Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 10-10-2011, 15:39   #16
Woodman
Asset

Good Website

http://home.comcast.net/~rshannonhou...hing_Documents
This website has some good advice as well, although with an orienteering emphasis.
Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:49   #17
Powder
Asset

Thumbs up Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Jack View Post
Here are some more simple tips. I wish I had something like this when I was a private. I use them to teach Boy Scouts...
This is that great stuff that isn't always layed out in a FM or TC. Thank you for the additional tools.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:30   #18
FlagDayNCO
Guerrilla

Page Removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Good basic Land Nav instructions, courtesy of steel_eel.

http://www.winnebagobsa.org/forms/ve...ETTINGLOST.PDF

TR
It is down. They must have become nervous with all the hits their little pdf was getting.

The Requested Page Was Not Found
There is no page of that name on Winnebago Council.

The Cold War didn't end, communism still lives and has come to America.

The Insurgency is going well, especially with the enemy at the table of every branch of our Federal, State, and Local Government.
FlagDayNCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:40   #19
steel_eel
Auxiliary

http://www.armageddononline.org/PDF/...ETTINGLOST.PDF

http://urbansurvivalsite.com/files/H...tting_Lost.pdf
steel_eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 22:11   #20
chuckn0rr1s
Asset

Thanks!

Thanks for posting this Steel_eel!!
chuckn0rr1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 23:13   #21
Lighthouse
Auxiliary

I just moved to Raeford, NC. Is there an orienteering club that anyone is aware of. The closest one I found is in Raleigh. Appreciate the help gentlemen.
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:10   #22
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Going anywhere in Hoke County should count as orienteering.

I doubt that anywhere other than cities or universities are going to have clubs, and geocaching is not quite the same.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 23:16   #23
Lighthouse
Auxiliary

Ha! Very true. It's a different world after relocating from NYC. I was granted a visitors pass onto Bragg so I'm looking to get my buddy to take me out to the NTA on some weekends to do some training. I doubt prior service will be allowed to come back to the Army anytime soon though. Just working on being ready for whatever comes up.
Old 08-03-2014, 00:50   #24
Scimitar
Area Commander

Lighthouse,

I'm not sure of your experience level, but having had to learn Land Nav in a similar way to you, this is what worked for me.

Basically the advice I was given was
Task mastery + Experience = Outcome

TASK MASTERY
- I spent a whole day "translating" (and I mean translating) the FM 3-25.26
- Then joined two sessions with the local ROTC on one of their Land Nav days, (UNLV and then UCLA),

After this I felt I knew enough to have my Land Nav 'system' down. I was able to score 100% on the course at Fort Hunter Liggett.

The guidance I was given was, learn the tools like a science (i.e. pace counts, attack points, planking, dead reckoning, resection, pace drift, the list goes on, from memory my final list had 27 skill points to master), then practice the tools until it becomes an art.

Your local ROTC group is the Campbell Battalion. Call them, see if they will let you tag along. But don't expect to have your hand held. Come prepared.
Link - Campbell Battalion

Caution: I've been advised not to learn with the local Orienteering crowd, you may learn some slightly wrong techniques, as they have a different goal to mil. I could be wrong.

EXPERIENCE
Next, the advice I was given by a BTDT, was get out on courses and get experience. "The more you get 'lost' now, the less you get 'lost' later." Execute an AAR after each session, and figure out what you learned, write it down.

I achieved this by finding the closest Orienteering Federation group (for you it's either Raleigh, or Charlotte) and called them, these people love Land Nav, and where very helpful. They provided me with grid refs on courses in my area. It seems to me courses are set-up all over the place, so there should be half a dozen near you.

I went out with my wife and just started Land Nav'ing. Got the feel for when to bust a draw, and when not to. When to hit a hill and when to go around it, etc, etc. Combined this with the Ruck part of my PT. After maybe 8 full day sessions out, some at night, I really started feeling comfortable with a map and compass.

So basically, I didn't feel like I needed to train with a group so much, just made sure I had the 'tools' down correctly first and then always made sure I was using the tools right, and not developing any poor habits. Perfect practice makes perfect.

2 x local groups POC follow.

Backwoods Orienteering Klub
RALEIGH
http://backwoodsok.org/
919-828-6068

or...

Carolina Orienteering Klub
CHARLOTTE
http://www.carolina-ok.org/
There's a number of POC on the website.

HTH some.

S

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying

Last edited by Scimitar; 08-03-2014 at 12:38.
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:48   #25
dollarbill
Guerrilla

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/surviv...-as-a-compass/

Land navigation to me has always been one of those things that if not constantly practiced, it doesn't that long to get real rusty at. One of tricks I like to practice is using my watch as a compass. Once you get which angle to split, its pretty accurate. I have found that direction, map orientation and cutting the trek/hike down to smaller sections on the map is a big help. That and when in doubt, shoot an azimuth.

Destination... Excellence

We are fast approaching the stage of ultimate inversion: the stage where government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only on permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force.
Ayn Rand
dollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:37   #26
Lighthouse
Auxiliary

Thanks for pointing out the ROTC. I didn't even consider that as an option. I used to be alright at land nav when I was in. I seeing the recurring theme is just become exceptionally good at the basics. What do recommend for getting the pace count down?
Old 08-03-2014, 10:05   #27
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
Thanks for pointing out the ROTC. I didn't even consider that as an option. I used to be alright at land nav when I was in. I seeing the recurring theme is just become exceptionally good at the basics. What do recommend for getting the pace count down?
Walking measured distances over varied terrain.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:48   #28
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
I told my wife that SF guys never get lost. When she thinks I am lost, I tell her I am taking a side trip.

LOL my wife has a uncanny sense of direction when I am home in the U.S. mine seems to shut off I usually tell her I am taking a more interesting route.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote