Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 02-03-2011, 14:47   #1
MG*
Asset

Dealing with a recruiter - Becoming an 18A

Good afternoon,

I've been a member of this site for quite some time and have searched the forums for an answer to my question, though I haven't found it. Though it may sound rather generic, it's subtle in its uniqueness.

I'm currently dealing with a recruiter. My lifelong goal has been to become an 18A officer. I've recently graduated from college with a 3.2 and a double major. I've studied abroad multiple times and speak French fluently. I'm qualified to be an officer.

From my own research, I've learned that to become an 18A, one's best shot is to become an infantry officer and subsequently put in a packet for SFAS.

I've been told this is false and that I don't stand a chance.

My recruiter tells me that most people without 3.5 as a GPA aren't getting accepted, and that I wouldn't have a shot, with 95% certainty. He tells me that my best chance is to go in enlisted as an 18xray, do my time, and then put in a packet for OCS once I've made it to an ODA. He says the majority of 18As were once enlisted men.

I don't know if he's being honest or not, or if his suggested route is the best one.

I'd prefer to be an officer first. I know I'm qualified and I trust and believe in myself.

Should I find another recruiter, is he being honest with me regarding my OCS chances, and is his recommended path to becoming an 18A truly the best one?

Thanks, I appreciate it.

-Jim
MG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 15:00   #2
Richard
Quiet Professional

I have my own opinions on it...but I'd ask these guys if I was you.

http://www.bragg.army.mil/sorb/

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 15:00   #3
Deadhead 63A1
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG* View Post
He says the majority of 18As were once enlisted men.
He is dead wrong and apparently either has no idea what he's talking about on this point or is blowing smoke up your ass.
Deadhead 63A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 15:03   #4
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Short answer...he's trying to fill his enlisted numbers and not his officer numbers.

Long answer...there are many paths to becoming an SF Soldier, whether enlisted or officer. However, in my not so humble opinion if you want to be an 18A, I think you would be best served by doing your time first as a combat arms officer. Infantry, Artillery, Armor,...did I mention Infantry?

If you enlist, whether as an 18X or underwater messkit repairmen, you will do your time in Basic, AIT, Jumpschool, etc. Time in your unit, then apply to OCS, then go to OCS if selected, then you'll be a 2LT in the regular Army, Infantry, Artillery, Armor, Finance, Messkit Repair whatever (I did say Infantry...right?) and once you've done your time there you can put in a packet for SFAS.

Here's what your recruiter may not be telling you...Officers get one...maybe two chances to make it through.

Good luck to you.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 15:04   #5
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

See this is what happens when I'm getting long winded...everyone else jumps in line.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 15:12   #6
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
See this is what happens when I'm getting long winded...everyone else jumps in line.
Blah...blah...blah...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 16:33   #7
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
I think you forgot to mention the bit about Infantry..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 17:18   #8
MG*
Asset

...Infantry? Never heard of that...does it involve saving babies when they waywardly climb up trees? Because that sounds like a sexy job that the ladies would definitely be into.

My recruiter definitely smells like a herring, I'd been suspicious of his motives and experience.

I'll get in contact with SORB and gather further information and resolve the issue on my own, be it finding a new recruiter or speaking with my current recruiter's CO.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated, I hope to one day see you out there after I finish my time as a renaissance messkit-repair-infantryman.

-Jim
Old 02-03-2011, 17:21   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

You aren't going to become eligible to try out for an 18A position for a while, and I am tired of hearing people who have not even been commissioned yet planning on it.

If you get a commission, and do an exceptional job, you MIGHT get a shot.

Otherwise, the question is moot and has been asked before. Search for some variant of SF officer versus enlisted.

How bad do you want it? Badly enough to do your homework?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 17:31   #10
MG*
Asset

I want it more than anything, and I know I'll get where I want to be if I keep my mind on my task and never hesitate. I also know that if I don't take my best shot, I'll miss, so I intend to plan my move before I act.

There are many ways to do homework. I have done mine, and have read books on SF and forum posts, but the only way for me to find out the current state of affairs was to directly ask those who are the most knowledgeable.

Thanks again.

-Jim
Old 02-03-2011, 22:29   #11
CSB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Here's what your recruiter may not be telling you...Officers get one...maybe two chances to make it through.
Quote:
If you get a commission, and do an exceptional job, you MIGHT get a shot.
A very unscientific comparison with published statistics and knowledge of T.O.E.:

More men have stood on top of Mount Everest than have ever commanded a Special Forces Operational Detachment Alpha for three or more years.

To be entrusted with the command of a Special Forces A Team is much like being selected to be a member of the Blue Angels, or the Golden Knights. It is a once in a lifetime achievement. Many are called and few are chosen. Actual command time is limited, and variations in the great Mandela of Life and Mother Army sometimes means that men with excellent qualifications and desire are non-selected.

Any member of this board ... or any recruiter ... who says "do this, and do that ... and you will be selected at SFAS, complete the Q course to be awarded MOS 18A, and be in command of an A Team," IS LYING TO YOU.

If you seek Special Forces, you must embark on a lifetime of service to your country and to the United States Army. You may seek, but you might not find what you desire. It is your honest, diligent service that is required of you. It may be that your path leads to a Q course and a Green Beret, but your path may lead elsewhere, through no fault of your own. Your service is needed, and if you have the ability please give your country your best efforts in any position for which you are qualified.
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 13:36   #12
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG* View Post
...My lifelong goal has been to become an 18A officer. I've recently graduated from college with a 3.2 and a double major. I've studied abroad multiple times and speak French fluently. I'm qualified to be an officer.

-Jim
Not Yet. You may be eligable to be an officer, as almost everyone on an ODA is also, but you're not there yet.

Jim - I wasn't going to chime in, given these are Officer questions, better answered by officers. The fact is, I'm not an officer and neither are you, but since my SF NCO brothers have already begun, I'll throw in my $0.02

"What is it you want to do?" Don't answer that, you already have. I'm just digging a little deeper, for if you are going to lead one of my beloved ODAs, I feel I have a few qualifications that allows me to know a potential SF officer when I see him.

Get in the officer ranks by best means possible, or just sign up enlisted. You might find yourself in the 82nd, a Ranger Batt., or the Old Guard Arlington National Cemetery.

Here is a little secret, so be sure not to tell anyone, this is just between you and I. Us NCO types are known to get things done, in fact, it's well known that we take care of our officers too. All you have to do, is serve, serve well, do well in all assignments.

We will find you. Now make the decision to apply for OCS or enlist, be decisive, but make it quick.
Old 02-04-2011, 13:41   #13
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

If you make it as an 18A, never forget that you are in your slot as a guest of the Team.
Old 02-04-2011, 13:42   #14
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
If you make it as an 18A, never forget that you are in your slot as a guest of the Team.
Dusty, that's just cold, (knuckle bump)! How are you these days?
Old 02-04-2011, 13:58   #15
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet dog View Post
Dusty, that's just cold, (knuckle bump)! How are you these days?
Cold, Bro. And it's snowing again. The Caribou are moving in.