Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 08-20-2005, 09:16   #16
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

I'm with the TS & TR - get closer and use some of those expensive photo skills to get a better picture. My vote is Coral Snake based on what I can distinguish of the color stripes and head shape. Red & black, venom lack; red & yellow, kill a fellow. The next best guess is Dan's, simply because most coral snakes I've seen aren't that dark (your picture ****s ). My .02 - Peregrino

ETA: That's what I get for typing so slow - and going with a color enhanced photo. Maybe that's why lawyers get so excited about not having the negatives for the court cases.

Last edited by Peregrino; 08-20-2005 at 09:21.
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 09:21   #17
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyobanim
Okay, so I suck at photography. Normally I take a pretty good picture but snakes scare the shit out of me. I had no intentions of getting any closer to the bastard.

I'm 80% sure of the identity. When I kill the bastard and cut off its head I'll know for sure.

Kudos to Dan. Banded water snake. This one is usually confused with the cotton mouth. The body shapes are the same, that's what threw me initially. The head is also slightly triangle shaped. The rat was most likely constricted, as this snake is non-venomous. That would jive with the labored breathing and such.

This is what he looked like to me at 630 this morning. Very similar to a cotton mouth. I have killed a couple of those around the house.
He's a constrictor, the rat had probably been near death when you scared the snake and he let it go. That last pic clearly shows the Round Pupils !! Leave it alone, he'll keep the rodents in check and keep other snakes away !!
Old 08-20-2005, 09:42   #18
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

AM:

I know about the eye shape technique as well, but that requires getting too close to the business end of the snake.

Huey, just go over to Australia, they have a great selection.

The latest pic shows a non-poisonous head shape. If you see one and he opens his mouth, and it is white, that is definitely a moccasin.

Way too fat for a coral snake.

I did see a great show on either NG or the Discovery Channel this week with some guys looking for a Loch Ness type monster in a lake in the Congo.

They ran across a Gaboon Viper with a head the size of a large fist, and it was so well camoflaged, if it was not moving, you cound not see it at arms length, knowing where it was. Huge fangs, but appeared relatively passive. Very impressive.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 09:45   #19
alphamale

Geez, Kyobanim !!!! That last pic was WAYYYYYYYYYYY TOO CLOSE !!!

ICK !!! I'd be screamin' my head off.

FrontSight
Old 08-20-2005, 09:54   #20
Kyobanim

The last pic wasn't mine. I found that one. I'd never get that close to a snake unless his head was separated from the body.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 10:03   #21
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontSight

FrontSight
I thought that was normal behavior for you?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 12:24   #22
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontSight

FrontSight
Meet my little friend......

Yes this is the Team Sergeant holding the snakes head. I'm very afraid of snakes, not.

Oh and this guy was captured wild, in the jungle.

Kyo, tell me you're not going to kill the best pest control device known to man??????
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 13:18   #23
Spartan359
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
AM: They ran across a Gaboon Viper with a head the size of a large fist, and it was so well camoflaged, if it was not moving, you cound not see it at arms length, knowing where it was. Huge fangs, but appeared relatively passive. Very impressive.

TR
I just googled that snake and damn! That thing is huge!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snake.jpg (40.8 KB, 145 views)

-Isaiah 6:8
Spartan359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 15:36   #24
fusion94
Asset

Gaboon Vipers are very cool snakes. They for the most part are relatively placid but are still really dangerous as while they seem slow moving they are some of the fastest strikers around. They also have some of the longest fangs at up to 2" in length and prefer to "hang onto" their dinner. I was working on a project for the California Academy of Sciences a few years ago and got to handle one. They are very beautiful snakes IMO.

Like TS snakes don't bother me, that said, spiders scare the crap out of me. I really wish I knew why.
fusion94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 21:15   #25
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion94
Like TS snakes don't bother me, that said, spiders scare the crap out of me. I really wish I knew why.
Nice pics of the snakes...even though they scare the bejezus out of me. TS, how big was that snake?

Long ago I had a roommate who was a body builder/tough guy type. He'd scream for me like a little girl when he'd find a spider in his bedroom. If they were small enough I'd smash them with my fist...just to really freak him out.
Old 08-20-2005, 22:30   #26
CoLawman
Area Commander

Well I want to be a part of this very unscientific poll!

There is no photograph of me holding a snake. There is no picture of me in the vicinity of a snake. There is not a snake fast enough to keep up with me as I run from said snake during a photo op!

For the life of me I do not understand how people can touch those things!

Now spiders and bugs don't bother me! But Snakes....I even gets chills when I turn a page of a book and unexpectedly see one!

And a little secret......I didn't even enlarge those pics posted by TS and others!

Okay back to my little world of being a really really brave tough guy!
CoLawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 23:29   #27
Huey14
Kia ora, bro

Snakes to me are the most fascinating animals on the planet. The size to deadlyness ratio on some of them is staggering.

There's a guy, a Saffie (South African) who hunts them out and takes photos of them from less than a metre away...including King Cobras and Black Mambas. Ballsy guy, name's Austin someone.

He's like the Steve Irwin of snakes, but much much less of a wanker. I hate Irwin (but that's another thread).

"That block was already messed up."
Huey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 06:55   #28
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy
Nice pics of the snakes...even though they scare the bejezus out of me. TS, how big was that snake?
I think it was like 33 feet long....

Trust me, some of the guys in the platoon thought so!

10 feet maybe???

TS
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 07:41   #29
Pete
Quiet Professional

Snakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
I did see a great show on either NG or the Discovery Channel this week with some guys looking for a Loch Ness type monster in a lake in the Congo. TR
I saw that show. That snake was something else. The first shot of it in the trail showed how hard it was to see it in the leaf litter. On the move all day, wore out, a touch dehydrated and you could step on one of them real easy.

A Black Mamba was discovered under one of the cots on one of our trips to Africa. Andy Anderson (aren't they all Andy, I knew at least four of them) dragged it out and held it up for all to see. The locals were impressed but stood well back. The snake was quickly dispatched set upon the fire to grill and small pieces passed around for one and all. After one of the Scouts ate a piece the other locals quickly downed their's. All agreed that it was OK.

There are also no pictures of me holding a living snake. I only pick up snakes when they are dead and gone. And at that time, after some cooking they go well with some salt and pepper.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 22:08   #30
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
I saw that show. That snake was something else. The first shot of it in the trail showed how hard it was to see it in the leaf litter. On the move all day, wore out, a touch dehydrated and you could step on one of them real easy.

A Black Mamba was discovered under one of the cots on one of our trips to Africa. Andy Anderson (aren't they all Andy, I knew at least four of them) dragged it out and held it up for all to see. The locals were impressed but stood well back. The snake was quickly dispatched set upon the fire to grill and small pieces passed around for one and all. After one of the Scouts ate a piece the other locals quickly downed their's. All agreed that it was OK.

There are also no pictures of me holding a living snake. I only pick up snakes when they are dead and gone. And at that time, after some cooking they go well with some salt and pepper.
Pete, Great snake story. My 15 year old daughter was standing right behind me reading this as I did.
She said in reference to Andy in the above text and I quote, "Don't these guys
have to pass an IQ test or something?"

LOL, (at least me...)
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote