Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 02-14-2007, 00:37   #31
Mel
Asset

Hey guys, this is an interesting thread, and timely, considering that we are about to introduce our own woobie here at Kifaru. We just thought it was about time to breathe new life into the old poncho liner. Here's a link to a thread about it on our message board for those of you that might be iterested:

http://forums.kifaru.net/ubbthreads....e=1#Post100336

Mods feel free to delete this if it's not appropriate.

Air.177: The problem with most sleeping bag liners, is that you have to crawl in thru the top, making entries and exits from your bag a pain in the butt. Silk liners are definately the best for getting the right balance of light weight/size and temperature rating. Have you checked out the Cocoon travel sheets and liners? They offer these in silk and a new ripstop silk. The big advantage with the Cocoon offerings, is that they have a velcro closure side access. This makes for easy entry and exit when in the sleeping bag. These are available in earthtone colors such as their Muddy Elephant, and I think they are coming out in Coyote Brown also. Here's their website with all the info: www.designsalt.com

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:19   #32
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Mel, I would like to see the woobie when you have some pics.

The zipper I put around my poncho liner was always one of my favorite mods. Will be interesting to see how the loops work to keep it closed.

How do you keep the insulation from migrating if you do not sew it down?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:28   #33
Snaquebite
Area Commander

+1 especially...
Quote:
How do you keep the insulation from migrating if you do not sew it down?

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:41   #34
Mel
Asset

The insulation is sewn down around the perimeter in the seam. That's one of the advantages of the Climashield insulation, in that it does not require quilting or lamination. Here's a link to Climashield for more info:

http://www.climashield.com/

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 18:19   #35
Aoresteen
Quiet Professional

I modded my first woobie in '81 while on ODA 5 with a long zipper (most of the team did the same). Stew Carnes told me about it. Used it with my 2.5 lb Northface down bag rated to +20. With a Thremarest pad I've slep snug as a bug in the Bavarian mountians at 0 to 10 degress with a snow wall to cut the wind (Thermarest, Northface bag and poncho liner inside the bag). In a snow cave never needed the woobie, just used my Northface. Used the woobie as a pillow in it's stuff sack.

I have two poncho liners with zippers. I just bought long zippers and had the cleaners sew them in. It is a permanent item in my rucksack as is my sleeping shirt. Never leave home without it.
De Oppresso Liber
Aoresteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:03   #36
Fiercely Loyal
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
The zipper I put around my poncho liner was always one of my favorite mods.
Sir, when you did this are two sides closed or do you have just one side closed so you can put your feet out the bottom if you are sleeping in your uniform?
Old 07-19-2007, 07:30   #37
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiercely Loyal
Sir, when you did this are two sides closed or do you have just one side closed so you can put your feet out the bottom if you are sleeping in your uniform?
Just like a bag.

All sides closed but the bottom. Double ended zipper so that you can open it up completely, if desired.

The zipper is not a heavy one, and will break away if you pull hard.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:43   #38
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Mine is sewn from one bottom corner to the other then up one side so that it can be opened up to full size.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:54   #39
Tom
Asset

Use a body bag in conjunction with a poncho liner. The body bag is waterproof and can come in handy as a litter as well. It does have six handles. No, I'm not trying to sound macabre, it is a useful piece of gear. And they don't cost anything. They can be requested through supply. They are roomy as well. Still have mine along with my poncho liner.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:29   #40
Rumblyguts
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Use a body bag in conjunction with a poncho liner. The body bag is waterproof and can come in handy as a litter as well. It does have six handles. No, I'm not trying to sound macabre, it is a useful piece of gear. And they don't cost anything. They can be requested through supply. They are roomy as well. Still have mine along with my poncho liner.
The six handles come in great for turning the bodybag into a hammock as well.

The drawback is, that since the bag is waterproof, condensation/frost was an issue on the inside. But it is a nice addition to the liner if you have room for it.
Rumblyguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 21:06   #41
82ndtrooper
BANNED USER

I did the same as The Reaper.

Interestingly enough, I had Kims sew the zipper around the poncho liner.

Is Kims still even there off Yadkin Road ? I believe they charged me like $20 at the time. This was like 1985 so it felt like a whopper of a charge for some sewing.

We 82nd guys did not learn the art of self sewing.
82ndtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:03   #42
sf11b_p
Guerrilla

There used to be covers for the old mummy feather bags, like the bivy cover for the gortex bags. I got one of the old covers and had a poncho liner sewn into that. It has both the zipper and snaps. Poncho shelter over that and I was toasty dry and comfortable. In real cold it was a nice light warmth multiplier to any sleeping bag.
sf11b_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 00:11   #43
Squintz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Hey guys, this is an interesting thread, and timely, considering that we are about to introduce our own woobie here at Kifaru. We just thought it was about time to breathe new life into the old poncho liner. Here's a link to a thread about it on our message board for those of you that might be iterested:

http://forums.kifaru.net/ubbthreads....e=1#Post100336

Mods feel free to delete this if it's not appropriate.

Air.177: The problem with most sleeping bag liners, is that you have to crawl in thru the top, making entries and exits from your bag a pain in the butt. Silk liners are definately the best for getting the right balance of light weight/size and temperature rating. Have you checked out the Cocoon travel sheets and liners? They offer these in silk and a new ripstop silk. The big advantage with the Cocoon offerings, is that they have a velcro closure side access. This makes for easy entry and exit when in the sleeping bag. These are available in earthtone colors such as their Muddy Elephant, and I think they are coming out in Coyote Brown also. Here's their website with all the info: www.designsalt.com

Mel
I have had my paws on this excellent piece of kit. Just haven't purchased one yet as Mel and Kifaru keep separating me from my money by tempting me with other goodies.

What If The Hokey Pokey Isn't What It's All About?
Squintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 00:47   #44
Defion69
Quiet Professional

Ahhh the woobie. That was my sleeping bag; double the fun when wrapped in a poncho when wet times rolled around. No need for a bulky sleeping bag but then again, I made my time in warm spots....unlike my brethren in the cold areas of the world...my sleeping was done in the hot spots of central and south america. 10th group brothers I know....I have no clue what cold is!!!

I did try out sleeping in a "bear suit" (for lack of technical name for that big brown suit for the cold). Once that bear suit got wet the fun was done.

Another fave was the field jacket liner...basically a woobie in jacket form. I still travel with a woobie today as a civilian. It is part of my packing list...never leave home without it!
Defion69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 19:38   #45
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defion69 View Post
....unlike my brethren in the cold areas of the world...my sleeping was done in the hot spots of central and south america. 10th group brothers I know....I have no clue what cold is!!!
Cho-liner worked well to either shove down to the bottom of the sleeping bag (if you lacked camp booties) or used it to fill the gap where you couldn't quite get the bag zipped all the way up....(All that commo gear had to fit in there too)
But it was never too far away...

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote