Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 12-21-2007, 18:04   #46
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

I am going to Lock Out if I remember the name correctly. It combines hand to hand with live Fire on the Range. Basically how to handle the first few seconds of an Armed confrontation while your still Holstered. Its part of Soulis Shooting Systems.
I know the course is good because I know the People who thought up the concept. Every one of them survived one or more close up Gun Fights . But would like to know if anyone else heard of it, Its not very new.
Old 12-21-2007, 18:13   #47
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

[QUOTE=Pete; I'm still waiting for somebody to jump me, grab me, try and take me down or surround me.

Pete[/QUOTE]

Me too but I haven't found her yet.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 19:17   #48
CosaNostraUSMC
Guerrilla

Location: Sono qui adesso, con una lunga zampe mulatto ragazza.
I've been studying and practicing Judo for 20 years, and Ninjutsu for 13years, respectively.

In the 30 years that I've been on this earth, I've used the techniques numerous times in competition, with success. So, I know it works in competition.

In the last 15 years of my life now, I've used my skill, maybe 5 times, "off the mat". The other guy didn't have his way with me, so from that standpoint I'd say it works...to a certain degree.

If you're a lock/hold/submission guy, or a throw and counter ground person, fighting in the street is always going to be difficult when you go up against someone who throws things...i.e.; fists, bricks, sign posts.

This revelation has made me look at learning to throw my soup mixers, with a little more behind them. BUT...then I remembered, when you get older, most people in Cali are more likely to throw HPs at you.

Best bet for my age and AO = don't start nothin won't be nothin.

If push comes to shove, I can still dance.

Last edited by CosaNostraUSMC; 12-21-2007 at 19:19.
CosaNostraUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 15:54   #49
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

In my experience, the training and reality were quite different.

My primary training was in Chito-ryu, though I dabbled a little in some informal Muay Thai, Wing chun and some others.
Most of the time was spent with me and my instructor (or with whomever I could find to spar) beating the snot out of each other sans headgear.

After dealing with the effects of what were probably serial low-grade concussions, I would recommend the regular use of headgear.

For the better part of 3 1/2 years, I worked security in a violent nightclub in western Colorado.
There were more conflicts than I care to remember; here is what I learned concerning the training versus reality.

I'll start with the 2 most important things:
1. Numbers. Whoever has (effectively) the most people on their side usually wins.
2. Situational awareness. Attacking the other person when they're unaware (however momentary) works best. Be aware and you won't be an easy target.

All of our staff had different self-defense backgrounds, different body types, and different levels of fitness, but everyone eventually used the same basic technique:
-We would keep enough distance from a potential threat (or threats) to prevent a sucker-punch.
-Once action was warranted, we would close range as quickly as possible, secure some sort of upper-body control, and immediately throw or sweep.
-From there, we would address the next threat or achieve dominance over the downed threat through numbers.
(as a practical matter, kicking a downed threat is quite effective, in case you lack numerical advantage)
-We would avoid going to the ground ourselves unless we had a buddy specifically watching our back.
It would probably be best described as Greco-Roman wrestling with tripping allowed.

The various forms of training we had mainly contributed to not getting hurt while closing range.
I have to emphasize there is a difference between "not getting hurt" and "not getting hit".

Arguably the best training any of us had was athletic rather than martial, specifically football and basketball.
The reason for this can be summed up in one word: balance.
I'm not sure of the reason, but people demonstrate awful balance when under stress.

I'm sure any of us could have used the various forms of self-defense in which we had been formally trained, but it would have been time-consuming.
Fractions of a second matter in close-quarters.
When someone is taken off of their feet, they are (relatively and temporarily at least) fixed in space.
This allows movement of your friends to you, you to your friends, or you to/from other threats.
Such movement effectively gives you the ability to outnumber the idiots (our term for "enemy").

Something else that merits mention is an idea best described as "initiative".
All of us went through roughly the same developmental process.
For the first half-dozen to dozen chaotic brawls, everything seems to happen very fast.
It's exciting/frightening, everything is reflex (no concious decision-making), and you have trouble remembering details afterwards.
Somewhere towards the end of that first dozen, some dramatic changes happen:
-Everything seems to slow down.
-Emotions are generally absent.
-You gain the ability to make concious decisions.
-Afterwards, you can remember details.
(and afterwards the emotions show up--usually anger/frustration at first...after enough events it's sorrow/pity)

The advantage this "initiative" gave cannot be overstated.
However, no amount of previous training gave any of our staff a pass on this developmental process.
Experience was the only teacher.

A few other things I learned:

Techniques are overrated.
Athleticism is underrated.
SA is your best defense, your body will protect itself automatically from a known threat.
Morale is very important. When there's no referee and you can't tap-out, people are often indecisive.

Keep your feet:
-Once on the ground, you lose mobility and SA.
-While down, your head starts to bear a strong resemblance to a soccerball.
-The real world is often not one-on-one. Keep your options open.

Keep your cool:
-"Raging" will intimidate the lesser threats. It will not intimidate a real threat.
-"Raging" will cause tunnel-vision. The threat you don't see is the one that will hurt you.

Keep your distance:
-If you are not actively engaging, make sure you have time to react.

Decisiveness:
-If delaying conflict will improve your situation, delay.
-If delaying conflict will degrade your situation, act immediately.

Force escalation:
-If you are going to engage in violence, be as violent as possible.
-Do not gradually escalate your offensive actions. It is an either/or proposition.
-De-escalate as necessary after you have achieved dominance.

Real world conflicts rarely happen in padded environments.
-Immobile objects (like the ground, doorframes, parked cars) make excellent improvised weapons.
-It's better to break your opponent on an object than break yourself on your opponent.

FWIW, there it is.
I hope it helps somebody.

<edit>

How do I know my self defense will work?
Everything I've experienced leads to one conclusion:
I don't know.

I do know that I will act.
Hopefully those actions will be sufficient.
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)

Last edited by GratefulCitizen; 12-24-2007 at 00:48. Reason: address original question
GratefulCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 16:42   #50
CosaNostraUSMC
Guerrilla

Location: Sono qui adesso, con una lunga zampe mulatto ragazza.
I try not to get dirty these days.

Last edited by CosaNostraUSMC; 12-24-2007 at 16:46.
CosaNostraUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 17:08   #51
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Don't mess with an old man. If he's too old to fight he'll just kill you.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 00:35   #52
Dante
Asset

I practice Brazilian jiu jitsu and I know it works because it has saved my ass in a real fight. Really in my opinion the main difference between the gym and the street is rough, hard surfaces and a guy trying to bash your face in. As long as the person trying to use jiu jitsu isn't a pussy he should be able to take a few hits so he can break a limb/choke the guy out. I have decent striking but I find that from high school wrestling and jiu jitsu I don't need great striking because both forms instinctively make me get a dominant position. I've turned a couple of fights around simply by using something as elementary as the guard position and sweeping the guy when he started to pound my head in and get over confident. I don't think that BJJ is the most effective style though, in my opinion wrestling is the most effective because everything in wrestling is about position and that is usually what wins the fight. If there's one thing I regret it's starting wrestling as a junior and not wrestling my entire time in high school. As far as self defense jiu jitsu is pretty effective in my experience. Regardless of styles being effective I agree with what tf999 was saying because you still need to have a set of balls to kick someones ass.
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 02:27   #53
Arwr
Asset

I use Aikido eye combat. When I first started I practised on goats, but it is so dangerous, I only use it for personal protection. It is done by projecting ki from the eyes. The nice thing about it is you never even need to touch anybody. I would really like to learn a healing aspect to it. It would really help with the guilt I am burdened with for accidentally causing a homeless man to develop a drinking problem. This stuff is wicked powerful.

Arwr
Arwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 23:45   #54
Defion69
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vale Tudo View Post
Not trying to start a pissing contest:

I train five days a week, four to six hours a day (I'm a pro). I'm confident it works because I've used it in the ring and in the cage. For "real world" situations, nothing but a few scraps in high school and one or two clashes on the street. Escapes all situations unscathed.. guess it works.

But I'll defer to QRQ 30, I think he put it best.
Spoken like a true professional...trains hard, proven in the ring and yet humbly adds "not trying to start a pissing contest".

As for other threads such as the Tai Chi, Jui Jitsu, etc. My personal and humble opinion is that mixture is always good. I found it odd that the quesion of why an operator would choose to practice Tai Chi.....for one it is a truly relaxing art but an operator does not limit himself to one art, discipline or ideal. An operator opens his mind and learns everything he can to make himself a better operator at every level...not just fighting skills either.

Limit your brain and you limit your reach.
Defion69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 00:44   #55
mdb23
Guerrilla

I wrestled my entire life, and boxed when I was younger.... I always thought that combo served me well. Now I do MMA (not as a pro, just training), which I find to be a comfortable match for me.

I will say this though, in a street fight, I would be hesitant to go to the ground with anyone unless I had to. Not because I am uncomfortable with my ground skills, rather because very few fights in this day and age are truly "one on one." They may start out that way, but most of the fights that I respond to involve the losing party's buddies jumping in once they saw him start to lose. Knowing the probability that my opponents "buds" are going to take a cheap shot at me if I start to win, or are going to jump in 2 or 3 at a time, I prefer to stay on my feet if I can.
mdb23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 00:16   #56
sofmed
Guerrilla

Great thread. Glad to see so many opinions in one place. I, personally, in 28 years in the world of MA and combatives have only had two situations where physical force was warranted. They are both regrettable. The older I get the less I want to test my skills for real. I would rather attempt to pass on some of the wisdom I have gleaned in nearly forty years on this wonderful blue marble. That's why I teach now. And a great deal more goes into my classes than just the fighting part.

Don't get me wrong, I'm completely understanding and wired for VOA. Simply put, destroy your adversary. Sort out the rest after the dust settles, so to speak. Nearly any fighting system will do, as long as the right, violent mindset goes with it. Guess the medic in me keeps me balanced these days however...that and the right woman at home.

Looking forward to more from here. Thanks, guys.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
sofmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:24   #57
runhard
Asset

I train in MMA, and it has paid off a few times...

I'm 6'3, 235lbs. and I have to watch my temper most of the time. But watching it goes right out the door when someone messes with the wife or a loved one...

Soon after moving to Omaha, NE., the wife and I were at a gas station. The wife wanted to run in and get something quickly before we headed out houses hunting. Well, there were three Mexicans getting out of their van and approaching the store entrance when my wife walked out. They made some remarks to her, and one attempted to make a grab at her...Well, needless to say, I was out of the car, and confronting him. We said about two words before he did the, "I'm gong to act like I'm going to puch you to see if you will flinch..."thing. No flinching here. As soon as he made the quick gesture of striking, I went full force, fist to his chin, putting him on the ground and into some type of convulsions...I then got ready to be jumped by his buddies, but they were to busy watching their friend spasm on the ground.

So yeah, MMA(Kickboxing, grappling, jui jitsu) has paid off.
runhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 14:26   #58
The reason we don't allow children
BANNED USER

Cool Kickboxing got me suspended but it worked

I was being harrased by some jerk at my school for a couple of weeks. Needless to say, I stood up for myself and he threatened me but left me alone. Later that day I was in the restroom and I walk into him and his buddies. He said "Look at this bitch" started walking towards me with his fist clenched, I knew he was going to hit me so as he approached I did a spinning back kick to his stomach, I went A little high and fractured his rib. After that I ran out of the bathroom in fear his buds were going to beat me up and just my luck a dean watched me as I sprinted out and asked me what was going on. He investigated that bathroom and saw the guy laying on the floor cursing and pissed. After he went to the hospital the dean called my parents let them know what happened, But they were furious I was getting in trouble for defending myself but since it's a zero tolerance policy, I got 3 days of Out of school suspension, which was vacation for me since my parents knew I was getting bullied by this jerk and 3 days of In school suspension which was calming because I ended up finishing the book "Masters of Chaos."

I eventually moved to a new school because of my parents selling the house and I love where i'm at in North Carolina.
The reason we don't allow children is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 14:40   #59
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koreantryhard View Post
I was being harrased by some jerk at my school for a couple of weeks. Needless to say, I stood up for myself and he threatened me but left me alone. Later that day I was in the restroom and I walk into him and his buddies. He said "Look at this bitch" started walking towards me with his fist clenched, I knew he was going to hit me so as he approached I did a spinning back kick to his stomach, I went A little high and fractured his rib. After that I ran out of the bathroom in fear his buds were going to beat me up and just my luck a dean watched me as I sprinted out and asked me what was going on. He investigated that bathroom and saw the guy laying on the floor cursing and pissed. After he went to the hospital the dean called my parents let them know what happened, But they were furious I was getting in trouble for defending myself but since it's a zero tolerance policy, I got 3 days of Out of school suspension, which was vacation for me since my parents knew I was getting bullied by this jerk and 3 days of In school suspension which was calming because I ended up finishing the book "Masters of Chaos."

I eventually moved to a new school because of my parents selling the house and I love where i'm at in North Carolina.
lolol Made my week, Chuck!
Old 04-18-2013, 21:38   #60
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Location: You can't get here from there; you have to go someplace else first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior-Mentor View Post
Ron Donvito teaches "There are no rules. Just be prepared to receive what you dish out. Eye Pokes and biting may give you an advantage in the short run...just be prepared for your opponent to learn quickly and use them right back at you."

When in doubt...round-house kick to the FACE!

...that's what Chuck Norris would do.

JM
I started studying Isshin Ryu karate shortly after I graduated the police academy in 1976. My sensei, a seichi dan, was the defensive tactics instructor there ... and remains my sensei to this day.

I've survived several notable brawls during my career: 4 to 1 and 16 to 2, which I was the winner (they went to hospital and then to jail) and a large number of mano a mano encounters (it was a 32 year career). All my fights were extremely short, lasting well under a minute. As I told my officer's in training, "you don't get paid to lose -- there is no referee." Consequently, I've broken bones and drawn some blood. Most of the time I owed my success to situational awareness ... I knew what was coming and used any and every tool whether it be open hand, snap kick, pr-24 (tongfa), or asp baton to win. But not every one ... in the 16 to 2 fight I would have had my ass kicked if a town marshal (a former marine) had not covered my six so I could take care of business.

And sometimes the other guy just got lucky. I was blindsided by an inmate (he was awaiting trial for attempt murder of a city police officer) in a cell block who hit me from the side with a metal fragment he broke off a pail. Fractured my left lower orbit and knocked me to the ground. What he didn't expect was that I would get up with my face half hanging and crowd him down into a corner so I could kick him to death. Unfortunately for me, other officers arrived and surrounded us both so I couldn't finish the job since he was "bought and paid for."

My rule is always win. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line so I'm not normally going to kick above the belt and I'll usually go for the knee caps first. It makes my opponent much shorter and easier to finish off.

If that's cruel and unusual, too bad ....

Don't know where I'm goin', but there's no use in bein' late.
I've never been lost. I've been a mite confused at times, but never lost.
I'm not lost! I know where I am; I just don't know where everybody else is.

Last edited by UWOA (RIP); 04-18-2013 at 21:49.
UWOA (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote