Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Africa

Old 12-21-2012, 16:57   #31
MR2
Quiet Professional

Ben Affleck testifies in Congress about war-torn Congo Los Angeles Times

Update on the Evolving Security Situation in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Implications for U.S. National Security Armed Services Committee
Rayburn House Office Building - 2118

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 18:22   #32
cbtengr
Area Commander

Thanks for the links, I lasted 6 out of 15 minutes minutes listening to his testimony, put me in front of congress with a prepared written statement and I too can be an expert on anything. I am not saying that he is not an expert on the Congo, he may very well be but I will leave that call up to others who are much more knowledgable on the topic. What I did take away from his testimony was that he was not too impressed with the U.N.'s handling of the situation. The LA Times article quoted him as saying "I am not here to ask for precious American tax dollars, I am here today to respectfully request you use the most important power you have, your collective voice as representatives of the United States of America,” What I heard him say was I am not here to ask for American tax dollars. The article was lacking to say the least and their misquoting him was uncalled for. It made him sound condescending which I did not gather from the testimony I watched.
Old 12-21-2012, 22:24   #33
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

l listened to him read his entire written statement. It lasts almost 13 minutes of the attached video clip. The other 31 minutes are comments by Representatives and questions they ask the three "experts".

Judge for yourself how knowledgeable Affleck seems, especially compared to the two "docs". Personally, I think he did a pretty good job and if his name plate had said "Dr. Smith" and I didn't know who the hell Ben Affleck was, I'd have been pretty impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8zUHG-K-dQ

Oh... if you don't have time to watch the whole thing, well... nevermind.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:35   #34
Guy
Quiet Professional

Lightbulb The Congo!!!!

The best COA for the Congo is that it be colonized with a dictator installed...

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:32   #35
Box
Quiet Professional

It looks like the Huff-Post is fawning over Mr Affleck...
...why not, Al franken picked up a seat.

http://XXX.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2340787.html
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:46   #36
JSMosby
Quiet Professional

Celebs "testify" as "experts" for the sole purpose of bringing attention to a cause. I know countless people who become SMEs on topics they are unqualified to be experts. Cancer victims, PTSD sufferers, not to mention parents who quickly become child psychologists.

No one cares about the Congo. Ben Affleck does. If big names didn't bring issues like this to congress, they would likely never be heard.

Who is John Galt?

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
JSMosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:03   #37
Guy
Quiet Professional

LOL! However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMosby View Post
No one cares about the Congo. Ben Affleck does. If big names didn't bring issues like this to congress, they would likely never be heard.
Ben picks one of the poorest countries (if not the poorest) on the continent too bring to the attention of the USA?

Could it be that there may be an open seat since Kerry got the nomination for SecState?

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Old 12-22-2012, 08:19   #38
JSMosby
Quiet Professional

I would take a celebrity's opinion about a specific issue that they care about over a politician any day. Celebs with a cause are dedicated to that cause and generally have no ulterior motives (of course that doesn't include the "good press" and good image stuff). Politicians only care about themselves.

What specific credentials did Lady Di have regarding land mines? First ladies usually take up causes as well...Eleanor Roosevelt was largely responsible for the creation of the Tuskegee Airmen, Nancy Reagan - "Just Say No!", Laura Bush getting kids reading, and even Michelle O pushing kids health and fitness. Other than Laura Bush, what special qualifications do these ladies have?

Regarding a push for the Senate, who cares? Look at the dredge we have in Congress now. If Ben Affleck becomes a US Senator, at least you will know that AT ONE TIME he stood for something.

Who is John Galt?

Old 12-22-2012, 08:31   #39
Guy
Quiet Professional

Lightbulb Let me put it this way...

Giving the fiscal shit-hole that the USA currently finds itself in, he could at least chosen a country that adds value to the USA.

Call me a selfish SOB however, I'd like some type of return on our investment in certain countries.

Once a celebrity gets amongst those "seasoned" politicians, they'll become just like the rest of them...POLI freaking TICIANS!

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Old 12-22-2012, 08:44   #40
mark46th
Quiet Professional

If Congress ever decides to investigate Patpong Rd, could I testify as an expert? Spent a lot of time and money there for a couple of years...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:34   #41
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
If Congress ever decides to investigate Patpong Rd, could I testify as an expert? Spent a lot of time and money there for a couple of years...
And their granddaughters are still talking about it down at the Amor!

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:38   #42
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Giving the fiscal shit-hole that the USA currently finds itself in, he could at least chosen a country that adds value to the USA.

Call me a selfish SOB however, I'd like some type of return on our investment in certain countries.

Once a celebrity gets amongst those "seasoned" politicians, they'll become just like the rest of them...POLI freaking TICIANS!
Part of Affleck's testimony, and answers he gave to questions, involved the 100's of millions of dollars the US was pouring into Congo - most "filtered" through the UN. His complaint was that we were getting "little bang for our bucks" (my phrase, not his), and that we needed to bring pressure to bear to ensure that it was being "done right" (again, my words).

He repeatedly emphasized that he was not asking for, or suggesting, more money.
Old 12-22-2012, 16:03   #43
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Affleck doesn't understand how foreign aid and the UN work? He is way too naive to be involved in Africa.......
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 17:07   #44
JSMosby
Quiet Professional

Don't get me wrong...I could give a shit about Ben Affleck or the Congo.

Who is John Galt?

Old 12-23-2012, 11:56   #45
Guy
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
Part of Affleck's testimony, and answers he gave to questions, involved the 100's of millions of dollars the US was pouring into Congo - most "filtered" through the UN. His complaint was that we were getting "little bang for our bucks" (my phrase, not his), and that we needed to bring pressure to bear to ensure that it was being "done right" (again, my words).

He repeatedly emphasized that he was not asking for, or suggesting, more money.
Any time we (US) give $$$ to the UN, we're not going to get the most bang for our bucks. Its another form of welfare just under the disguise of aid.

Top 15 contributors to the UN budget, 2012[64]
Member state Contribution
(% of UN budget)
  1. USA 22.000%
  2. Japan 12.530%
  3. Germany 8.018%
  4. UK 6.604%
  5. France 6.123%
  6. Italy 4.999%
  7. Canada 3.207%
  8. China 3.189%
  9. Spain 3.177%
  10. Mexico 2.356%
  11. South Korea 2.260%
  12. Australia 1.933%
  13. Netherlands 1.855%
  14. Brazil 1.611%
  15. Russia 1.602%
  16. Other states 18.536%
Stay safe.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-

Last edited by Guy; 12-23-2012 at 12:05.