Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 09-10-2004, 18:56   #1
JaY
Asset

Question Weighted Vest Training

I came across an article at http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...-0-286,00.html which sparked my interest and I came across some other articles about weight vest training after further searching.

http://faculty.washington.edu/crowth...strength.shtml

I was wondering if anyone has tried to train with a weighted vest or know anyone who has, and if so what are their thoughts on it. Personally it looks interesting and worth trying out despite its high cost. What are your opinions on training with this in preparation for SFAS? Not just for running but also pushups, situps, pullups, rope climbing, and possibly for rucking if a rucksack is not available. In regards to rucking, I would imagine it would help to prepare your legs and feet but not so much your lower back and shoulders since the weight will be balanced equally between the front and back of the vest. Thanks in advance for your time.

EDIT: Forgot to include the link to a manufacturer which seems to be the most reccomended/mentioned in articles I've came across. http://www.thexvest.com/

Last edited by JaY; 09-10-2004 at 19:01.
JaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 19:26   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

JaY:

Do a search for SFAS Prep.

Then you, and all of the rest of the get-overs who read this, quit trying to find an easy way and just PUT THE FUCKING HEAVY RUCK ON AND MOVE OUT!!! Follow the damn 5 week prep the recruiter will give you, unless you feel smarter than the rest of us.

If you make it to SFAS, you will be tested with a ruck. Last time I checked, we were not testing guys on any event with weighted vests.

On second thought, disregard what I just said. Do what you think is best. You may be satisfied by lying on the sofa watching reruns with a beer in one hand and the remote in another. Some appear to have used that technique before.

Have a very SF day.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 19:35   #3
JaY
Asset

I was looking for an alternative because I'm unable to get a frame shipped to my APO address in england due to the size. I thought of just using a backpack and filling it until it weighed enough, but then I came across this. They won't ship to an APO addess either, however I could have it sent home then sent to me in 20-30 pound sections. On a side note, I've never used/worn an ALICE ruckpack, are you able to disassemble the frame? Thanks.
Old 09-10-2004, 19:58   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaY
I was looking for an alternative because I'm unable to get a frame shipped to my APO address in england due to the size. I thought of just using a backpack and filling it until it weighed enough, but then I came across this. They won't ship to an APO addess either, however I could have it sent home then sent to me in 20-30 pound sections. On a side note, I've never used/worn an ALICE ruckpack, are you able to disassemble the frame? Thanks.
1. Do you know what the ALICE frame looks like? It weighs less than 5 lbs., and is not particularly bulky. You can ship a television, I can't imagine the frame is any larger.

2. What do you think an ALICE pack weighs empty? "20-30 pound sections"? The whole thing assembled is less than 10 pounds. Are buying an ALICE ruck and frame, or some fat chick named Alice?

3. Are there no Army units or Surplus stores in England? Scrounge or buy one locally.

4. If all else fails, buy a Bergen or whatever you can find, load it up, and step out smartly.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 09-10-2004, 20:06   #5
JaY
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
1. Do you know what the ALICE frame looks like? It weighs less than 5 lbs., and is not particularly bulky. You can ship a television, I can't imagine the frame is any larger.

2. What do you think an ALICE pack weighs empty? "20-30 pound sections"? The whole thing assembled is less than 10 pounds. Are buying an ALICE ruck and frame, or some fat chick named Alice?

3. Are there no Army units or Surplus stores in England? Scrounge or buy one locally.

4. If all else fails, buy a Bergen or whatever you can find, load it up, and step out smartly.

TR
1. Yes, I've seen the pictures :O I meant as far as the dimensions, not the weight. I will look into it further and ask the Post Office about the max size of a box coming in. I was unable to get a monitor shipped to me so based on that I figured the frame would be too large.

2. Haha, no need to import fat women... there are plenty already here. I meant the 20-30 pound sections of the vest, which appears to be a dumb/costly idea.

3. I'm sure there is, I'll have to search around and get a friend to take me to one if there is one not too far away.

4. Thanks for the tip about buying a Bergen, after googling it seems they have a soft frame and would be easy to ship.

My apologies for the first post, I should have gone into detail more about the situation so as not to seem like a lazy shmuck looking for a quick fix. Thanks for your help TR.
Old 09-10-2004, 20:29   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaY
1. Yes, I've seen the pictures :O I meant as far as the dimensions, not the weight. I will look into it further and ask the Post Office about the max size of a box coming in. I was unable to get a monitor shipped to me so based on that I figured the frame would be too large.

2. Haha, no need to import fat women... there are plenty already here. I meant the 20-30 pound sections of the vest, which appears to be a dumb/costly idea.

3. I'm sure there is, I'll have to search around and get a friend to take me to one if there is one not too far away.

4. Thanks for the tip about buying a Bergen, after googling it seems they have a soft frame and would be easy to ship.

My apologies for the first post, I should have gone into detail more about the situation so as not to seem like a lazy shmuck looking for a quick fix. Thanks for your help TR.
20"x12"x5", with straps and pad. Significantly smaller than a monitor.

If you order it with the pack, make sure they don't ship it filled.

Personally, I would be looking for the nearest Army installation, and head there with some cool AF gear.

TR

Old 09-10-2004, 20:36   #7
JaY
Asset

Quote:
Personally, I would be looking for the nearest Army installation, and head there with some cool AF gear.
TR
Hah, I'm not so sure how eager they'd be to trade a pack for my cool mouse pads with gel wrist supports or some nice cushy office chairs.
Old 09-10-2004, 20:38   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaY
Hah, I'm not so sure how eager they'd be to trade my cool mouse pads with gel wrist supports or some nice cushy office chairs.

Gear, not property, unless you want to be someone's date.

For example, if you were around here, and had a Gentex helmet shell to trade, we could probably work something out.

TR

Old 09-10-2004, 20:44   #9
JaY
Asset

Ahh thats what you mean by gear, well I certainly don't want to be someones date..unless SHE'S cute. **keeps his mouse pad and chair to himself**

Unfortunately I don't have any kind of gear like that
Old 09-10-2004, 20:45   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaY
Ahh thats what you mean by gear, well I certainly don't want to be someones date..unless SHE'S cute. **keeps his mouse pad and chair to himself**

Unfortunately I don't have any kind of gear like that
No coffee or booze?

Usually works on Supply Sergeants.

Cash as a last resort.

Warning: This may exceed your AF Skill Level.

Maybe you should stick to surplus or eBay.

TR

Old 09-10-2004, 20:52   #11
JaY
Asset

Quote:
No coffee or booze?

Usually works on Supply Sergeants.

Cash as a last resort.

Warning: This may exceed your AF Skill Level.

Maybe you should stick to surplus or eBay.

TR
I've got plenty of booze and coffee, I figured it would take more then that..those supply sgt's sure are easy. Hell, I'll even throw in a spare coffee maker that an old suitemate left behind.

Ahaha, when it comes to coffee my AF training is unmatched
Old 09-11-2004, 19:52   #12
Jgood
Quiet Professional

I have used my flank vest on a semi regular bases to help improve my run/push ups and sit ups but it is not a alternative to rucking or doing these events regularly. i use it to break up some of my other training works well with lunges and squats also.
There is only one tactical principal which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
Jgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 20:04   #13
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

JaY,
Go over to LF.com and ask around, there are all kinds of European dudes over there getting kit shipped. I think there are even some dealers.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 20:35   #14
Desert Fox
Guerrilla

Hi,
I'd like to post an observation I made about training...

I often do climbing, scuba, rucking, running, etc.. I thing I remarked: a person can be called 'fit', and still have very hard time doing things somebody else who looks less 'in shape' will do easily. That person is doing extensive weight training, with some running. Big arms...and at the middle of the walls, too tired to continue.
Another one, a classic: a running gazelle.And then only 40 pounds on the back, and few hours of admin rucking. His face was red!
That are just two examples among MANY others.
My conclusion is: to be good at something, just do THAT thing.You want to be good at climbing, climb.You want to be good at swimming...swim.You want to be good at ruckcking, well....just ruck. Birds dont do weight training just to fly in a better way, and monkey dont do heavy sets.
Squats, bicycle, and rucking are three different things. Your body will be good at what he is used at.
If you want to boost your training, do more, or put weights while swimming, or just try to do lenghs with scuba shoes, or just put one fin to simulate the lost of one; or just find big hills and ruck in it.Do 15 k in one way, wild terrain, so youll get no choice to do the 15 k back to the car. Wait the next big snowstorm, and put a big ruck. While rucking, do simple maths in your mind, 36+128, 87 x 2. Each dead tree you see is an enemy that requires a doubletap. Try to locate all deadtrees on your path. If you are walking in a hard terrain full of holes, keep a look around, because if the enemy is smart, he'll wait there, knowing EVERY team member is looking at his feet, careless and vulnerable to an ambush.

On my personal board I have 2 badges: US SF, and JTF-2 (Canadian SF, my goal). Each time I do training, I swear I will accomplish my objectives, unless I fall on the ground, passed out. If one day I fail, the badges will be turned around so I can't see the badges...until I accomplish my next objectives. Sometimes, just the though to turn around those badges keeped me going forward. 'At the end you will be happy', I repeat to myself. 'Pass the day and you golden', that's what they say?

Last edited by Desert Fox; 09-24-2004 at 20:51.
Desert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 21:29   #15
flyboy1
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Fox
Hi,
I'd like to post an observation I made about training...
My conclusion is: to be good at something, just do THAT thing.You want to be good at climbing, climb.You want to be good at swimming...swim.You want to be good at rucking, well....just ruck........say?

Well said. Swimming is a very good example, I thought I was in pretty good shape and could swim relatively well since I went scuba diving pretty regularly and was always very comfortable in the water and still run and bike for exercise.

Then I jumped into a pool and tried to do a "light beginner swimming workout", ~1200 meters (3/4 mile) for an alternate exercise to running and biking. (non-stop various strokes). I was sucking water ready to drown at ~450 meters. I am sure there are others here that have experienced the same.

I found my technique sucked and I was a flailing O2 robbing non-swimmer. A couple of researches on technique later and many hours in the pool solved that eventually.
flyboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote