Old 01-14-2005, 09:30   #1
Flynnsane
Asset

Thinking of joining up....

Greetings gentlemen,

I was referred to this forum by a friend as somewhere I could go to ask questions about SF. I'll try not to make these questions too inane, but please don't be angered by my ignorance as this is exactly what I'm trying to correct. Basically, I'm 33 years old, a consultant with a software firm, have a degree in econ from the University of Michigan, train no holds barred fighting 5 days a week which keeps me in peak physical shape, am sick to death of the 9-5 gig, and am looking for something more. I've recently begun considering joining the army as I think it would provide both the challenge and the chance to serve and give something back for which I've been looking. Started doing some research and was intrigued by what I'd read about SF. What has attracted me is a lot of what I've read on this forum: brotherhood, challenge, sense of accomplishment, honor, and especially the motto of freeing the oppressed. I went to speak to a recruiter. He informed me that it was possible to apply to SF at my age, but that I'd need a waiver for my age. My question (probably the first of many, if ya'll will oblige me) is: What is involved with getting an age waiver? Is it realistic to even hope for one?

Also, and I know this is open ended, what advice can you offer someone in my posittion who is considering this as an option? What kind of questions should I ask the recruiter? Basically, I'm just trying to start a dialogue here by which I might gain information about my options.

Thank you all in advance for your consideration.
Flynnsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 09:53   #2
Jo Sul
Quiet Professional

The age waiver should not be a problem - the Army needs people these days and will probably not hold you up on the age issue.

If you really want to be SF, go for it - it can be done and has been done by men older than you are. If you have a positive attitude and are physically fit you should have as good a chance of success as anyone.

Since you have a degree, you have the option of going the officer route. However, if you are really interested in SF I would suggest that you go enlisted - maybe consider a commission after you have put in a few years on the NCO side. If you do want to become an officer, keep in mind that you must get your commission before age 40 - this is NOT waiverable.

On the other hand, you'll be a darn old Lieutenant this way - if you want a long career as an officer shooting for birds and stars then you'd be better off starting down the officer path now.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:11   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I do not believe that you are age waiverable for SFAS and would have to come in in another MOS and wait till you are an E-4 to apply for SFAS. That would take a year or two, another year or two in the SFQC, and three years retainability to take an SFOD-A slot. Looks like five-six years of your life to go that route.

If you could get an 18X contract, that is a 6 year service obligation, make it or not.

I recommend that you look into a Guard SF slot, you will get to know more about the job before you lock in several years of your life in a full-time job.

Good luck!

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 21:39   #4
TitratetoEffect
Quiet Professional

Thinking of joining up

If this is any help, I was 33 y/o and an 18x. I was lucky enough to get a waiver and fought tooth and nail for it. If you are going to sign on the dotted line do some research and know EXACTLY what you are getting into. The pipline is long depending on your MOS it can be very long and there are many that get weeded out. By the way, if you quit or someting happens you will have a 5 to 6 year contract in the 82nd Airborne. I'll tell you this, though .... I enjoy my job and it was worth the pay cut.

NG is another option and also has some bennefits that might become apparent if you complete the course.

Phil
TitratetoEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 07:42   #5
Weazle23
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
... and wait till you are an E-4 to apply for SFAS. That would take a year or two...
If your degree is of the four year varity you can enlist as an E-4. Just be prepared to take a ribbing for being a "college boy".
Old 01-17-2005, 09:21   #6
Flynnsane
Asset

Thanks to all for the responses.

Titrate Effect, what did you have to go thru to get the age waiver? Sounds like it was hard to come by?

Weazle, yes, my degree is a BA in econ so I've been told by the recruiter that I'd go in as an E4.

Reaper, I will definately look into NG as well. I will gladly research all the options available.

One of the site admins recently directed me to parts of this site that contain a lot of information on selection qualification. I've been going thru the prepatory work outs and will continue to build up to where I need to be as I go thru the process with my recruiter. It will be a couple of months before I can commit to anything in any event so I can use that time to get into peak shape.
Flynnsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 09:27   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

In this case, time is NOT your friend.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 20:55   #8
Archangel
BANNED USER

Flynn,

PM Inbound.
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:26   #9
Rob_0811
Auxiliary

PM inbound