Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 12-07-2010, 23:34   #16
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Last edited by ZonieDiver; 12-08-2010 at 12:13. Reason: deleted due to ...
ZonieDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 17:20   #17
mils
SF Candidate

Regiment molds young killing machines one fire team at a time.

A smart ranger will make a great soldier in almost any environment, sf included. I love the upbringing I've had in the army, and have done well with what I've been given, but wish I started out as a PFC in Regiment as opposed to anywhere else.

And yes, I agree Ranger school will give a good concept of patrolling, small unit direct leadership, and lots of scenario based--don't let the notional fairy bolo your patrol--mdmp choices that'll make you begin to think like a qp, on the fly, no matter what your rank is, so make the most of it, and you'll learn a ton in addition to getting a tab.

--D.H. Lawrence
mils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 18:45   #18
Green Light
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mils View Post
Regiment molds young killing machines one fire team at a time.

A smart ranger will make a great soldier in almost any environment, sf included. I love the upbringing I've had in the army, and have done well with what I've been given, but wish I started out as a PFC in Regiment as opposed to anywhere else.

And yes, I agree Ranger school will give a good concept of patrolling, small unit direct leadership, and lots of scenario based--don't let the notional fairy bolo your patrol--mdmp choices that'll make you begin to think like a qp, on the fly, no matter what your rank is, so make the most of it, and you'll learn a ton in addition to getting a tab.
Subliminal message here? I noticed that you capitalize Regiment (I assume 75th Infantry) and leave SF lower case. The shift key is next to your right pinky.

"If it neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket, what difference does it make to me?"
TJ
Green Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 19:33   #19
mils
SF Candidate

Not at all. Its been a minute since I've had a little corrective training.

I hold both Regiments in high regard.

--D.H. Lawrence
mils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 19:57   #20
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mils View Post
...A smart ranger will make a great soldier in almost any environment, sf included...
Not true in the least bit. I have known/know quite a few smart Rangers (my father one of them) who didn't/doesn't belong anywhere near the missions which set SF apart from the remainder of SOF.

It takes a different mindset to be a good SF soldier.

"The conduct of unconventional warfare carries heavier demands than the wearing of a beret and the mastery of unusual firearms. Unconventional warfare is a state of mind as well as mission and distinctive set of tactics." -Col.(ret) Hy Rothstein

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 12-08-2010 at 20:16.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 20:06   #21
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I hold both Regiments in high regard...A smart ranger will make a great soldier in almost any environment, sf included.
Perhaps you think that way because you appear to have served in neither of them yet want to offer an 'informed' opinion on both.

Cric is correct IMO.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 16:31   #22
ODA CDR (RET)
Quiet Professional

I beg to differ

The Ranger Tab as well as the EIB and Jumpmaster is required if you would like to make a career of Special Forces. Let me be the first to tell you that you will not be promoted to a rank of being in charge of troops without them. Of course there is the exception of the few superstars, but then you have to ask yourself if you are a superstar. The earlier in your career you get them, the easier life will be.
USA Ranger Assoc. Life member #LRR4625
DAV Life Member Chapter #46
"The 1000"
ODA CDR (RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 17:33   #23
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Can a lackluster soldier make a good Special Forces guy?

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 17:44   #24
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
Can a lackluster soldier make a good Special Forces guy?
Ooh! Ooh! I was! I was!
Old 12-09-2010, 17:51   #25
wet dog

I've known many Rangers, who did not do well in SF. Seems they were, well, more regimented. They really liked the light-infantry better and returned to have excellent careers back in Batt. They got the SF tab, but never called themselves "SF". They were rangers, always were, always will be. Having the SF tab for them helped and hurt their ranger careers. One was passed over in becoming a 1st SGT in Bn because he had a SF MOS, some thought he would leave again. So he left 1/75th, headed to Hawaii, (25th Inf.), made E8, retired.

Excellent soldiers nonetheless. I know three rangers in 2/75, now, who wish they could get away from the CAG support role, and become a light infantry unit again. They are Sr. NCOs and hate what has become of Bn.

Many have been promoted to Co, Bn, or Grp SGM without a Ranger Tab. Many have been promoted to Co, Bn or Grp Cdr without a Ranger Tab. Many a retired Ranger have run for politcal office and failed to be elected. Many a ranger and special forces soldier has had difficulty with retirement because they have failed to adjust and overcome.

Last edited by wet dog; 12-09-2010 at 17:59.
Old 12-09-2010, 17:52   #26
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Ooh! Ooh! I was! I was!
There were some of us who didn't really want to be Rangers. (The absence of pink is deliberate.) Making Ranger a pre-qualification for SF, IMO, will deny SF many good Soldiers. "Ranger" as a pre-requisite is going to change the "cut of cloth" to looking pretty Ranger-plaid.

Last edited by Dozer523; 12-09-2010 at 17:57.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 17:56   #27
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
There were some of us who didn't really want to be Rangers.

Or Jumpmasters.
Old 12-09-2010, 18:02   #28
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Or Jumpmasters.
Did Too. Not my fault Bill J is R/G color blind.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 18:04   #29
wet dog

Bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet dog View Post
I've known many Rangers, who did not do well in SF. Seems they were, well, more regimented. They really liked the light-infantry better and returned to have excellent careers back in Batt. They got the SF tab, but never called themselves "SF". They were rangers, always were, always will be. Having the SF tab for them helped and hurt their ranger careers. One was passed over in becoming a 1st SGT in Bn because he had a SF MOS, some thought he would leave again. So he left 1/75th, headed to Hawaii, (25th Inf.), made E8, retired.

Excellent soldiers nonetheless. I know three rangers in 2/75, now, who wish they could get away from the CAG support role, and become a light infantry unit again. They are Sr. NCOs and hate what has become of Bn.

Many have been promoted to Co, Bn, or Grp SGM without a Ranger Tab. Many have been promoted to Co, Bn or Grp Cdr without a Ranger Tab. Many a retired Ranger have run for politcal office and failed to be elected. Many a ranger and special forces soldier has had difficulty with retirement because they have failed to adjust and overcome.
I never looked good with a High and Tight. I was much more effective wearing a welding jacket, long hair, hands in pockets, drinking coffee.

I lacked a certain luster myself.
Old 12-09-2010, 18:11   #30
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
Did Too. Not my fault Bill J is R/G color blind.