Old 08-17-2010, 20:31   #76
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco771 View Post
The M110 is a cheaper SDM Rifle.

I know this, because a High School friend who's with the 82nd is using it as a DSM.

It's cheaper, and easier to manufacture compared to an M14 EBR.

It's also easier to train on, since it's relatively the same AR 15 style American troops are already familiar with. It's an off the shelf grab and go, with 80% compatibility aside from calibre to an M16/M4 series rifle in use. (i.e. you don't need additional training to just pick it up, go into a fire fight, and come back, SPORTS works the same for it, as any other AR 15 style weapon)

Unlike the SR-25, the M110 also has built in iron-sights. Meaning if crap hit the fan, you can go straight to the irons, just like an M4 if your ACOG went FUBAR.

For recon teams, (like that my friend is on) the M110 can have a suppressor mounted on it, or interchange barrel with one built in. Just like the M4.

The M110 also has a rail system, which is compatible with all components used for an M4 rail systems. (Lasers, lights, stun guns, Cherry blasters [don't ask] etc.)

And, unlike the SR-25, the M110 can be mounted onto a tripod, or even an HMMWV for a more stable fireing platform with the proper component mounted onto the lower rail system. (not that it's very practicle)

M110 I've been looking to learn a great deal about.

Also, the M110 is due to replace the M14 EBR in both regular, and airborne units.

I don't know how popular it is with the SOF community, however.

Just a reply to the question asked.
Draco-

You are not qualified to answer questions on this forum.

Stop posting. Take a year off.

Your incessant yammering on a number of threads where you are either a student of a subject or heard "facts" from someone else is highly annoying.

When that isn't enough, you start new ones.

This isn't military.com.

We are not your buddies.

You are adding little, if anything to the board.

And frankly, I could not care less what you think or what you heard.

Don't PM me. Just use this time wisely to gather some real world facts and better yourself. If/when you post again, it better be well-searched and restricted to an area where you are an expert, or you better be asking a REALLY good question.

There are not going to be any more warnings or hints.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 23:43   #77
Fonzy
Guerrilla

Brand new AR

Gentleman,
I apologize for not creating a new thread, but since this was supposed to be everything you need to know about the m4 I thought this was an appropriate place to ask a question.

I've been on the fence about it for awhile and I finally decided to take the plunge and purchase an AR. Upper and lower receivers are BCM, as soon as the hand guards come in I'll put a picture of it in the gun thread for critique

I'm honestly a little embarrassed that I don't know, but seeing as how this is a brand new, never been fired rifle ; are there any precautions I should take before, during, and after firing outside of the normal cleaning and lubricating? The charging handle seems pretty rough to pull and I feel like it sounds like there's more metal on metal contact that I'd like, but I'm assuming that's because it only has the light coat that it was shipped in and I have yet to apply a coat of CLP.

Maybe I'm thinking too much like an engine (with all the internal compression), but the first time I take her out to zero and shoot should I stop off after a X rounds or so? Kind of thinking along the lines of how you should keep the RPMs in a vehicle down until after a certain mileage to let all the internals to settle. Then again I might be over analyzing and all that might be required is the same regular maintenance taught back in basic. I fully appreciate any guidance.

Regards,
Fonzy
Fonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 00:29   #78
Iraqgunz
Guerrilla

I know Paul and I know that his quality is GTG. Having said that I would clean the weapon and do a cursory inspection. Don't be afraid to read the manual.

I recommend Slip2000 or Weaponshield for lube. CLP is crap and I only use to clean rust or crap off of weapons. I also recommend that you generously lube the weapon. If you keep lubing it and run it wet not only will it keep running but it will make it easier to clean when the time comes. I clean very seldom to be honest. I generally just do a wipe down and relube it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzy View Post
Gentleman,
I apologize for not creating a new thread, but since this was supposed to be everything you need to know about the m4 I thought this was an appropriate place to ask a question.

I've been on the fence about it for awhile and I finally decided to take the plunge and purchase an AR. Upper and lower receivers are BCM, as soon as the hand guards come in I'll put a picture of it in the gun thread for critique

I'm honestly a little embarrassed that I don't know, but seeing as how this is a brand new, never been fired rifle ; are there any precautions I should take before, during, and after firing outside of the normal cleaning and lubricating? The charging handle seems pretty rough to pull and I feel like it sounds like there's more metal on metal contact that I'd like, but I'm assuming that's because it only has the light coat that it was shipped in and I have yet to apply a coat of CLP.

Maybe I'm thinking too much like an engine (with all the internal compression), but the first time I take her out to zero and shoot should I stop off after a X rounds or so? Kind of thinking along the lines of how you should keep the RPMs in a vehicle down until after a certain mileage to let all the internals to settle. Then again I might be over analyzing and all that might be required is the same regular maintenance taught back in basic. I fully appreciate any guidance.

Regards,
Fonzy

Last edited by Iraqgunz; 10-13-2010 at 00:43.
Iraqgunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:57   #79
Pribs
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzy View Post
Gentleman,

Regards,
Fonzy
I HIGHLY receomend getting a CAT M4 tool. Cleaning the bolt assembly and the inside of the bolt carrier group will be way easier with this tool and it does the best job (in my opinion) compared to anyting else I have ever tried. You can google where to buy one, or you can try www.brownelles.com... I believe that is where I bought mine.
Pribs is offline   Reply With Quote