Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Hunting & Fishing > Feather

Old 04-23-2014, 19:22   #16
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
We must have had a very good turkey hatch last year. Had a beautiful morning, heard 5 gobblers in one hollow, directly behind the house.

I tried to get a picture showing the dogwoods just coming into bloom, but my photography ability leaves a lot to be desired
I need to move out of Phoenix.......
Old 04-23-2014, 20:49   #17
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I need to move out of Phoenix.......
Yep! But you don't have to move out of Arizona. My wife is at a bird "listening" class tonight and turkey is on the menu.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 13:52   #18
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Pretty good tom from the farm

Popped this dude on the farm. 24 pounds, with 4 beards---an 11'' main beard, two small 8'' beards, and a small 5'' beard. Had 1 1/4 inch spurs, which makes him about 3 years old.

I put 3 1/2 inch mags in the Benelli. Shooting those things around a tree will take your head off. I've been punched by guys that didn't hit me as hard as that!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3010.jpg (145.2 KB, 65 views)

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:23   #19
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Very NICE!!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2015, 10:47   #20
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Congratulations, that's definitely one for the books! Multi-bearded thunder chickens are hard to come by. Out of curiosity, did you call him in? Also, are you doing a full body mount?

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:07   #21
craigepo
Quiet Professional

No taxidermy on this one. We cooked him the first evening, with some morel mushrooms.

I have one bird mounted, and he was a 25-pounder. That was a full body mount, gobbling on a limb.

This was actually the 2nd bird I hunted that day. 1st bird came in a little too far to my right, then I recognized him from coming up behind the house, so I let him go. This one I went to and spotted in the corner of a field by himself(so far the gobblers have been covered up with hens). I crawled a little, and when I called he came in and started gobbling and strutting.

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
Old 04-28-2015, 13:29   #22
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Popped this dude on the farm. 24 pounds, with 4 beards---an 11'' main beard, two small 8'' beards, and a small 5'' beard. Had 1 1/4 inch spurs, which makes him about 3 years old.

I put 3 1/2 inch mags in the Benelli. Shooting those things around a tree will take your head off. I've been punched by guys that didn't hit me as hard as that!
What sized shot do you use for Turkey?
Guymullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 21:27   #23
craigepo
Quiet Professional

I use a 12 gauge, wit 3 1/2" mags. I shoot #6 shot, as they seem to penetrate better than #4. In Missouri, #2 is the largest legal shot allowed.
I run this through an Indian Creek extra full choke tube. A head and neck shot up to 50 yards and they drop like a rock.
Personally, I enjoy the listening and calling as much as anything. With the right conditions, you can hear one of these gobblers at a half mile. Some of the most fun hunting I've ever done. If you're into dressing up like a hillbilly ninja and low crawling after a bird with a brain the size of a cherry tomato

Josey Wales
Old 04-29-2015, 05:02   #24
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
I use a 12 gauge, wit 3 1/2" mags. I shoot #6 shot, as they seem to penetrate better than #4. In Missouri, #2 is the largest legal shot allowed.
I run this through an Indian Creek extra full choke tube. A head and neck shot up to 50 yards and they drop like a rock.
Personally, I enjoy the listening and calling as much as anything. With the right conditions, you can hear one of these gobblers at a half mile. Some of the most fun hunting I've ever done. If you're into dressing up like a hillbilly ninja and low crawling after a bird with a brain the size of a cherry tomato
That is a quite small shot size, but I suppose if you only take head shots, it is more than enough. Do you take shots while the birds fly? From my skydiving days, and the use of the word Turkey to describe someone who couldn't fly, I am not sure whether they fly or not. The 3 1/2 magnum cartridges are what we would use here for Spurwing and Egyptian geese. Huge tough birds, usually shot at long range.

Last edited by Guymullins; 04-29-2015 at 05:03. Reason: sp
Guymullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:27   #25
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Wild turkeys can fly short distances. I have seen them in the back 40 flying. They are shot on the ground though ( not sure if that is law or just by happenstance) Calling them is a beautiful art.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:45   #26
booker
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by miclo18d View Post
Wild turkeys can fly short distances. I have seen them in the back 40 flying. They are shot on the ground though ( not sure if that is law or just by happenstance) Calling them is a beautiful art.
Turkey calling can simultaneously be the most frustrating and the most rewarding thing. It is definitely a perishable skill.
Old 04-30-2015, 17:58   #27
Rob_Frey
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker View Post
Turkey calling can simultaneously be the most frustrating and the most rewarding thing. It is definitely a perishable skill.
That's for sure. I've had Turkeys gobbling back hard, but they won't come closer. One time it was a fence I didn't know was between us, and another time it was a tiny creek it wouldn't cross for an hour and a half.
Rob_Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 21:20   #28
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guymullins View Post
That is a quite small shot size, but I suppose if you only take head shots, it is more than enough. Do you take shots while the birds fly? From my skydiving days, and the use of the word Turkey to describe someone who couldn't fly, I am not sure whether they fly or not. The 3 1/2 magnum cartridges are what we would use here for Spurwing and Egyptian geese. Huge tough birds, usually shot at long range.
Turkeys are called in on the ground. They come in looking to mate. Often the males gobble and strut on their way in, which is a pretty neat sight.

Many states are shotgun-only for turkeys. Coming in on the ground, it's almost always a head and neck shot. Killing one flying is a trick, as they are so big it's almost impossible to get pellets through that breast. Pheasants are tough enough.

Josey Wales
Old 11-15-2015, 09:38   #29
KJS 1389
Asset

Dang, Oklahoma turkeys must be the runts compared to the rest of the country. I think the largest I've shot since moving here was 13-14lbs. Excellent birds, gents.
Old 03-26-2020, 19:10   #30
7624U
Quiet Professional

Spring Turkey season opens next weekend in Tennessee. Just a reminder in case anyone forgot.

No Virus in the woods

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote