Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 02-06-2014, 07:24   #1
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Meyerco Blackie Collins Rifleman

I was going to post this in the "edged weapons" forum, but this is more of a tool. I was wondering if any of you gents have used this before. I am considering ordering these for the LEO's I work with (I am designated supply bitch), and I am looking for pro's/con's of the design. On paper it looks like the cat's pajamas, but everything usually looks good on paper/websites. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Meyerco Blackie Collins Rifleman Knife

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:41   #2
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

How often do your guys need a glass breaker/sight tool/case extractor/tanto point with serrated edge knife (with gift box)?

If the purchase warrants spending $149., I'd imagine it would be worth it.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:02   #3
DDD
Quiet Professional

Pretty pricey... As for the front sight tool, search the interweb for -rangemaster pen- you can pick them up for under 20 usd.
DDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:09   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Hell I don't know anyone that is running iron sights these days....
Old 02-06-2014, 09:12   #5
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
How often do your guys need a glass breaker/sight tool/case extractor/tanto point with serrated edge knife (with gift box)?

If the purchase warrants spending $149., I'd imagine it would be worth it.
Well, it's more of a "nice to have" item. To clarify, these LEO's work at the range with me, and it's only 7 people that I'd request purchasing for. This was my reasoning, however it may need an adjustment:

Glass breaking: To remove a trapped/incapacitated motorist from their vehicle in a roadside emergency in case the doors were locked and smoke/fire was present.

Sight tool: Range training evolutions.

Auto knife: EDC for whenever you need a knife.

Case extractor: Just in case. It does happen occasionally on washed out rifle, SAW, & 240 barrels. I also support military LE elements during training.

Fire starter: Who doesn't need a fire starter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD View Post
Pretty pricey... As for the front sight tool, search the interweb for -rangemaster pen- you can pick them up for under 20 usd.
Thank you for that. Seeing as I work in range operations/armorer duties, this will come in handy if the knives don't get approved.

My primary focus was to see if this is an expensive POS, or worth the $150.00. Also, I wanted to throw this tool out there to you guys in case any of you could use it and haven't seen it before. I saw it and immediately thought of it's uses out in the field or for training. Does anyone see value here, or is it more of a gimmick?

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke

Last edited by BryanK; 02-06-2014 at 11:17.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:14   #6
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanK View Post
Well, it's more of a "nice to have" item. To clarify, these LEO's work at the range with me, and it's only 7 people that I'd request purchasing for. This was my reasoning, however it may need an adjustment:

Glass breaking: To remove a trapped/incapacitated motorist from their vehicle in a roadside emergency in case the doors were locked and smoke/fire was present.

Sight tool: Range training evolutions.

Auto knife: EDC for whenever you need a knife.

Case extractor: Just in case. It does happen occasionally on washed out rifle, SAW, & 240 barrels. I also support military LE elements during training.

Fire starter: Who doesn't need a fire starter? It's made in the US, right?

Thank you for that. Seeing as I work in range operations/armorer duties, this will come in handy if the knives don't get approved.

My primary focus was to see if this is an expensive POS, or worth the $150.00. Also, I wanted to throw this tool out there to you guys in case any of you could use it and haven't seen it before. I saw it and immediately thought of it's uses out in the field or for training. Does anyone see value here, or is it more of a gimmick?
If you need the tools and it's worth the money to you, it has value.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:15   #7
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Hell I don't know anyone that is running iron sights these days....
We still zero with iron sights before optics, DON is funny that way

Old 02-07-2014, 10:45   #8
Leozinho
Quiet Professional

Pretty pricey given that it's a Meyerco (that I assume is made in China or Taiwan.) I think of Meyerco's as $15 flea market knives. But I haven't handled one in a long time so it might be much better.

I'd rather have $65 Spyderco Delica with a wave and a separate tool for the armorer functions.
Leozinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:56   #9
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

I hadn't seen them before, maybe that explains it. I appreciate the insight.

Old 02-07-2014, 20:13   #10
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Get Leatherman MUTs for the same price and have something that's actually useful.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:42   #11
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

I outfitted everyone with Gerber's with last year's funding. I've also purchased front sight tools, but I got a bad deal on that one and all the teeth have been bent. E-2's, 3's, and 4's can wreak havoc on some front sight tools, so I figured we could use something sturdy we can just clip inside a pants pocket or shirt (for our use only), and also have other functions. However, since DDD shared that tip on the rangemaster pen, we may end up getting those. I appreciate all the advice.