Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 10-28-2009, 07:25   #46
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Mitch:

I am sorry that happened to you.

As noted, that was a leadership failure. Boys do not play "Lord of the Flies" with responsible adults present.

Our son has been in scouting since he was five or six. While the younger boys will go running through the woods at night with chemlites, flashlights, and sticks, the adults always rein them in before it gets too far out of control. IMHO, it is because few of them are allowed to use their outside voices enough and be boys.

I was not a scout, but our son is, and it is one of the highlights of his life. He loves to go camping and participating in scout activities.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:16   #47
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Thanks for the comments – all I can say is that this was 50 years ago, believe me, I am over it – but for those of you who are still involved as adult leaders or members of various counsels, I am sure you have heard stories like mine before – but if not, just remember, that 50 years from now, some FOG may be talking about scouts, just like I am – that would be an unnecessary tragedy.

Boys are so eager to emulate their adult leaders - that's why Scouting, good scouting is so valuable for those that get a fair shake – it comes from enlightened leadership. The period of time that boys are introduced into scouting is one of the most critical times of their lives, they can be shaped and molded into most anything at that time – they can become Eagle Scouts or Suicide Bombers.

I have also been able to put this experience in proper perspective – this was a rotten troop with rotten leadership, It should have been taken down – these days, I am sure it would be.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:25   #48
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

I was never in the Scouts - they did not have strong representation in my school system as a child.

My son can't wait to join and I will be there with him as far as he is able to go.

At 5 y/o he can already unpack and deploy a tent, has hiked his own pack 3 miles into the woods then 3 miles back out. He also handles a knife safer than a lot of adults I know.

My father was an Eagle scout and I've heard too many great stories from him and others to allow my son to pass up the opportunities provided.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:50   #49
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
1. Were you ever in the Boy Scouts
2. Did you obtain Eagle or what was your highest rank. (I am sure that there are several other Eagles on the board)
3. How did your Scout training help you in your military life or your Civilian life.
4. Did your Scout training guide you toward your decision to go SF.
5.... Any other comments about Scouts and the Military.
1. Yes.
2. No. I made it to First Class...like others, I relied on semaphore over Morse Code...I wasn't much of a swimmer...swam well enough to make First Class, but there was no way I was going to pass the Lifesaving regimen...oddly enough, I wound up on a Scout Swim team in SF...
3. What I learned in Scouting was useful...to this day, there are elements that I use from time to time, particularly some of the elementary elements of map and compass work...I used the Boy Scout Manual when I was training Lieutenants in bone-head land nav at IOBC...
4. My father was a soldier, my uncles were soldiers, to my knowledge, all of my male cousins were soldiers...going into the Armed Forces was a given in my family...SF...I was influenced more by an article in National Geographic than I was my Boy Scout experience...that said, some of the stuff I learned as a scout were helpful in Phase I under COL Beckwith's administration...
5. As an adult, I served as an assistant scout master...I don't regret not going farther as a scout myself, as my father's PCS moves made continuity difficult and as I got older, other activities (sports, girls) got in the way of scouting...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 20:30   #50
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve View Post
I was influenced more by an article in National Geographic than I was my Boy Scout experience...
lksteve, would that have been a late 60s NatGeo about a team trying to quell a Montagnard rebellion? If so, that was my first "exposure" to SF as well, and the hors d'oevre that whet my appetite for much more.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 20:35   #51
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
lksteve, would that have been a late 60s NatGeo about a team trying to quell a Montagnard rebellion? If so, that was my first "exposure" to SF as well, and the hors d'oevre that whet my appetite for much more.
Probably 1962 or 1963...I was around ten when the article came out..we were living in CSprings at the time as my dad was stationed at Fort Carson, may have even already shipped out to Berlin...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:26   #52
wtf_over
Asset

1. Yes
2. Eagle Scout
3. BSA played an important role in my life as a young kid growing up on the Northern east coast I experienced some of the best cold weather,hot humid weather, camping hiking, backpacking, canoeing ect. a kid could ever experience. I also made Order of the Arrow (those who are members can appreciate this little Fraternity) Several Scout masters and Asst SM's were prior military all of whom my fellow scoutsand I learned from and respected two were Combat Veterns of Vietnam one a Korea war vet. An influence that made me pursue my first enlistment into the Marine Corps after High School back in '97.
4. The drives are there to my precieved intentions at some level of course BSA taught me to not give up and to stay focused as per SF (time will tell)
5. my boys are still too young for scouting but my older son is nearing the age and I will absolutly encourage him to try cub,weblos and BSA as he gets a bit older. I only truly wish more parent would take the time to put their sons into scouting it is such a rewarding life experience.
wtf_over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:01   #53
albeham
Quiet Professional

Gents,

Many you know that I am a Cub Master like some of you, and soonest I'll be a Scout Master. like more of you.

I am not only excited, but dedicated to give back to the program. that awe-inspiring adventure that Scouting can be., that it does for.

At out RT last night, a group of OA did the most amazing Flag ceremony , all I could feel , think, that these young men, are the future leaders of our county. The same America that we , to this day defend.

I'm a young 44 yrs old, and hope, God willing, to see not only my Sons, sons, but help many others see there Sons though the Scouting Adventure.

I would like to hear what works in your troop, please PM me.
Stay safe.... On my Honor ...
Old 02-06-2010, 21:47   #54
wet dog

With all this talk lately about Scouting and Pinewood Derby's I thought I'd post.

Besides I missed "Friday Night at the Movies".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjR9c...om=PL&index=17
Old 02-08-2010, 15:23   #55
Razor
Quiet Professional

On a related topic, Happy 100th Birthday BSA, and thanks Mr. Boyce for the personal efforts and cash to make this organization happen.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 22:24   #56
AirbornePFC
Asset

Scouting is what got me interested in the military. I made eagle and continue to volunteer with the local troop 276 in Indiana. One thing from scouting that means more to me than my eagle badge is something called firecrafter. It is unique to our council and has three primary ranks that can only be earned one a year at summer camp. The 3rd rank or "Firecrafter" rank is the toughest and involve multiple survival skills and centers around making fire from a self constructed bow and drill set. Leadership is also a huge part of earning the award. I have always said if I had to choose I'd keep that patch over my eagle. The week spent earning that patch rivals the stress and intensity of some of my limited military training. Things I learned in scouting....

How to cook.
How to do dishes.
How to cook so you don't have to do dishes.
How to survive in the woods with virtually nothing.
Self confidence.
How to pack a backpack (ruck)
How to hike (choose boots and gear etc)
How to talk to, and stand up to adults.
How to lead from the front.

The list could go on for pages those are just a few. I'm sorry that not all have had great scouting experiences, but I can say it was a huge pillar in my youth and helped guide me toward where I am now. Basic training, in my book, is just scout camp on steroids! Would recommend either (military or scouting) to any young man.
AirbornePFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 16:00   #57
Chris O`Crooh
Asset

Best wishes on World Thinking Day to all scouts and people that can be a benchmark for scouts - I know that there is a few of them here

We call WWD in Poland "Dzien Mysli Braterskiej" - "Brotherhood Thinking Day", and I find that version quite accurate and right.

So, Brothers Scouts and Sisters Guides, all the best!
Chris O`Crooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:21   #58
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I was asked to leave my Cub Scout troop for being disruptive when I was 9.

I learned my outdoor craft from my father who started taking me fishing when I was 3 and hunting when I was 5. I didn't get to take game until I passed the Hunter's Safety class at age 11. I remember some of the instructors in Training Group were surprised that a city boy from Southern California was good in the field...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:26   #59
motivated99
Asset

1. Yes
2. Eagle Scout
3. Boy scouts gave me a love for the outdoors and enjoying challenges. Coming from a heavily congested suburban area I was the only one in my group of friends (outside of BSA) to develop love of the outdoors. It taught me so many valuable skills but most of all gave me a sense of national pride and honor, which in my opinion is lacking in our youth today.
4. I'm a civilian right now but it definitely increased my interest in the military.
5. Where else does a boy get to shoot guns, climb mountains, orienteer, rappel and spend some time under a pack?
Old 04-27-2010, 09:24   #60
Santo Tomas
Guerrilla

Scouts

I earned Life Scout. I have served as a Scout Master. My son is an Eagle.

We are both OA.

I honestly don't think I would be here today if not for some of the things I learned in scouting.

Best program a young boy can get in to.