Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 05-17-2011, 21:38   #1
Chuckarthy
Asset

Meyers Briggs and SOF

Hello Sirs,

Yesterday my parents sat me down and made me take a Meyers Briggs personality test in an attempt to "Help me find my path" because dislike my decision to join the military and are trying to find something else that I might be interested in. I had never heard of this type of test before so I started researching it a little bit and it struck me that this could possibly be used to categorize soldiers and as a potential screening tool for soldiers. One thing that I have been musing over for quite some time is that given the fact that there is such a wide variety of SOF in the Armed Forces what makes certain people choose to pursue a career in one over the other. Everyone has their own varying reasons for picking their career path i'm sure, however I began to wonder if different SOF were simply better fits for different personality types. So my question you is which personality types to you would seem to fit the different SOF such as Special Forces, Air force PJs, Seals, Rangers, and Combat Controllers.

Here is a list of the personality types scroll down and mouse over them to get a brief overview of each.

http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-p...e/mbti-basics/

I did some searching and came across this thread back from 2009. The overwhelming result from this seemed to point to SF guys being INTJ's.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...+briggs&page=2
Chuckarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:59   #2
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckarthy View Post
Hello Sirs,

Yesterday my parents sat me down and made me take a Meyers Briggs personality test in an attempt to "Help me find my path" because dislike my decision to join the military and are trying to find something else that I might be interested in. I had never heard of this type of test before so I started researching it a little bit and it struck me that this could possibly be used to categorize soldiers and as a potential screening tool for soldiers. One thing that I have been musing over for quite some time is that given the fact that there is such a wide variety of SOF in the Armed Forces what makes certain people choose to pursue a career in one over the other. Everyone has their own varying reasons for picking their career path i'm sure, however I began to wonder if different SOF were simply better fits for different personality types. So my question you is which personality types to you would seem to fit the different SOF such as Special Forces, Air force PJs, Seals, Rangers, and Combat Controllers.

Here is a list of the personality types scroll down and mouse over them to get a brief overview of each.

I did some searching and came across this thread back from 2009. The overwhelming result from this seemed to point to SF guys being INTJ's.

It's not always the test score, it's what your willing to do with what you have.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:12   #3
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

We have been taking that test and other similar tests for years. This is how I explained it to some regular Army senior NCOs awhile back. We (SF) want Soldiers that are twisted enough to do the job that is required of them...but not so twisted that we then have to explain their actions on the 6:00 news. It's a balancing act. For the most part we do well...occasionally one slips through and it's news at the national level.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:51   #4
JSMosby
Quiet Professional

Reminds me of that "we won't have any Crazy Harold running around" video.

NO MORE CRAZY HAROLD!!

Who is John Galt?

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
JSMosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:44   #5
Dozer523
BANNED USER

http://professionalsoldiers.com/foru...highlight=INTJ
If you ain't INTJ you ain't . . .
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:21   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Hello Sirs,

This should be the least of your worries.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:36   #7
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
....occasionally one slips through and it's news at the national level.
Or one -or more- slips thru who need to be on testosterone replacement therapy to get their nuts to drop...

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:26   #8
Chuckarthy
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
This should be the least of your worries.

TR
Im not worried about it at all. Simply more of a curiosity. What really peaked my interest on this was the fact that of my HS class of 49 guys we have two who are now post buds, one in the 75th, one going through the selection course in the near future, and one in PJ training. We all have very similar backgrounds yet for some reason we all chose different paths.
Chuckarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:43   #9
Richard
Quiet Professional

We often place too much emphasis on tests and testing. Try this one - it only has four questions and tells us whether or not you are qualified to be a "QP". The questions are not that difficult.

1. How do you put a giraffe into a refrigerator?
(Tests whether you tend to do simple things in an overly complicated way.)

2. How do you put an elephant into the refrigerator?
(Tests your ability to think through the repercussions of your actions.)

3. The Lion King is hosting an animal conference. All the animals attend except one. Which animal does not attend?
(Tests your memory.)

4. There is a river you must cross. But it is inhabited by crocodiles. How do you manage it?
(Tests whether you learn quickly from your mistakes.)

Good luck!

Richard

** Let me know when you want the answers.
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 13:02   #10
wildelectric
Asset

Last edited by wildelectric; 05-18-2011 at 14:17.
wildelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 13:09   #11
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildelectric View Post
1) It appears parenting techniques are a little different than when I came out of high school...
Apparently following simple instructions was not stressed.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...58&postcount=1

Quote:
This is a forum where civilians can "ask" the Special Forces soldiers past and present "Special Forces" related questions.

Those questions are then answered by Special Forces soldiers, period...
WE:

You should be picking up advice, not passing it out just yet.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 05-18-2011 at 13:13.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 13:17   #12
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
What really peaked my interest
This piques my interest...
Old 05-18-2011, 13:36   #13
Menschenschreck
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
We often place too much emphasis on tests and testing. Try this one - it only has four questions and tells us whether or not you are qualified to be a "QP". The questions are not that difficult.

3. The Lion King is hosting an animal conference. All the animals attend except one. Which animal does not attend?
(tests your memory.)

4. There is a river you must cross. But it is inhabited by crocodiles. How do you manage it?

Good luck!

Richard

** Let me know when you want the answers.
1. Open door, place giraffe in refrigerator, close door
2. Open door, remove giraffe, place elephant in refrigerator, close door
3. The elephant
4. Open door, remove elephant, place elephant in river, use refrigerator as raft
Menschenschreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 14:18   #14
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menschenschreck View Post
1. Open door, place giraffe in refrigerator, close door
2. Open door, remove giraffe, place elephant in refrigerator, close door
3. The elephant
4. Open door, remove elephant, place elephant in river, use refrigerator as raft
You scored a 75.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 14:26   #15
Dozer523
BANNED USER

1. Kill giraffe, butcher, wrap, stack neatly, close door.

2. Open door, cook and eat giraffe steaks. Kill elephant, butcher, wrap, stack neatly, close door.

(tests your memory.)
3. Me, I'm not going. The lion king will be pissed I ate all the giraffe

4. Manage by delegating . . . YOU can do it.

Last edited by Dozer523; 05-18-2011 at 14:31.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote