe. But I also believe that by keeping one's standard for themselves at an unattainably high level, they will likely succeed in their endeavors. Be tough, be fair.

So much for keeping it short. I hope those preparing to make the journey find some use here. This is a great thread and another great addition to the website.
There'll be time enough for sleep."

AE Housman
VAV1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 18:16   #37
fromthemountain
SF Candidate

Just got home from SFAS class 01-11 SELECETED 11C

Things I learned that I would change if I had to go again, along with some tips..do and dont's.

1. Cannot stress this enough, bring tons of socks. Also you can string some 550 cord from your ruck to to hang wet socks from to dry during the day. Trust me they WILL get wet

2. Any chance you get, change out your socks and powder your feet.

3. Canteen straws can make or break you. Its too hard during a ruck to keep drinking from a 1 qt. I was given one there by an X-Ray. If I had to go again I would bring several so I could give one to someone.

4. Don't cut the ruck weight close to the standard. Go over a few pounds because you will have to weigh in and it looks bad.

5. Don't be the guy sleeping when your not authorized to, especially during team week

6. Eat EVERYTHING from your MRE's

7. Don't show up with long hair! You will just look like an asshole

8. bring alot of tshirts

9. bring several insoles and change them out. Dry socks and dry insoles can turn a bad day around for you

10. Pay attention to all land nav training and try your best on the PE's

11. Learn how to pack a ruck so it will be comfortable to wear for up to 10 hours

12. Massage your legs and feet every night.

13. Spend your fireguard shifts doing deep stretches

14. Train running and rucking in sand or offroad

15. RESPECT both the cadre and peers

Thats all I can think of right now gents.. best of luck
fromthemountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:53   #38
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAV1500 View Post
There is no delicate way to put this, but use those pink slips to the best of your ability.
Allow me to add to this valuable comment. Your ability to write well is also noted, along with your demographic, i.e. 19, GED, 18X, etc. When someone reads a poorly written pink slip...or one that clearly shows your lack of experience...it's noted.
-TOMAHAWK9521
Old 10-25-2010, 09:54   #39
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthemountain View Post
Just got home from SFAS class 01-11 SELECETED 11C
Congratulations!
-TOMAHAWK9521
Old 10-26-2010, 07:56   #40
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthemountain View Post
3. Canteen straws can make or break you. Its too hard during a ruck to keep drinking from a 1 qt. I was given one there by an X-Ray. If I had to go again I would bring several so I could give one to someone.
Congratulations on being selected.

From your point above, I realize what a miracle it was that so many of us old timers luckily squeeked through, since we only had canteens with no straws/hoses from which to drink.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:45   #41
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Just a few thoughts from a FOG:

It's called Selection, not entitlement. Others have a say, make the impressions the right ones.

If you are not 100% sure you want to be at Selection (or the Q) you probably shouldn't be there and have taken a slot from somebody who really does want to be there.

Be honest with yourself and others, if you screw up, admit it - If others screw up, let them know and if you can guide them to unscrew themselves, do it.

When you are doing individual stuff, excel. when you are doing Team stuff, help everybody excel - one person giving 110% for himself when other members of the Team are only giving 50% is still a Team Failure.

In order to lead, learn how to follow and do not be afraid or unwilling to do whatever is asked, or you will have to ask of others.

Next step:

It's called the Qualification Course, in order to pass you need to be qualified, which is not easy, as the baseline is excellence.

Take all of the advice above to the next level.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR

Last edited by x SF med; 10-26-2010 at 08:48.
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:32   #42
Mobile Groundhog
SF Candidate

SFAS Advice

Along with all the other outstatnding information on this thread(and for that matter on this site); be prepared to ruck long distances with VERY WET boots. Those of you who think you will be able to stop during an event and change your socks will be hurting during team week and during the STAR Exam(s) when it is impossible to keep your feet dry. Just my .02 Cents.
Mobile Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 17:31   #43
Green Light
Quiet Professional

I can't remember being in the sticks with dry boots, socks, pants, shirt, etc. It's just the way it is. It's either raining, you're crossing swamps (rhymes with damp), or you're just plain sweating through everything. No big deal. Embrace the moisture! Welcome to SF - if it sucks, you're doing it right.

"If it neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket, what difference does it make to me?"
TJ
Green Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 18:38   #44
Pete
Quiet Professional

5th Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Light View Post
I can't remember being in the sticks with dry boots, socks, pants, shirt, etc. It's just the way it is. It's either raining, you're crossing swamps (rhymes with damp), or you're just plain sweating through everything. No big deal. Embrace the moisture! Welcome to SF - if it sucks, you're doing it right.
Thats why I liked 5th Group. When your cloths got really salt stained and your hands really, really dirty you just rubbed them together until the dirt balled up into little rolly balls and then wipe them on your pants. Ve-oooolaaaa your hands are clean enough to dig into that MRE - while you dreamed of orders to 7th Group where they got per diem, lived in hotels and ---- and ---- damn, never did get them orders.

Hey, it's mind over mater. If you don't mind - it don't mater. Think of the bright side - they may beat you and they may kill you but at least they wouldn't eat you - cannibalism is against the law.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 18:47   #45
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Guys, lets have the trip down memory lane elsewhere and stay on topic here, SFAS advice.

Appreciate it.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote