Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 05-09-2006, 21:56   #1
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

A work in progress...

Well...after much "Be-atch" name calling-my beloved took some photos in the back yard tonight. This is still a work in progress...there are still some items I am missing and I do not have all of my "pouch contents" yet. BUT-a little more research and opinion gathering leads to that gold nugget and keeps me from buying a box full of stuff that just won't do it for me.
Pay special attention to the tactical pager (Genuine Hospital Issue) and the Corvette key fob on the Levis Pockets

I chose shades of green for the majority of this gear-the exception on my 2nd line is my EMDOM BOMB medical kit. I purposely got this single pouch a "stand out" color (multicam).

1st Line-
ICE tactical Battle Belt with Tactical Tailor Riggers belt
EGL triple M4 shingle with integrated triple pistol pouch
EGL Medical leg panel (on detachable hanger)
HSGI Drop Holster with dual magazine pouch (on detachable hanger)
Retention Lanyard with quick release
HSGI Suspenders
still missing
dump pouch (Maxpedition / Roly / Spectre)
small GP pouch

I like my set-up so far. The addition of the dump pouch and a small GP pounc will round it out nicely. The ICE battlebelt is an outstanding piece of kit. I have found that wearing the HSGI Drop holster as high as ossible keeps it properly placed and makes for a decent presentation. The retention lanyard does get stretched almost to capacity though as my meat hangers appareantly are un-naturally gorilla like and longer than Grape Ape's. I also like the placement of the shingle on the L over the med drop panel. It rides nicely with my second line with only the foremost magazine being overlapped by the pistol / flashlight shingle on the plate carrier. I am able to sit comfortably without the magazines digging / gouging and access to the magazines is easily accomplished. The M4 mags are secured by horizontal bungees and are easily extracted. The pistol mags slots are retained by overlength velcro which allows for easy finding of the end tab-even with my SW Motorsports friction fighter gloves on. Another nice feature of the pistol mag pouches are the "top tabs" which allow for "pulling open" the insertion port to more easily seat the magazine / knife / whatever you want to stick in there. The jury is still out on the HSGI Suspenders-unweighted, they tend to fall off my shoulders due to the muscule structure of my neck and shoulders...for someone without decent trapezious development (flat from neck to shoulder) they may do better. Not totally discounting them yet though.

2nd Line
Eagle Plate Carrier with Cumberbund
EGL Huff#3 admin pouch
EGL M4 Double Stack
EGL M4 triple Single with top bungee retention
EGL triple pistol shingle with flashlight pouch
EMDOM BOMB medical kit
Paraclete horizontal GP pouch
TAG Hydration carrier
EGL Large dump pouch
still missing
Upright GP pouch
Radio pouch
Shoulder pads

I am considerably pleased with the current set up and the feel of this kit while worn over the 1st line. My only issue to this point is some limited access to the horizontal GP pouch. I may move this and replace it with an upright. Not yet certain.
The plate carrier is outstanding. The only "oddity" I had to work around was the front flap needing to be lifted in order to don and doff the cumberbund. I think this is a poor design as you must centrally place a shingle in order to allow the entire panel to lift as a unit. I placed my double stanc here. The cumberbund itself has internal sleeves as well as internal pockets to take both soft armor and hard plates. Very nice touch. I replaced the 550 cord adjustment in the back (joining the two halves of the cumberbund) with shock cord giving a more snug, and comfy, fit. The only real resertvation so far are the flimsy shoulderpads. These will need to be beefed up once I apply significant load weight to the rig. I went to Tactical Tailor and they use a similar, "maxi thin" like pad. It's almost shameful that they chose this easy avenue to skimp.
The EGL gear is outstanding quality-in workmanship and materials. The Huff #3 has a myriad of pockets and hideaways in such a small package and I would recommend this versatile admin pouch to anyone who felt they needed one on their vest. I am thinking of actually purchasing a second one for the GP pouch on my first line. It has that many potential uses. I very much like the flashlight pouch on the end of the pistol shingle as well. It is tapered with an open bottom so my Surefire "button switches" won't get pushed as they are placed into the sleeve.
The EMDOM BOMB is the only bit that I have made outside the US-but it is a good piece of kit with a unique 550 drawstring that control the level of opening and well thoughtout retention placement inside for medical gear.

While wearing this rig over my first line, the foremost M4 magazine is overlapped by the pistol shingle...other than that-I have had no issues.

Photos up-

Eagle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st and second copy.jpg (336.0 KB, 768 views)
File Type: jpg 2nd Line copy.jpg (317.9 KB, 694 views)
File Type: jpg Shooter 2 copy.jpg (262.2 KB, 798 views)
File Type: jpg Shooter front 2 copy.jpg (269.3 KB, 769 views)
File Type: jpg Shooter stance copy.jpg (268.4 KB, 721 views)

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 22:12   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Joe:

Nice get-up. Did you attract any attention in your rig?

Egg does good work does he not?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 22:15   #3
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

Bet the neighbors were getting worried when they called 911 reporting...

"There's a guy dressed like a ninja in body armor
running around his back yard pointing a pistol at my dog."
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:39   #4
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

EGG does indeed make some NICE gear. I didn't want to do the face blocks with my photo program so I put on my Ninja hood.

As far as my neighbors...we have probably the best house on Fort Lewis...backed up to 3/4 mile of deep woods and eventually running into a small stream. We are going to HATE leaving it in three weeks

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Old 05-10-2006, 09:46   #5
Guy
Quiet Professional

Lightbulb The only thing I would add...

Take a "concealable" holster with you!

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:57   #6
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

Eagle, Where you going next?
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 13:16   #7
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior-Mentor
Eagle, Where you going next?
Just down to the local 7-11.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 13:39   #8
SF18C
Quiet Professional

Bill I thought you would tell him he needs more knives!
"De Oppresso Liber"

Nomination for PS.com Quote of the Decade!
SF18C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 13:57   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey
Just down to the local 7-11.
Gotta be careful.

You know that the 7-11 is involved in a jihad with the Quickie Mart.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 14:55   #10
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF18C
Bill I thought you would tell him he needs more knives!
I seriously thought about that.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 17:40   #11
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Warrior-Mentor-
Sir-going to Ft. Leonard Wood to work in their ER next. My PROFIS slot is an issue that I am wheeling and dealing with. I am involved with some true "Operator haters" but haven't yet given up hope.

My knife situation for the rig is lacking at this point. I am not taking my T-2 to the desert, nor my Yarborough. I do have a Benchmade folder on it that I plan to have as my backup and a Swiss Army in my pocket-but I haven't gotten a true Combat Folder or Fixed Blade for the rig...yet.
My current mantra..."One piece at a time, the RIGHT piece each time".

The "am/pm"'s here were more highly effected by the Illiegal Immigrant protest than any sort of jihadist activities. Perhaps they should have been called "mananas/tardes". In either case, I probably wouldn't frequent any of them without wearing the above kit if I wanted to feel fully prepared. I have remarked previously that there is a LOT of gun violence in the PacNW. We were truely surprised.

On a positive note-my CCW is good in Missouri

Eagle

The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Old 05-11-2006, 02:37   #12
magician
Quiet Professional

I think that you need more pieces of "flair" on the rig.

I know that you saw the movie Office Space.

1st Platoon "Bad 'Muthers," Company A, 2d Ranger Battalion, 1980-1984;
ODA 151, Company B, 2d Battalion, 1SFGA, 1984-1986.
SFQC 04-84; Ranger class 14-81.
magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:21   #13
Five-O
Guerrilla Chief

?

Eagle5,
Not being a big fan of having a pistol in a rifle fight..I believe the only reason to carry a side arm is to fight your way to a rifle.....this question is more of a what if type. Having said that......

Great gear. I noticed the nice thigh rig for your secondary. Do you make any accomadations for a side arm holster during a mission that is more vehicle born?... in other words when it is MORE likely that you get to a side arm while seated in the vehicle?? I know the thigh rigs make that almost impossible during the crunch. I have seen rigs that allow a carry up on the chest. Wondering if you have any experience with them and if you see a value to them??

Last edited by Five-O; 05-12-2006 at 06:06.
Five-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:38   #14
eggroll
Guerrilla

Joe

I'm glad you got the gear on time and it fits the bill. Looking ready to take on the 'runway'

EGG
Old 05-11-2006, 13:23   #15
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

That pager looks HUGE! I thought it was a blackberry when I first saw it. Does it at least do more than beep?
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote