Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 11-27-2012, 10:12   #1
craigepo
Quiet Professional

P90X/Insanity

Is anybody here doing either of these workouts? If so, how are your results, and are you following the diets that are prescribed?

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 14:22   #2
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Done them both. Didn't follow the diet with either. Both sucked in their own way. Both had similar results...PAIN...lots and LOTS of pain. But both did provide a most excellent workout.
Get it used off of craigslist-

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 20:13   #3
JSMosby
Quiet Professional

I did both.

P90X - I followed the diet rigidly for phase 1 and 2 but did not switch to the higher carb phase 3. The workout was intense and long. Plan on 60-90 minutes per session, 6 days/week. The results were pretty amazing. I dropped several inches all around. All of my aches and pains disappeared (except for the "yoga butt" soreness that never seemed to go away). P90X requires pull up bar, yoga matt, dumbells and a few other nice to have items.

Insanity - Did not follow the diet. Insanity and P90X are two completely different programs. I don't think they are even in the same category...think aerobics on steroids vs Crossfit. Insanity is HIIT in reverse....rather than keep bumping your heart rate up and down, you just keep it sky high with an occasional break. Sweat literally shot out of my face! I didn't get the same results as I did P90X, but I didn't have as much to lose as when I started P90X either. However, my cardio fitness was tip top...i could jack my heart rate up to 180 and it would drop back to around 60ish in minutes. Insanity required a towel.

Who is John Galt?

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
JSMosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 21:37   #4
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
Is anybody here doing either of these workouts? If so, how are your results, and are you following the diets that are prescribed?
As JSMosby said about them both.. Diet plan is key with any weigth lost program.

Like JS said, Insanity is a HiiT on steroids.. Best if you are in somewhat descent aerobic shape when you start Insanity.

Both will get you into Shape, but I will add to research Tabata and HiiT workouts. You can get good to great programs free online. Most of P90X and Insanity are loosely based on these styles.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 20:47   #5
craigepo
Quiet Professional

I'm glad this has smoked some other folks. Damn, I knew I was out of shape, but wow.

I am really, really glad nobody had invented plyometrics before I went to Ranger school. That is a very sadistic workout.

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
Old 11-29-2012, 12:09   #6
spherojon
Guerrilla

Quote:
That is a very sadistic workout.
Ya Plyo was a bitch, work out was fun, but i couldn't sit down for weeks for the fear of having to get up and using my quads to do so.

Yoga cracked me up, cause I was all over the place for the first month. I was using this program to get 18x ready, worked well, I was in great shape, lean and mean. Then dislocated my shoulder (not during the workout)...and all hell broke lose. About ready to hop back on the P90x craze. There is P90x 2 or something, a cool resource is Coach Wayne, gives reviews and some interesting info.

www.teamripped.com

Just my 2cents

PS. not trying to promote any work out over another. Blitzing was awesome, it really helps with strength.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:54   #7
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMosby View Post
I did both.

P90X - I followed the diet rigidly for phase 1 and 2 but did not switch to the higher carb phase 3. The workout was intense and long. Plan on 60-90 minutes per session, 6 days/week. The results were pretty amazing. I dropped several inches all around. All of my aches and pains disappeared (except for the "yoga butt" soreness that never seemed to go away). P90X requires pull up bar, yoga matt, dumbells and a few other nice to have items.

Insanity - Did not follow the diet. Insanity and P90X are two completely different programs. I don't think they are even in the same category...think aerobics on steroids vs Crossfit. Insanity is HIIT in reverse....rather than keep bumping your heart rate up and down, you just keep it sky high with an occasional break. Sweat literally shot out of my face! I didn't get the same results as I did P90X, but I didn't have as much to lose as when I started P90X either. However, my cardio fitness was tip top...i could jack my heart rate up to 180 and it would drop back to around 60ish in minutes. Insanity required a towel.
I have now finished both of these. Both are really good workouts. Very different, but very good. I now understand what you meant when you talked about sweat shooting out of one's face. Your review was right on. I have now ordered Insanity Asylum. If it's like insanity, oh boy. Thinking about the P90x2 at some point, as soon as I get room to store the extra gear.

Josey Wales
Old 10-14-2013, 17:44   #8
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Congrats on doing them both.

If you haven't heard about Sean T's new workout.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fit...t25-workout.do

Have a guy doing this now.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 23:23   #9
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
I have now finished both of these. Both are really good workouts. Very different, but very good. I now understand what you meant when you talked about sweat shooting out of one's face. Your review was right on. I have now ordered Insanity Asylum. If it's like insanity, oh boy. Thinking about the P90x2 at some point, as soon as I get room to store the extra gear.
You are easily the most badass judge in America, your honor.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 14:26   #10
Gungnir
Asset

Those of you who have completed either one (or both), would you feel it would've helped or hurt you during SFAS?

A little background to help answer the question in the direction I'm most looking for:

Today is the final Fit Test for Insanity for me, and I was planning on picking up P90X and repeating Insanity for the next two months. I have heard that large amounts of muscle can slow you down in SFAS which will hurt you in the long run.
A more direct question may be "Would the amount of muscle this routine will build be a positive or a negative when preparing for SFAS?"

Thank you.
Old 11-08-2013, 21:13   #11
hotshot
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Those of you who have completed either one (or both), would you feel it would've helped or hurt you during SFAS?

A little background to help answer the question in the direction I'm most looking for:

Today is the final Fit Test for Insanity for me, and I was planning on picking up P90X and repeating Insanity for the next two months. I have heard that large amounts of muscle can slow you down in SFAS which will hurt you in the long run.
A more direct question may be "Would the amount of muscle this routine will build be a positive or a negative when preparing for SFAS?"

Thank you.
Have you used the 6 week SFAS Preparation workout? Your "large amounts of muscle" comment is very subjective. You need both muscle and endurance, so a balance more or less. How much endurance training beyond Insanity are you doing?

I would not rely on P90X/Insanity alone to prepare for SFAS. There are existing programs (Search this site) that are much more oriented to your possible future career.

You need to focus on moving with a rucksack for long periods, getting up and down with a ruck sack and being able to mentally function at the same time. Be resourceful and a self starter.

CH
hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 00:28   #12
Gungnir
Asset

^^^ Thanks for the reply.

I'll definitely check out all those other workouts. I ruck, run and lift, but I enjoy workouts with a little more...program.

I'll definitely dig a little deeper into the boards and pull out some other programs to stack on top.

Thank you.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:00   #13
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Hotshot's advice is right on. P90x and Insanity are great workouts, but they aren't specific enough for what you are getting ready to do. Use some of the SFAS-specific workouts on here for the bulk of your prep work.

If you get a copy of p90x, there are a couple of workouts therein that might come in handy. Back and chest is a workout that is very push-up and chin-up heavy; if you can hang with Tony Horton, you are getting where you need to be. Also, the Stretch workout is a really good off-day stretching routine. Same thing for the yoga DVD, although 90 minutes of yoga is a long damn time.

Josey Wales
Old 11-09-2013, 09:19   #14
hotshot
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Hotshot's advice is right on. P90x and Insanity are great workouts, but they aren't specific enough for what you are getting ready to do. Use some of the SFAS-specific workouts on here for the bulk of your prep work.

If you get a copy of p90x, there are a couple of workouts therein that might come in handy. Back and chest is a workout that is very push-up and chin-up heavy; if you can hang with Tony Horton, you are getting where you need to be. Also, the Stretch workout is a really good off-day stretching routine. Same thing for the yoga DVD, although 90 minutes of yoga is a long damn time.
I will say that insanity workouts are like any other, they can be a major ass kicker if you put a lot into it. My wife does more of the Zumba/Insanity type workouts and honestly before she talked me into trying it I didn't think very highly of Insanity.

I attribute my recovery from a back injury partly to the core training that comes out of Insanity. It is also very useful if you have limited time and space to get in a quick workout.

CH
hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 13:51   #15
TxRoadwarrior
Asset

I live out of a hotel 4-5 days out of the week and I have used the Insanity workout videos before. It's a decent workout routine w/out equipment required. I also pack my TRX along and mix it in with runs and rucking. Out of town gym fees are ridiculous these days.
TxRoadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote