Old 10-30-2012, 22:52   #1
Dekadenz
SF Candidate

Boot sizing.

Before you jump to any conclusions, yes I already attempted to research this topic inside and outside of this website.
I am buying a pair of rocky s2v boots to ruck/run with before I leave with my 18xray in February. I live in the middle of no where and the closest retailer with them is over 2 1/2 hours away, I have no transportation capable of making the journey. Now my question, would the boot size for all rocky boots be universal? Could I go to my local hunting store fit a pair of rocky hunting/work boots and use that size when I order a pair of duty boots off the internet? Also since they should be broken in by the time I leave I hope to take them to selection as my (dry) second pair of well worn in boots. I assume I should get them in desert tan for this reason?
Thank you, any help is greatly appreciated.
Dekadenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:23   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Dekadenz

I currently live on a rock off the Florida coast.. Most of my shopping is via the internet.

Suggestions:
  • Order only from outfits that allow free returns
  • Order over the phone as they may be sympathic to your problem and offer suggestions.
  • Order your choice in multiple sizes, 9.5d,9.5ee,9.5eee
  • Read the forum and pick a boot that is universally liked

Vappos or DSW are ones I have use.

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 14:46   #3
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Go to a good local shoe store.
In the evening.
After walking 3-5 miles.
Get feet measured with 'rucking socks' on your smelly little LPC fillers.
That is the size boot you need to keep from hurting your feet any worse than rucking will do no matter how hard you try to protect those lower limb appendages.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 15:47   #4
Dekadenz
SF Candidate

I've done an enormous amount of research on the boot subject and I wanted to go with the Rocky S2Vs because they supposedly dry out within fifteen minutes, even while being worn. I assume this will be good for any swamp trecking I'll have to do at selection. I was going to order them from amazon (good return policy I believe). Thanks for the advice about ruck socks, ruck socks are just the standard army issue wool sock?
Thanks again.
Old 10-31-2012, 15:51   #5
HOLLiS
Area Commander

Adding to what X sf med said.

Your feet are unique to you. How they fit in the world of boots/shoes can be any bodies guess. If you never had problems, then your feet are in the world of normal. If you have problems, then it is something you need to look at. Go to a a real shoe store, one that actually measures your feet, probably one that can make orthodics and know about insoles, such as Super Feet.

Callus and blisters are a indication of a incorrect boot/shoe fit. Which shows there is movement in the boot. The ideal fit is like a driving glove not like a welding glove.

Besides size, length, arc length, width, and heel width there is volume. There are fat feet and skinny feet. Arc length is more critical than overall length, unless you have supper long toes. The real fit of the boot is heel to arch. Also width is important, some people with wide feet will buy a larger side, do not do that.

Also during the walking stride a foot can pronate, hardly any length to several sizes or more. In excessive pronation a arch support is needed to stabilize the foot in the boot.
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 15:55   #6
Dekadenz
SF Candidate

I don't know of any where in my area that is a real shoe store. We have a few in the local mall but all their employees are high school kids and I get the sneaking suspicion if I asked them to measure my feet they would say "Ew". I do have slightly wide feet. I'm looking on amazon and the sizes go from D to 2E. I assume that is the natural progression. I'm pretty educated on how to fit boots, I'm just wondering if the rocky hunting boot sizes are the same as their duty boot sizes. I could go fit myself a pair of rocky hunting boots at a local store and then just order the correct size of duty boots off amazon.
Old 10-31-2012, 15:55   #7
HOLLiS
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekadenz View Post
I've done an enormous amount of research on the boot subject and I wanted to go with the Rocky S2Vs because they supposedly dry out within fifteen minutes, even while being worn. I assume this will be good for any swamp trecking I'll have to do at selection. I was going to order them from amazon (good return policy I believe). Thanks for the advice about ruck socks, ruck socks are just the standard army issue wool sock?
Thanks again.
One of the problem with every boot, it is built on a last, some foot that the company feel will fit the most people.

There are a lot of good boots out there, the part that is important is finding one where the last is closer to your foot shape.

I use to own several stores, we did custom boot fittings. More for high performance sports, like running, skiing, etc. We also do custom work for people whose feet just don't like commercial made shoes. We did super feet orthodics and insoles and worked with a shoe repair store for additional alterations that we could not do in house.

So it really depends on your feet and how they fit the boot. As X SF MEd, said, socks adds volume to your foot. That can/will effect fit.
Old 10-31-2012, 15:57   #8
HOLLiS
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekadenz View Post
I don't know of any where in my area that is a real shoe store. We have a few in the local mall but all their employees are high school kids and I get the sneaking suspicion if I asked them to measure my feet they would say "Ew". I do have slightly wide feet. I'm looking on amazon and the sizes go from D to 2E. I assume that is the natural progression. I'm pretty educated on how to fit boots, I'm just wondering if the rocky hunting boot sizes are the same as their duty boot sizes. I could go fit myself a pair of rocky hunting boots at a local store and then just order the correct size of duty boots off amazon.
Once you have your feet measured, keep the record. It helps.

A lot of shoe stores, fit my the least pain method. Also I would recommend supporting the store that helps you. That support is a part of the price.
Old 10-31-2012, 16:04   #9
Dekadenz
SF Candidate

Thank you much sir. I'll do some more research and see if there isn't some where around here where I can get my feet measured. I'll be sure to go on a run/walk and wear a pair of thick socks.
Thanks again!
Edit: Do you think the rocky printout foot sizer would be accurate?
Old 10-31-2012, 18:07   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Most athletic shoe stores have sizing machines, if there are any nearby.

I thought I was true to the 10.5 W Jungle Boot size till I had a couple of pairs of custom cowboy boots made.

From the tracings I did and the used boots I sent in, I found out that my right foot was a 10.5 EEE and the left was a 10 EE.

If you have that issue and are buying off the shelf, you will have to go with the boots that are in the larger size.

Best of luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 18:36   #11
Dekadenz
SF Candidate

I haven't picked up a pair of rucking socks yet (I assume these are just the standard issue army wool socks since to the best of my knowledge that is all that is allowed at sfas, train as you work) I plan to order them with my boots, would a thick pair of wool socks suffice for fitting?