Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 02-04-2011, 21:59   #16
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
If you make it as an 18A, never forget that you are in your slot as a guest of the Team.
we were mascots. (not even funny)
Our job was to "get out of the way". (not even funny)
Our other job was to "take the blame". (true but, not even funny)

Dusty . . . this summer we're going out on the boat. I'm going to drink you under the table, and then push you over board!

Often times the Detachment Commander is there to "tap the tiller' and maintain the course. . . nudge the throttle a tad . . . and sometimes drop an anchor. (And young man, when that needs to happen you better be able to do it.)

We're like control rods in nuclear reactors.

Oh yeah. NEVER FORGET! The Detachment Commander is responsible for everything that happens or fails to happen on the team.

Last edited by Dozer523; 02-04-2011 at 22:03.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 22:08   #17
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
My lifelong goal has been to become an 18A officer. I've recently graduated from college with a 3.2 and a double major. I've studied abroad multiple times and speak French fluently. I'm qualified to be an officer.
So I guess none of the universities were offering ROTC. I find it strange that a person who has a lifelong ambition to be an army officer would have graduated without a commission.

Me and all three of my brothers went through ROTC. It seems like the most probable route a person would go through if one had a life long ambition. The two of us who wished for it, served on ODAs. Strange how that worked out for us by simply signing up for ROTC as a freshman. Of course we didn't go dicking off all over Europe studying abroad, we just buckled down and got our degrees and commission.

SFA M-9545
Buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 22:11   #18
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
We're like control rods in nuclear reactors.
Yep.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 22:17   #19
wet dog

He'll figure it out.....
Old 02-04-2011, 23:33   #20
alright4u
Quiet Professional

One Step at A Time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
You aren't going to become eligible to try out for an 18A position for a while, and I am tired of hearing people who have not even been commissioned yet planning on it.

If you get a commission, and do an exceptional job, you MIGHT get a shot.

Otherwise, the question is moot and has been asked before. Search for some variant of SF officer versus enlisted.

How bad do you want it? Badly enough to do your homework?

TR
If you are not ROTC, you will have to enlist. Concentrate on BCT.
alright4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 23:39   #21
alright4u
Quiet Professional

TRUE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
So I guess none of the universities were offering ROTC. I find it strange that a person who has a lifelong ambition to be an army officer would have graduated without a commission.

Me and all three of my brothers went through ROTC. It seems like the most probable route a person would go through if one had a life long ambition. The two of us who wished for it, served on ODAs. Strange how that worked out for us by simply signing up for ROTC as a freshman. Of course we didn't go dicking off all over Europe studying abroad, we just buckled down and got our degrees and commission.
You men did it the way people who have a realistic dream also make a realistic plan and follow it to reach their goal.
Old 02-04-2011, 23:58   #22
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by alright4u View Post
You men did it the way people who have a realistic dream also make a realistic plan and follow it to reach their goal.
It's all that officer stuff they teach, "Have a plan to follow a plan, just in the event the first plan doesn't work plan."
Old 02-05-2011, 01:48   #23
alright4u
Quiet Professional

LMAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet dog View Post
It's all that officer stuff they teach, "Have a plan to follow a plan, just in the event the first plan doesn't work plan."
I went in as a PVT E1. BCT, AIT, OCS, ABN, etc. No plan. My dream was not being an officer. It was not the Army. It was a pro baseball player. Then lawyer.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:58   #24
uplink5
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by alright4u View Post
I went in as a PVT E1. BCT, AIT, OCS, ABN, etc. No plan. My dream was not being an officer. It was not the Army. It was a pro baseball player. Then lawyer.
Funny how things have a way of turning out. Ultimately,as long as we don't have any regrets then we're doing well.

I have two regrets.....letting that little girl get away, and selling the 67 GTO. The GTO hurts the most....

Thomas Jefferson

"The scene changes but the aspirations of men of good will persist."

Vannevar Bush
uplink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:20   #25
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplink5 View Post
....and selling the 67 GTO. The GTO hurts the most....
Little brother, since you retire real soon, a gift.

I've got (2) barracudas, put them together, you could have one real nice car, or how about a 56 pro-street? Better yet, a 38 Dodge!

All need work, but all would make a real nice ride.

All you have to do is,...

well, let's talk.

-------- BT

alright4u - pro ball would have paid better than SF, but SF was much more rewarding, agreed?

Last edited by wet dog; 02-05-2011 at 03:25.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:44   #26
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523;374073Oh yeah. NEVER FORGET! [COLOR="Yellow"
The Detachment Commander is responsible for everything that happens or fails to happen on the team.
In all seriousness, I personally witnessed more than one case in which the decision made by the Team Leader prevented big scratch that HUGE trouble for everybody else on the detachment.

An ODA can't operate without a frontal lobe.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:05   #27
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
In all seriousness, I personally witnessed more than one case in which the decision made by the Team Leader prevented big scratch that HUGE trouble for everybody else on the detachment.

An ODA can't operate without a frontal lobe.
Dusty,

You know I never realized the many SF officers that came in as PVT 2,remarkable.....

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:52   #28
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

I think our young jedi's basic problem is this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carthorse.jpg (106.4 KB, 299 views)
Old 02-05-2011, 14:43   #29
oksooner
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post

just throwing it out there, some universities require studying abroad for certain majors.
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more.....

"The true science of martial arts means practicing them in such a way that they will be useful at any time, and to teach them in such a way that they will be useful in all things." Miyamoto Musashi
oksooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 13:30   #30
czechsix
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by oksooner View Post
just throwing it out there, some universities require studying abroad for certain majors.
Correct. I am an International Business major with minors in German and Military Science and my degree required me to study abroad in a German speaking country. I just got back from Austria in December. That being said, I had to cut through a lot of red tape but my program approved me to go (even paid for my plane ticket) and I am commissioning as an 11A this May. It is definitely possible to squeeze a semester abroad in there.

Last edited by czechsix; 02-09-2011 at 15:54.
czechsix is offline   Reply With Quote