Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 09-01-2004, 23:10   #31
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

M'am,
(Knock on wood) the area I am in right now is relatively well protected. However, I will still take precautions. I do not want to be the first to be attacked for my stupidity or ignorance.

Thank you for your worry,

Solid
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 03:54   #32
alphamale

Quote:
Originally posted by Solid
the area I am in right now is relatively well protected. However, I will still take precautions.
re: areas

Solid, In some MMA's in the US, you can stay out of trouble by essentially "buying" your way out because you can afford to live where crime is low.

In other MMA's, crime has better feet for some reason.

re: precaution

I think the concept of precaution is highly overrated as a solution, IFF (if and only if) you are already a sentient being.

I used to take all sorts of precautions in how I lived because it seemed like the right thing to do, but it didn't end out making any difference. So I do a lot less of that now. If I want to go to the gym at 3am, I go at 3am. If I'm traveling, my travel person always books me in hotels that are located right on top of a major tourist areas that are very alive at night. Because no matter what time I arrive, the first thing I do is take a long walk, after:
1) Locking up my hard drive in the room safe since theft of corporate secrets is the highest risk thing during travel.
2) Re-confirming advice from my handler with the hotel staff on where to avoid.

I already have my knives on and travel wrench nearby at that point, because I do that in the airport bathroom before getting in the taxi. I would never have done that before. (take a long walk, alone, in a place I just traveled to) If I took more precautions, and didn't go out alone at night, I would have missed out on some incredible moments like hearing a group of high school kids singing in Piazza Navona in Rome at 1am, or checking out the strange looking rifles and uniforms of the Mariner military guarding a late-night Parliament session from those Italian politicians who love to debate.

So take in a Durham bulls baseball game http://www.durhambulls.com/ , the smell of cured tobacco leaves in downtown in the morning from the Liggett & Myers tobacco factory, and dinner at Sushi Blues (919) 664-8061, a really cool jazz-themed sushi place in a "nice area" and very close to the State Prison in Raleigh http://www.zspotlight.com/establishm...%20&EstID=8984

If you are using a rental car with Hertz NeverLost and driving there from Durham, it will definitively instruct you to go the wrong-way on a 1-way street near Glenwood Ave., so do keep your brain engaged .

FrontSight
Old 09-02-2004, 05:20   #33
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

FrontSight,
While I have utter respect for you, the weapons you design, and your choices, I do not see them as suitable for my own lifestyle.

It's in your face whenever you read about h2h on this site, from this thread to the 'does my technique work' to any of the other less recent ones- the word AVOIDFU, or a derivative, always pops up in some form.
Avoidfu, as I understand it, is another word for precaution. It is not a substitute for carrying a knife, a concealed firearm, or having bodyguards- it is the first line of defense.

Now watch me get taken this afternoon.

JMO, as I said- I respect you fully and your choices. This is just what I see as the alternate side of things.

Solid
Old 09-02-2004, 06:21   #34
alphamale

Solid, that's cool.

I don't think I'd expect many to agree with me on that.

It's all a matter of where you draw the line between what you are willing to do and and what you aren't. I didn't realize how severely I was drawing it before. It's like if you're a fish swimming in water, you are not aware of the water till suddenly you are on dry land.

FrontSight
Old 09-02-2004, 12:31   #35
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
Why are you going to be in Durham?
I think you need to come out of the closet. I've got all kinds of good advice for you, but I'm not giving it via PM!
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 14:09   #36
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
I never worked out with him. I just said he was a good dude, as in person. You take instruction at your own risk.
He had no preconcieved notions regarding his level of skill and ability. Which was why he ALSO carried a primary and secondary at all times.

To attest to his "good dudeness" I will share why he taught women for FREE-
He had (at one time) been contracted out to teach rape intervention to rape VICTIMS. He thought this approach a bit backwards...so he offered to teach all women for free. I thought that was mighty cool.

Wing Chun was Bruce Lee's original undertaking under Yip Man before his eventual development of Jeet Kun Do

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04

Last edited by Eagle5US; 09-02-2004 at 14:12.
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 15:47   #37
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

RL, I'm in a small community, so I'd rather do it over PM. PERSEC for tin-foil wearing kids like me.

JMO,

Solid

Last edited by Solid; 09-02-2004 at 15:53.
Old 09-02-2004, 17:53   #38
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
RL, I'm in a small community, so I'd rather do it over PM. PERSEC for tin-foil wearing kids like me.

JMO,

Solid
I will respect your misguided decision. No advice by PM, though.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 18:07   #39
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
FrontSight,
While I have utter respect for you, the weapons you design, and your choices, I do not see them as suitable for my own lifestyle.

It's in your face whenever you read about h2h on this site, from this thread to the 'does my technique work' to any of the other less recent ones- the word AVOIDFU, or a derivative, always pops up in some form.
Avoidfu, as I understand it, is another word for precaution. It is not a substitute for carrying a knife, a concealed firearm, or having bodyguards- it is the first line of defense.

Now watch me get taken this afternoon.

JMO, as I said- I respect you fully and your choices. This is just what I see as the alternate side of things.

Solid
Solid, here's the straight stuff- doing everything right and nothing wrong can still result in a bad situation. When it all goes wrong, ain't no such thing as too many tools to extract yourself or save your life. Avoidfu is always the first preference but sometimes it's just way too late for that. What are you going to do then? Your now conversing with people who know this.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 18:13   #40
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

Mr Harsey,
I am always the first to admit that when the time comes that my avoidfu skills fail me, I lack the skills to extricate myself from the situation. These courses will hopefully give me that ability to an extent.
My comment to FrontSight was more an observation that no matter how trained, how armed, and how ready a person, IMO in a fight there can be no guarantees that you are the one walking out of it and therefore that avoidance and prevention is a key concern.

JMO,

Solid
Old 09-02-2004, 18:16   #41
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Mr Harsey,
I am always the first to admit that when the time comes that my avoidfu skills fail me, I lack the skills to extricate myself from the situation. These courses will hopefully give me that ability to an extent.
My comment to FrontSight was more an observation that no matter how trained, how armed, and how ready a person, IMO in a fight there can be no guarantees that you are the one walking out of it and therefore that avoidance and prevention is a key concern.

JMO,

Solid
Solid, Without going into details let me share one observation made up close and personally by me. The good gunfighters I've known have died of old age.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 18:20   #42
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

Mr. Harsey,

I would never doubt that nor question you on that matter.

Solid
Old 09-02-2004, 19:35   #43
flyboy1
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
I regret to inform you that fine establishment closed and was demolished to build a Police Station in 1995.

Just thought you should know.

TR
TR
Is the flaming Mug still around? This was always a unique "training ground" that these boys could visit and use NDD's learning method.

Mike
flyboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 19:52   #44
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by flyboy1
TR
Is the flaming Mug still around? This was always a unique "training ground" that these boys could visit and use NDD's learning method.

Mike
Gone as well, though I do not remember when.

Used to get a lot of metal bands there, and Southern Rock bands like Molly Hatchet, .38 Special, and Marshall Tucker.

The Cellar burned down as well.

I will have to check, but I think the Blue Marble, the Shady Lady, and of course, the world famous Bottom's Up clubs are still here.

There are still plenty of places to test your training.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 20:06   #45
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Unhappy shiver....

The "Bottoms Up" had some of the saggiest mamms I think I have ever seen
One gal even drooped the thing into my "Old Milwalkee" draft by accident...not sure if it changed the flavor or not though

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote