Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 05-10-2010, 08:50   #1
BrainStorm
Guerrilla

Chinese Soldier Shovel Multi-Tool

I'm pretty ignorant about stuff like this.

What's your take?
BrainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:03   #2
Kyobanim

But wait! There's More!

Make julian fries!

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:21   #3
Paslode
Area Commander

The only thing missing is Billy Mays, some Mighty Putty in the handle and if you call in the next 10 minutes we'll double your order! That's right! You'll get 2 Amazing Shovels for the incredible price of only $19.95 each!

All joking aside, it looks somewhat like my Viet Nam era shovel which is quite handy.
Paslode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:47   #4
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

It's a shovel.

Maybe some people haven't seen these before.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:00   #5
jw74
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainStorm View Post

I'm pretty ignorant about stuff like this.

What's your take?
Pretty ignorant of how a shovel works?

I want my 8min 46secs back
jw74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:00   #6
NoRoadtrippin
Guerrilla

Everyone on my Christmas list is getting two of these.

I especially liked how it sets up tents. That will save me so much time that I can use to just sit at camp while it does all the work.
For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-Jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary period, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which is likely to be the more ominous for the [terrorists] -- an American decision that this is sport, or that it is business.
-D. W. Brogan, The American Character
NoRoadtrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:13   #7
Richard
Quiet Professional

And so it goes...

Richard

Underground Combat: Stereophonic Blasting,Tunnel Rats and the Soviet-Afghan War
Foreign Military Studies Office, Fort Leavenworth, KS.

The search group was armed with knifes, entrenching tools, hand grenades, pistols, and assault rifles. { Note: The entrenching tool was a weapon of choice for Soviet soldiers in hand-to-hand combat. Elite forces normally kept a razor-sharp edge on their entrenching tools. }

http://fmso.leavenworth.army.mil/doc...d/undrgrnd.htm
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:03   #8
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Why are Chinese soldiers eating Spam and drinking champagne to the tunes from a spaghetti Western?

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:04   #9
Pete
Quiet Professional

Pick or Hoe?

Pick or Hoe?

But really it's pretty much the same as our last model Wood Handle E-Tool - except ours did have the pick.

The sharp edge? Could put an adge on ours if you wanted to - don't know why - I'd just use my K-BAR or multi tool for anything fancy.

Of course we now have the black piece of crap.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:09   #10
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Hey SGM... we keep those black pieces of crap in each vehicle... they work very well against Zombies, and even those too stupid to die...

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:45   #11
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

Carry a heavy ruck all day then use a short handled e-tool to dig a foxhole for NDP; and people wonder why infantrymen wind up with bad backs.

SFA M-9545
Buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 21:43   #12
rdret1
Quiet Professional

I would have hated to be the grappling hook tester and it looked like it would have taken forever to open that can of ham. It made a pretty neat shield though.

~ Paul Brunton (1898-1981)

R.D. Winters
rdret1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 21:47   #13
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
And so it goes...

Richard

Underground Combat: Stereophonic Blasting,Tunnel Rats and the Soviet-Afghan War
Foreign Military Studies Office, Fort Leavenworth, KS.

The search group was armed with knifes, entrenching tools, hand grenades, pistols, and assault rifles. { Note: The entrenching tool was a weapon of choice for Soviet soldiers in hand-to-hand combat. Elite forces normally kept a razor-sharp edge on their entrenching tools. }

http://fmso.leavenworth.army.mil/doc...d/undrgrnd.htm
Worked pretty well for Ola Mize too.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 00:25   #14
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
In the book "All Quiet on the Western Front" and other sources I have read, during WWI a sharp shovel was the weapon of choice for hand to hand. I am far from being an expert however.
I prefer a loaded gun, and don't care if people see that as somehow unfair.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 00:59   #15
JMonty
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I prefer a loaded gun, and don't care if people see that as somehow unfair.

TR
Wouldn't it also be shovel to face instead of hand to hand?
"I say to you now only what I would say to my own men, knowing the fear that stands unspoken in each heart - not of death, but worse, of faltering or failing, of somehow proving unworthy in this, the ultimate hour. Forget every concept, however noble, that you imagine you fight for here today. Act for this alone: for the man who stands at your shoulder." -Dienekes 'Gates of Fire'
JMonty is offline   Reply With Quote