Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 01-29-2012, 21:45   #1
gumby2/6
Asset

Rope Climbing spots in RDU area?

Getting ready for a 19th Group tryout and I was wondering if anyone on the board had first-hand knowledge of any ropes in the RDU area that needed climbing. I was thinking there might be some park or NG armory that might have one, but I haven't turned up anything through Google. Thanks.
gumby2/6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 23:25   #2
MG*
Asset

I rock climb at the Triangle Rock Club.

URL is trianglerockclub.com

Good setup for top-rope climbing, lead climbing, and some pretty challenging bouldering. No straight up ropes to climb though, but you could probably jerry rig something. It's a bit on the expensive end, $40-50, but worth checking out.

Another place is Vertical Edge in Durham, but I wouldn't recommend it, not enough bang for your buck.

-Jim
MG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 00:00   #3
gumby2/6
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG* View Post
I rock climb at the Triangle Rock Club.

URL is trianglerockclub.com

Good setup for top-rope climbing, lead climbing, and some pretty challenging bouldering. No straight up ropes to climb though, but you could probably jerry rig something. It's a bit on the expensive end, $40-50, but worth checking out.

Another place is Vertical Edge in Durham, but I wouldn't recommend it, not enough bang for your buck.

-Jim
Thanks for the response. Confirms what I was able to gather from the internet about both those places(Didn't look like they had regular ol' ropes to climb).
Old 01-30-2012, 11:45   #4
Triāngulo
Asset

Drop the $70 or $80 and get a 15' from Rogue Fitness... they last and you can hang them anywhere you are. Its what I used to train up for my tryout with 19th. You'll be climbing quite a bit of rope, so its worth the expenditure.
Triāngulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:53   #5
Scimitar
Area Commander

It's a while ago now, but I had a similar issue, I bought a quality climbing rope for less then $100 total and would hang it from this tree in the backyard.

Also do schools still carry ropes, or is that too dangerous now?

Crossfit Gyms almost always have ropes, google your local Crossfit Gyms call around.

Another thought, try climbing gyms, although they tend to want to have you Belayed while you're doing it, extra cost and hassle.

Also, something I found helpful when I only had limited access to a rope, I hung a towel over a bar and did "pull-ups" to work the same muscles, all you need the actual rope for is technique practice, relatively easy skill to master I found, not requiring hours and hours of rope time. I trained on the towel, practiced technique on the rope.

HTH

S

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:33   #6
gumby2/6
Asset

Great suggestions guys, thanks!
Old 08-25-2012, 21:14   #7
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Back yard rope climb

I'm curious if anyone has set up a rope climb for their back yard, whether permanent or temporary. I'm thinking of setting up something, not sure whether to just find a big tree, or dig a hole and plant a telephone pole-type setup.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote