Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 06-15-2018, 15:12   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Fired CO of Unit That Lost Grenades, Machine Gun to Head AFSOC Security ???

Splain this to me, Lucy

Daddy is a 4-star??

Quote:
Fired CO of Unit That Lost Grenades, Machine Gun to Head AFSOC Security
Military.com 15 Jun 2018 By Oriana Pawlyk

The fired commander of the Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota, unit that lost both a machine gun and a box of grenades has been reassigned to manage security forces at Air Force Special Operations Command.

Col. Jason Beers, former commander of the 91st Security Forces Group, has been assigned as chief of the installations division under the Logistics directorate at AFSOC headquarters at Hurlburt Field, Florida, Capt. Amanda Farr confirmed to Military.com on Friday.

"We are fully confident in the colonel's ability to manage our Security Forces and Civil Engineer programs for the command," Farr said in an email.

Beers was relieved of his duties at Minot on May 23 due "to a loss of trust and confidence after a series of events under the scope of his leadership, including a recent loss of ammunition and weapons," officials said at the time.

Airmen with the 91st lost a box of 32 40mm high-explosive MK 19 grenades May 1, after it fell out of the back of a Humvee. After a quick, unsuccessful search, officials offered a $5,000 reward to anyone who might have picked up the box in Mountrail County.

The unit's airmen are tasked with protecting the base's nuclear sites.

Days later, the 91st discovered it also was missing an M240 machine gun.

Neither the grenades nor the machine gun have been located.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...=dod_180615.nl

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 16:13   #2
RCummings
Guerrilla

Interesting, maybe the old, F**k move up or, the items made it into the right hands..
RCummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 20:02   #3
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Splain this to me, Lucy
You're the officer, splain it to me........

And, let me into that unit for a few weeks, I'll find the nade's and MG.
Old 06-16-2018, 20:18   #4
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
You're the officer, splain it to me........

And, let me into that unit for a few weeks, I'll find the nade's and MG.
They are probably already in Mexico...
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 20:26   #5
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

No surprise these days though for the sake of unit morale it is usually kept more quiet....,I wonder if exposure will change anything
Old 06-17-2018, 04:56   #6
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
As he is getting a soft landing, it suggests the thief was an intentional insider job, that was poorly managed by the CO?

I would have expected a parallel announce of a criminal action against a person or persons unknown at this time?

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:20   #7
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Not all of these events lead right up to a CO or a SGM. Sometimes the investigation finds that other factors were at play.

I remember the incident with the lost classified thumb drive in Afghanistan in 2006 - the one with all the information on the ASO effort there. The thing was lost from the CJSOTF-A and found its way to a bazaar and then onto a reporter's hands. The thumb drive was traced back to 7th SFG - then under the command of Ed Reeder, while Reeder commanded the CJSOTF-A. Basically, the thumb drive was lost from the J2's office just a few doors down from Reeder's office. We thought it would be the end of then-Colonel Reeder's career. The incident made the national news, there were detailed articles by various news organizations, etc (see link: http://articles.latimes.com/2006/apr...rld/fg-disks13). I mean the thumb drive was lost during his command of CJSOTF-A and - essentially - by his own unit.

But... how many stars did Reeder achieve after this before retiring? Two? Not to shabby.

So, my only thought there is that the investigation found that maybe the commander did everything a commander can reasonably do and that sometimes your subordinates just do some crazy sh*t.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:03   #8
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basenshukai View Post
Not all of these events lead right up to a CO or a SGM. Sometimes the investigation finds that other factors were at play.

I remember the incident with the lost classified thumb drive in Afghanistan in 2006 - the one with all the information on the ASO effort there. The thing was lost from the CJSOTF-A and found its way to a bazaar and then onto a reporter's hands. The thumb drive was traced back to 7th SFG - then under the command of Ed Reeder, while Reeder commanded the CJSOTF-A. Basically, the thumb drive was lost from the J2's office just a few doors down from Reeder's office. We thought it would be the end of then-Colonel Reeder's career. The incident made the national news, there were detailed articles by various news organizations, etc (see link: http://articles.latimes.com/2006/apr...rld/fg-disks13). I mean the thumb drive was lost during his command of CJSOTF-A and - essentially - by his own unit.

But... how many stars did Reeder achieve after this before retiring? Two? Not to shabby.

So, my only thought there is that the investigation found that maybe the commander did everything a commander can reasonably do and that sometimes your subordinates just do some crazy sh*t.
I remember that incident. I worked with the other half of that team during that time, and don’t have very good things to say about them. Their Team Sergeant’s name was not carried well in our team room.

Just did a search and we’ve talked about the TS on PS.com quite a bit, not good talk either.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote