Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 06-02-2009, 10:56   #1
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Obama picks NY Republican for Army secretary

Obama picks NY Republican for Army secretary
June 2, 2009

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Barack Obama has chosen a Republican congressman to be the new secretary of the Army, adding to the ranks of opposition party figures in his administration.

Obama said that Rep. John McHugh, who has represented upstate New York, is committed to keeping America's Army "the best trained, the best equipped, the best land force the world has ever seen."

The president said that in his new job, McHugh will make sure the country's troops can handle the new kinds of combat in the 21st century, including nonconventional warfare. McHugh has been a key member of the House Armed Services Committee.

Obama said that as secretary, McHugh also will understand the needs of America's servicemen and women.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

WASHINGTON (AP) _ President Barack Obama will nominate Republican Rep. John McHugh as secretary of the Army, adding to Obama's growing ranks of appointments from the opposition party, a White House official said Tuesday.

McHugh has represented New York in Congress since 1993 and is the top Republican on the House Armed Services Committee.

The president will announce McHugh's appointment at the White House Tuesday. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because the formal announcement is pending.

Since taking office, Obama has said he wants to include Republicans in his administration.

If confirmed, McHugh will join Defense Secretary Robert Gates, a holdover from George W. Bush's Republican administration, at the Pentagon. Obama also selected former Republican Rep. Ray LaHood of Illinois as transportation secretary.

Obama tried to get another Republican into the administration, New Hampshire Sen. Judd Gregg. Obama nominated Gregg for commerce secretary after his first choice, New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, withdrew amid a grand jury investigation.

But a week after his nomination, Gregg withdrew, citing "irresolvable conflicts" with the Democratic president.

In Congress, McHugh devoted himself to protecting and expanding Fort Drum in northern New York, home of the Army's 10th Mountain Division.

In recent years, Fort Drum has grown as its soldiers face long deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan, but McHugh and other New York politicians have fought to keep Washington from shutting it down as a cost-saving measure.

McHugh and then-Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton even went so far as to write a letter of protest to a fictional character on the television show "The West Wing" after an episode suggested closing the base.

Sen. Chuck Schumer, a New York Democrat, said he would "work to ensure a swift and smooth confirmation for my good friend."

"Two words that characterize John McHugh are class and service, and in this new job he will once again be able to use both," Schumer said in a statement.

The current Army Secretary, Pete Geren, has held the position since 2007.

____

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:17   #2
Shar
Guerrilla

While I hate to ever agree with Chuck Schumer on anything -

Having lived at Fort Drum for 3 years very recently, I've seen what both Clinton and McHugh did for the soldiers up there and it wasn't insignificant. The motives behind Clinton's actions were always questionable, but McHugh wasn't in it for the photo op. For now I'll say it's a good pick especially since he's not backing down on his opposition to closing Guantanamo.

It does make you wonder whether Obama is picking off key members of the House Republicans to further neutralize any power they'd wield in that body. I'd still wager a Republican will take that seat again in an election. It's pretty darn conservative up there.

Oh and...

Quote:
In recent years, Fort Drum has grown as its soldiers face long deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan, but McHugh and other New York politicians have fought to keep Washington from shutting it down as a cost-saving measure.

McHugh and then-Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton even went so far as to write a letter of protest to a fictional character on the television show "The West Wing" after an episode suggested closing the base.
this always cracked me up. Hillary was forever touting how she "saved" Fort Drum from the BRAC list. Uhhh, Drum wasn't ever in danger of being closed. No one wants that land back and it's about as cheap as it gets to operate. But thanks!

Last edited by Shar; 06-02-2009 at 11:25. Reason: added quote
Shar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:57   #3
Razor
Quiet Professional

Anyone know who (and thus, which party) will take over as ranking member of the HASC when McHugh leaves?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:58   #4
Slantwire
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shar View Post
It does make you wonder whether Obama is picking off key members of the House Republicans to further neutralize any power they'd wield in that body.
That was my first thought. Of course, that was my thought when he nominated Senator Gregg, as well.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:00   #5
csquare
Quiet Professional

It does make you wonder whether Obama is picking off key members of the House Republicans to further neutralize any power they'd wield in that body.

That was the first that came to my mind too?
What is NY's law on replacing their congressman, by special election or by the Governor?
I do not regret a day I spent in uniform—I’m immensely proud of my service. If I’ve learned anything, I’ve learned what a truly remarkable thing it is to be a combat veteran. Now I want to live an exceptional life for those who never made it home.
csquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:02   #6
Slantwire
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Anyone know who (and thus, which party) will take over as ranking member of the HASC when McHugh leaves?
Rep. Ike Skelton (D-MO) is the current chair. As I understand it, "ranking member" is the senior member of the minority party. I believe that status will fall to Rep. Roscoe Bartlett (R-MD). Whether the title will follow the status? I don't know.

There are currently 37 Democrats and 25 Republicans on the committee (McHugh included).

HASC web page is here.

Last edited by Slantwire; 06-02-2009 at 12:13. Reason: Answering the question more directly
Slantwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:06   #7
Shar
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
All three vying for the position are members of the GOP. Bartlett, McKeon and Thornberry.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cap...e_for_top.html

And from what I've read, his replacement in Congress would be decided by special election. When I lived back there and voted, I had to vote "Conservative" party because the Republicans weren't exactly what I considered Republican - but nevertheless, you've got a very large Mennonite, military, Amish and farming population in the district. At the polls it was our truck and a few Amish buggies. I guess the area went to Obama, but I don't think that has anything to do with anything. I think it'll stay GOP.
Old 06-02-2009, 14:35   #8
6.8SPC_DUMP
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by csquare View Post
What is NY's law on replacing their congressman, by special election or by the Governor?
Special elections for all Congressional vacancies the US.

I'd be surprised if another Republican wasn't voted in from that district.
6.8SPC_DUMP is offline   Reply With Quote