Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 09-20-2009, 14:34   #181
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc View Post
You guys are wearing those shoes?
I dont run in them but I wear them when I am lifting (power-lifting.) They provide a better base for me and assist me in keeping my heels pressed into the ground/floor during squats, deadlifts...

They are pretty good for around the house too, not that I have had much time to be around the house in them...

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 17:38   #182
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

That's a nice avatar you got there Doc. What's the words say?

They look like they would probably be ok on grass...
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 19:02   #183
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

"ODERINT DUM METUANT" Let them hate, as long as they fear.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 19:43   #184
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I like it.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 13:06   #185
frostfire
Area Commander

Probably not new to most, but new to me.

With the exception of high intensity training (EDT), when I do cardio I didn't like doing strength exercise and vice versa. So now I'm combining ruck with calishtenics such as push-ups while still wearing the ruck. I do 4 to 7 miles, 45lbs ruck march/trot at 12:30 to 14:19 pace. If I take water sips every 3 miles, I'll do 20 push-ups, if every 2 miles, 30 pushups. Hence, making the options bad and worse.

On a side note, finally took my first APFT for record, went beyond max for PU (93), SU (84), although by SF standard (chest touching ground, slow-controlled movement), that 93 probably drops to 77 or 70. Sit-ups are solid though, as I went beyond perpendicular and had my inner elbows touch the knees each time. The running OTOH...14:52. The good Colonel who was almost twice my age did it in almost 2 minutes faster! Learned my lesson. Rucking (trot/run) does not translate to running well. Without the ruck, the first 0.7 mile I felt like flying, but not so with the other 1.3 mile. I was told to stop after maxing PU and SU, and to conserve the energy for the run, but all I could hear in my mind was "do the best you can. "

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 13:46   #186
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire
I was told to stop after maxing PU and SU, and to conserve the energy for the run, but all I could hear in my mind was "do the best you can.
Told to stop? What a sad, self-limiting philosophy.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 22:21   #187
frostfire
Area Commander

I've been running in the pool to further ingrain the POSE running technique. Shift center of gravity forward, keep arms above the head (if arms move in the water too, the training of the feet is hindered), then "fall" forward and keep pulling the feet forward-up. It's easy on the knees and joints too, but the muscles get worked from the water resistance.

Additionally, I found out the bottom of your feet develop hot spots rather fast after 500yards or so of back n forth in the pool. Well, dry it up, put some isopropyl alcohol and voila! Building calluses and toughening the feet!

I started doing it by accident after observing someone doing the same and recalling the pool physical training given to injured cross country athletes when I was life-guarding. BTW, in regards to swimming, I highly recommend learning Combat Side Stroke for anyone wanting to swim further. Even a weak swimmer like me who couldn't last beyond 300 yds doing freestyle could do 500 yards in 10:30 w/o getting smoked.

INDNJC
Old 03-26-2010, 09:36   #188
Dack
Asset

I'm just doing the 30 day workout in WM's book.
Dack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:45   #189
Masochist
Guerrilla Chief

SORB Training

Has anyone tried the "new" workouts on the SORB page? There are a lot more instructional videos than before and a comprehensive manual.

http://www.bragg.army.mil/sorb/Sorb_Videos.html

http://www.bragg.army.mil/sorb/text/...0Draft%203.pdf

http://groups.google.com/group/thetacticalathlete

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long
Masochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 15:24   #190
k-rub
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masochist View Post
Has anyone tried the "new" workouts on the SORB page? There are a lot more instructional videos than before and a comprehensive manual.

Does anyone have experience with the kind of foot care recommended here? I haven't heard anything about reducing callouses and making the skin soft. He didn't provide any reason why this is better than toughening up the foot.

On a side note, I have heard from a couple different QPs that tincture of benzoine is not allowed at SFAS. If that is true, why would they recommend that in the videos?
k-rub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 16:11   #191
Masochist
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-rub View Post
Does anyone have experience with the kind of foot care recommended here? I haven't heard anything about reducing callouses and making the skin soft. He didn't provide any reason why this is better than toughening up the foot.

On a side note, I have heard from a couple different QPs that tincture of benzoine is not allowed at SFAS. If that is true, why would they recommend that in the videos?
Actually, a few months ago (before I came across this) I found similar information and decided to try it.

Almost two decades of built-up calluses from walking around barefoot all my life came off in a few ginormous hunks a year or so ago after a particularly long hike. If anyone has ever developed a blister under about a dozen layers of hardened skin, it was similar to that, leaving my feet as tender as a newborn baby's bottom. I was thoroughly upset, as that hard-earned layer of protection had pretty much kept my feet blister free the majority of my life. Now that my feet are more susceptible to damage, I've tried to find ways to either quickly rebuild that toughness or mitigate the damage to my soft soles.

Using an apricot-seed exfoliant on the bottoms of my feet every few weeks, using moisturizer immediately after, along with the standard footcare while hiking, have helped keep my feet mostly out of trouble while they don't have the same callous armor from before. YMMV, but IMHO it's not a bad method to try.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long
Masochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:45   #192
MILON
Guerrilla

I just returned from SFAS and you cannot bring tincture of benzoine into the course, but the medics there do have it on hand. They are very good about giving out supplies used to treat blisters. I didnt choose to use it, but I think you just have to ask for it.
MILON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:11   #193
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masochist View Post

thanks for pointing this out. It validates my workout regiment, primarily tons of sprints, core (bridges & planks), lunges, and the good 'ol EDT

INDNJC
Old 04-01-2010, 20:12   #194
Speedgod
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
I've been running in the pool to further ingrain the POSE running technique. Shift center of gravity forward, keep arms above the head (if arms move in the water too, the training of the feet is hindered), then "fall" forward and keep pulling the feet forward-up. It's easy on the knees and joints too, but the muscles get worked from the water resistance.

Additionally, I found out the bottom of your feet develop hot spots rather fast after 500yards or so of back n forth in the pool. Well, dry it up, put some isopropyl alcohol and voila! Building calluses and toughening the feet!

I started doing it by accident after observing someone doing the same and recalling the pool physical training given to injured cross country athletes when I was life-guarding. BTW, in regards to swimming, I highly recommend learning Combat Side Stroke for anyone wanting to swim further. Even a weak swimmer like me who couldn't last beyond 300 yds doing freestyle could do 500 yards in 10:30 w/o getting smoked.
FF,

I started running in the pool after some swimming. I am running for about 8minutes and I can alrewady tell the difference on my feet. Looking forward to my next drill rsp weekend as we are hiking.
Thanks FF for the pool tip.

SG
Speedgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 21:38   #195
Memento_Mori
Asset

to bring it up again...

Can anyone better acquainted with the physical requirements for SFAS, and beyond, comment on the efficacy of the workout regimen prescribed by the new SORB page? I have read plenty of posts regarding the use of a sandbag, a trx system, etc, but I am curious what everyone thinks of the specific program posted on the page.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Memento_Mori is offline   Reply With Quote