Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Library

Old 12-03-2012, 20:37   #1
SF18C
Quiet Professional

Lincoln, the movie

I saw Lincoln over the weekend with my wife...I really liked it.

I thought Daniel Day-Lewis did a great job playing Abe! (but what, no American was available?)

I am sure there was some "Hollywood-ing" of the story but too bad the modern GOP lost THAT mojo it had back in the 1860's! (yes there were overt digs at the Dim-o-crat party!)
"De Oppresso Liber"

Nomination for PS.com Quote of the Decade!
SF18C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 15:02   #2
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

I hate to watch this film as a Haji boot leg.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 16:20   #3
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

I saw it recently and enjoyed it greatly.

Lincoln, and many in the pantheon of American heroes, are often deified and made to look lke 'plaster saints' when they were, in reality, political animals!

The only thing I dislike about the movie - and it is NO fault of the movie, or Doris Kearn Goodwin's book - is that our current POTUS is glomming <sp> on to it, as if he personified the 'team of rivals' ideal. BS
Old 12-04-2012, 20:54   #4
Flagg
Area Commander

I haven't seen it, but hope to eventually if nothing more than to see Daniel Day Lewis....great actor.

One of the concerns I have would be in how this film(if it's successful and manages to achieve a Schindler's List level of exposure and support in terms of presenting a somewhat accurate and important historical event) explores the issue of States Rights.

I would think the topic of States Rights is becoming increasingly important as the US continues to circle the 4th level of economic hell, and would hate to see any shaping of opinion/behavior any further away from what I assume many on this forum(and elsewhere) feel quite strongly about.

Does this movie present an opportunity to shape opinion further away from States Rights?

If so, does it do so honestly and fairly?

Am I being a bit paranoid to think there is potential for this film to misrepresent States Rights and cut the knees off any efforts to promote them?

10, 20 years ago I probably wouldn't ask the question.......but the timing on this film if it portrays an overly dim view of States Rights would be impeccably bad.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote