Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

View Poll Results: Who will you be voting for?
Trump/Pence 189 77.14%
Clinton/Kaine 12 4.90%
Johnson/Weld 21 8.57%
Jill Stien 1 0.41%
Pedro 10 4.08%
Other 12 4.90%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2016, 21:04   #46
Paslode
Area Commander

I know what you are saying.
Old 09-26-2016, 21:41   #47
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Remember guys- We have to vote for Trump. This election is all about the Supreme Court. We have a chance for the court to remain conservative if Trump is elected.

If you think the 2nd Amendment is under attack from the Obama administration, wait until Hillary gets elected and appoints a couple more Kagans and Sotomayors to the Supreme Court...

Last edited by mark46th; 09-27-2016 at 07:50.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 22:01   #48
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

The one disturbing thought that kept going through my head during the debate was "How many beautiful, young women had to be kidnapped and exsanguinated in the previous weeks in order for Hillary's appearance to look so healthy and vibrant."
Old 09-26-2016, 22:07   #49
Patrin
Guerrilla

I thought it was a draw....and yes....DT missed some pivotal attack avenues.

Nothing lost, but little gained. Onward we march......
Patrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 22:32   #50
PSM
Area Commander

I'd be interested to know how everyone was watching (or listening). I watched on C-SPAN and all they had on the screen the whole time was split screen closeups of Trump and Clinton so I was able to watch each as the other spoke. When The Donald was talking, The Hillary was almost constantly blinking but occasionally closed her eyes and looked like she was about to fall asleep and her head was unsteady. I didn't notice anything unusual with Trump except adjusting the mic occasionally and taking sips of water.

I thought Trump was fine until about the last 15 or 20 minutes, but he did miss opportunities to rattle her early on which was a mistake. Holt actually gave him an opening with the cyber security threat but he didn't use it.

He also needs to learn to be specific on issues like the need to cut corporate taxes: "While the corporation may write the check for them, the cost is passed on to the consumer; it's another tax on the citizens that they don't even see but applaud when it's implemented." He can use specifics to educate the voters instead of using generalities just to win votes.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:45   #51
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
I'd be interested to know how everyone was watching (or listening). I watched on C-SPAN and all they had on the screen the whole time was split screen closeups of Trump and Clinton so I was able to watch each as the other spoke. When The Donald was talking, The Hillary was almost constantly blinking but occasionally closed her eyes and looked like she was about to fall asleep and her head was unsteady. I didn't notice anything unusual with Trump except adjusting the mic occasionally and taking sips of water.

I thought Trump was fine until about the last 15 or 20 minutes, but he did miss opportunities to rattle her early on which was a mistake. Holt actually gave him an opening with the cyber security threat but he didn't use it.

He also needs to learn to be specific on issues like the need to cut corporate taxes: "While the corporation may write the check for them, the cost is passed on to the consumer; it's another tax on the citizens that they don't even see but applaud when it's implemented." He can use specifics to educate the voters instead of using generalities just to win votes.

Pat
Good points.

The little I watched was while at my mothers and she had it on PBS, the commentators were all pro-Clinton and Mom even suggested a change in channel. During the time I watched Holt asked Trump several direct questions and asked Clinton zero.

Me personally, my mind is always made prior to the debates. I don't find much worth is these debates, never have, I find them to be biased and put this in the catagory of campaign promises.

But I do realize that many don't have there minds made up at this point, many of whom are very appearance driven, and for them it is more about appearence on stage then the substance of the person. For many of these folks it is forget thngs like Benghazi, Clinton looked better on stage than Trump and that could be the deciding factor as to whom they vote for.

For comparison, when I returned home from Mom's, my daughter was watching the debate, I listened in again. My take away from listening was that Trump held his own, and Clinton sounded like the skilled and canned politician she has always been.

That said, I would put the result at close to a draw. But I would probably give Hillary a very slight edge because she got in some good digs.

Online polling was as expected, results tilted towards the politcal leanings of the website.

Forums.....conservative leaning were more realisitic about the outcome, whereas liberal sites thought they had just won the Super Bowl.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:16   #52
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Good analysis. I too think that Trump missed some opportunities and could have educated more as you said, PSM. However he did not melt down and had no major gaffes. He did ok for his FIRST EVER one-on-one debate.

I think that we need to keep in mind that the Hilldabeast is an experienced liar and has experience in this type of debate forum. She was well prepared and well scripted. She will show up for the second debate in a similar fashion.

Trump has gained valuable experience and he and his team will dissect his performance and he will come out better prepared and more comfortable and confident for round 2 of this 3 round fight.

No guarantees, but Trump has much more potential upside in future debate performances than the beast.
my $0.02
Old 09-27-2016, 06:19   #53
Hand
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrin View Post
I thought it was a draw....and yes....DT missed some pivotal attack avenues.

Nothing lost, but little gained. Onward we march......
I think they had an agreement beforehand that Bengazi and the email server were off limits.

Trump definitely didn't go for the throat, and he came of sounding legitimate and speaking from the heart, so to speak. Kilary came off sounding like the typical fence straddling politician we have all grown to hate.
Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:30   #54
(1VB)compforce
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand View Post
I think they had an agreement beforehand that Bengazi and the email server were off limits.

Trump definitely didn't go for the throat, and he came of sounding legitimate and speaking from the heart, so to speak. Kilary came off sounding like the typical fence straddling politician we have all grown to hate.
From the beginning it was clear that Hillary was going to try to take shots at Trump. She made some comments in her opening question that Trump was visibly holding himself back from responding to. The last 15-20 minutes should never have happened in a good debate. Trump finally decided to defend himself from Hillary's constant personal attacks about the time that she called him a racist. That's when the debate completely came apart and turned into a name calling contest. I think the net result of that contest is that Hillary came out looking petty. If her snide remarks and jokes fell flat with millenials, she may have hurt herself with them.

Hillary's language was all passive despite the tone. "We need to" vs. Trump's "We will/I will"

I don't think that the debate will have changed much.

eta: Trump missed a huge opportunity for an attack when Clinton blamed the meltdown in 2008 on Trickle Down Economics. The fact is that there were two factors for the 2008 recession... Mortgages failing (lenders forced to take sub prime loans) and the banks getting into the credit swap markets, which was prohibited by law until Bill Clinton signed a law repealing the prohibition.

Last edited by (1VB)compforce; 09-27-2016 at 06:38.
(1VB)compforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:56   #55
Patrin
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by (1VB)compforce View Post
Trump missed a huge opportunity for an attack when Clinton blamed the meltdown in 2008 on Trickle Down Economics. The fact is that there were two factors for the 2008 recession... Mortgages failing (lenders forced to take sub prime loans) and the banks getting into the credit swap markets, which was prohibited by law until Bill Clinton signed a law repealing the prohibition.
Yes, 1VB, I was yelling at the TV.

Chris Dodd and Barney Frank being the architects of that disastrous law...in my mind...this was an easy argument to win, and it warranted thorough discussion.

Trump could have slammed the door shut on her by doing so...showing that when government, and in particular, the commie's, meddle in the free market, be it in the 1930's or 2008, economic calamity follows.

No, instead, she got away with that lying tripe.

The more I read about Trump's prep for the debate, the more aggravated I become. Round table talking points with advisers being the format, rather than mock debates and prep for gotcha questions.

This is for the d*mn Presidency Mr. Trump!

You need to be watching film of past debates and her speeches, knowing her inside and out.

I didn't see that last night, given some very easy missed attack opportunities.

ETA: OTOH, Trump has won so far by following his own intuition, and perhaps he's saving the heavy salvo for the later two debates; that are heartbeats away from election day. If so, and if he was simply trying to come across as 'less scary' last night, then he might still prove to have a solid command at stratagem.

Last edited by Patrin; 09-27-2016 at 10:30.
Patrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:27   #56
Hand
Guerrilla Chief

2nd Debate

Quote:
Viewers unhappy with the questions asked at Monday night’s debate will have a shot to weigh in before Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton meet again on October 9: For the first time, the networks producing the town-hall style debate have agreed to accept questions voted on through the internet.

The Commission on Presidential Debates had already announced that the second of three debates would feature questions submitted online in addition to those asked by the traditional studio audience. But on Tuesday morning, the organizers confirmed they are embracing a format that a broad bipartisan cross-section of activist and civic groups known as the Open Debate Coalition have been pushing for years. Americans will be able to submit and then vote on questions online at PresidentialOpenQuestions.com, and ABC and CNN have agreed to consider the 30 most popular queries when they jointly plan the debate.
Source
Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:48   #57
cbtengr
Area Commander

Hindsight is always 20/20, he missed making some points however in my mind he is in no worse position than he was yesterday. Grandma HRC came out wanting to be so likeable, it ain't gonna happen.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:57   #58
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
Hindsight is always 20/20, he missed making some points however in my mind he is in no worse position than he was yesterday. Grandma HRC came out wanting to be so likeable, it ain't gonna happen.
Trump will get better with each debate. HRC is as good as she is going to get.
Old 09-30-2016, 15:56   #59
atticus finch
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_123 View Post
Trump will get better with each debate. HRC is as good as she is going to get.

Agreed, Trump wasn't fully prepared for this one but he'll be better the next time around.
As it is he won the parts of this debate he needed to. He didn't come off as angry, off his rocker, anything the leftists have painted him as.
Also he won where it counted, economics & jobs and didn't lose when they tried to bait him by losing his cool. Stood his ground but didn't go off into left field verbally.
Trump had to win by not beating himself, he accomplished that.

The hildabeast had to portray herself as likeable and trustworthy. She failed completely, that arrogant grin and her canned answers just reinforced the stigma she's just another political establishment insider.
The hildabeast had to win by not beating herself, she failed badly.
atticus finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 17:59   #60
Lighthouse
Auxiliary

I don't think I heard the word Constitution during that entire debate.
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote