Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > General Medical

Old 04-27-2016, 12:46   #1
MAB32

Which BP cuff is more accurate?

I am curious to know whether the old manual cuff is more accurate than those Omron's that Docs seem to be using with more frequency?

Here is my situation.

Every time I am cuffed by one those electronic cuffs my BP goes something like this: 150/97.

Now when I get my pressure taken by the manual cuff I am around 130/80. My cardiologist uses the old method and tells me to not to worry. My PCP who uses the electronic monitor has put me on an additional medicine to get it lower.

I am active and do both jogging and rucking.

So I get flagged for high BP every time I go to my PCP. I told him this last time that I refuse to take any more heart medication to get it lower. I'm on Lisinopril 40mg for BP and for kidney protection (Type II Diabetic).

So basically what is your all opinion on this subject of which is more accurate?
Old 04-27-2016, 12:50   #2
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB32 View Post
I am curious to know whether the old manual cuff is more accurate than those Omron's that Docs seem to be using with more frequency?

Here is my situation.

Every time I am cuffed by one those electronic cuffs my BP goes something like this: 150/97.

Now when I get my pressure taken by the manual cuff I am around 130/80. My cardiologist uses the old method and tells me to not to worry. My PCP who uses the electronic monitor has put me on an additional medicine to get it lower.

I am active and do both jogging and rucking.

So I get flagged for high BP every time I go to my PCP. I told him this last time that I refuse to take any more heart medication to get it lower. I'm on Lisinopril 40mg for BP and for kidney protection (Type II Diabetic).

So basically what is your all opinion on this subject of which is more accurate?
Manual blood pressures, when properly taken, are always more accurate.

Using an appropriateky-sized cuff is also important, but this is typically more an issue in pediatrics than in adult medicine.

I would trust my cardiologist and any time my primary care provider wantsa to change a medication related to my cardiovascular system I would contact my cardiologist and ask for their recommendation on how to proceed.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 13:28   #3
VVVV

Is the nurse who takes your BP at your PCP hot?
Old 04-27-2016, 13:38   #4
MAB32

WCH,

can't be that. All of the ones at my doctors are severely overweight and old. Now the Dentists office is different. Was hoping to get it checked there but alas, no cuff. Maybe if I brought my own...

Thanks Doc. It seems around Northeastern Ohio everybody is changing over to those electronic monitors. I hear even Cleveland Clinic has gone that route.
Old 04-27-2016, 14:08   #5
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB32 View Post
WCH,

can't be that. All of the ones at my doctors are severely overweight and old. Now the Dentists office is different. Was hoping to get it checked there but alas, no cuff. Maybe if I brought my own...

Thanks Doc. It seems around Northeastern Ohio everybody is changing over to those electronic monitors. I hear even Cleveland Clinic has gone that route.
They're quicker for sure, but abnormal blood pressures should be rechecked manually if there is concern for spurious results.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
Old 04-27-2016, 14:28   #6
MAB32

Doc,

that's the way he wants me to do it via my own manual BP cuff. Take it everyday for a week and then send him the numbers. It is like he doesn't believe in manual monitors anymore and wants proof.
Old 04-27-2016, 15:13   #7
Sdiver
Area Commander

The automatic BP devices were meant to be used in an environment were using a manual BP cuff and scope were difficult, at best, to use. In environments where it is noisy or difficult to hear, such as in a helo or the back of a moving ambulance with the sirens whaling, or when needing to get a generalized assessment over a short period of time, (while the medic was busy with something else attending to the Pt.) you can set the machine to take a BP at different time intervals, every 5 mins, 10 mins, etc. to watch if there is any change. It has now become a "lazy way" of taking a BP in a clinical setting and in some instances, a pre-hospital setting.

As a patient, whenever the tech, nurse, etc. begins to "hook you up" to the automatic cuff, stop them and tell them you would like it done manually, and professionally, because they are going to get bent out of shape you telling them you want it done manually. You have rights ... rights that they MUST follow.

DON'T trust that electronic feldergarb. Just like GPS' v. maps and compasses, trust the old ways, if you want solid answers.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 15:56   #8
DDD
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver View Post
The automatic BP devices were meant to be used in an environment were using a manual BP cuff and scope were difficult, at best, to use. In environments where it is noisy or difficult to hear, such as in a helo or the back of a moving ambulance with the sirens whaling, or when needing to get a generalized assessment over a short period of time, (while the medic was busy with something else attending to the Pt.) you can set the machine to take a BP at different time intervals, every 5 mins, 10 mins, etc. to watch if there is any change. It has now become a "lazy way" of taking a BP in a clinical setting and in some instances, a pre-hospital setting.

As a patient, whenever the tech, nurse, etc. begins to "hook you up" to the automatic cuff, stop them and tell them you would like it done manually, and professionally, because they are going to get bent out of shape you telling them you want it done manually. You have rights ... rights that they MUST follow.

DON'T trust that electronic feldergarb. Just like GPS' v. maps and compasses, trust the old ways, if you want solid answers.

I completely agree, I had a wrist cuff that I carried. I didn't trust it's accuracy, but it was consistant so I could watch a trend. It also gave the Bravo something to do..push this button every 5 minutes and tell me the number
DDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 16:11   #9
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

edit

Last edited by Red Flag 1; 03-16-2018 at 13:49.
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 16:20   #10
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD View Post
I completely agree, I had a wrist cuff that I carried. I didn't trust it's accuracy, but it was consistant so I could watch a trend. It also gave the Bravo something to do..push this button every 5 minutes and tell me the number
I knew it, bastard!

Old 04-27-2016, 19:50   #11
adal
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I knew it, bastard!

He could have had you out boiling water and getting towels.
Old 04-27-2016, 20:47   #12
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Is the nurse who takes your BP at your PCP hot?
That happened to me in '84 when I took my pre-hire physical at Western Airlines. The very pretty nurse had rather large nacelles and sat in front of me with my hand tucked under her armpit. After all of the tests, the doc-in-charge mentioned that my BP was rather high. I confessed the problem and he laughed and said that he knew who I was talking about.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 04-27-2016 at 21:52.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:41   #13
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
That happened to me in '84 when I took my pre-hire physical at Western Airlines. The very pretty nurse had rather large nacelles and sat in front of me with my hand tucked under her armpit. After all of the tests, the doc-in-charge mentioned that my BP was rather high. I confessed the problem and he laughed and said that he knew who I was talking about.

Pat
I would've told him to have the nurse come back in and check again on that arm. then the other arm for comparison and then have her bring a friend and check them both at the same time!
Old 04-28-2016, 11:31   #14
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post

Pat
Unlikely the cause since the BP measurement was at your arm. At that particular instance your blood was flowing "somewhere else"

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 21:58   #15
NurseTim
Guerrilla Chief

The manual suffers from operator error. I had an Lin take my BP by palpation then entered a diastolic number.

I look at it like a scale, as long as you use the same scale, you can measure changes.
NurseTim is offline   Reply With Quote