Old 02-15-2017, 17:04   #1
PSM
Area Commander

Beer nuts!

Because . . . why not? (Plus, my wife won't let me get them at the market.)

Ingredients:

1 lb raw peanuts (I used red skin like the Original Beer Nuts)
1/3 c. water
1-1/2 c. sugar
1 T. Kosher salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 300°.

In a medium saucepan over medium to medium-high heat, stir in water, sugar, and peanuts. Bring to a boil. Boil, stirring regularly (not constantly or the skins will come off), until water is absorbed. It will turn from a syrup consistency to a grainy sugar consistency. (Be careful here, I walked away for about a minute during this stage and the bottom hardened solid.)

Spread peanuts on baking pan, (I sprinkled salt on the pan first to keep them from sticking). Break up any large clumps of peanuts. Sprinkle with Kosher salt.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes for a lighter coating and crunch, or 30 minutes for a deeper darker coating. Stir after the first 15 minutes. Let cool on pan. Store in an airtight container once completely cooled.

I have enough legumes left over for another batch, so I think I will add cayenne pepper to this one.

It quick and easy and cleanup was no problem since the cooked on sugar easily dissolves in hot water.

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beer nuts.jpg (36.9 KB, 27 views)

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote