Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 10-19-2010, 16:15   #16
Backwoods
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
I meant the Steve Austin bio-mechanically re-built Six Million Dollar Man,, not on steroids..
I got an email from a former TM SGT who shall remain nameless (Mr. Furious) who asked if I was kidding about not knowing Steve Austin (pilot/bio-guy type not wrestler).....Eddy me kid around.....never.
The conduct of unconventional warfare carries heavier demands than the wearing of a beret and the mastery of unusual firearms. Unconventional warfare is a state of mind as well as mission and distinctive set of tactics. -Col.(ret) Hy Rothstein

"Those that would sacrifice a little liberty for security deserve neither liberty nor security." -Ben Franklin

Go gcreime cúnna ifrinn do bhall fearga!

Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat.

Johnny
Backwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 17:05   #17
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post
I got an email from a former TM SGT who shall remain nameless (Mr. Furious) who asked if I was kidding about not knowing Steve Austin (pilot/bio-guy type not wrestler).....Eddy me kid around.....never.
U's guys need a beer..

Or several..

Put the next round on my tab...

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 18:19   #18
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
I knew that JJ, but was afraid some of the younger ones didn't!

By the way, here are 7 "Special Forces physiques" - 1971 vintage...

Edit: To answer Big T's question - I am the one in the tee shirt, kneeling.
11B/C course - just after New Year's, '71. We called ourselves "The Magnificent Seven"!
(Yes, we were full of it!) But the only guy with a "big" physique was J. Gehres, with his head above and on the left side of mine.
I feared I'd be the "smallest" guy in SF training, and it wasn't so...
That's pretty much the way I remember it too, and most never had any "pre" SFAS training or mentoring. Just "the guts", "the will", and "the want".

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 18:51   #19
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
That's pretty much the way I remember it too, and most never had any "pre" SFAS training or mentoring. Just "the guts", "the will", and "the want".
Exactly. In my experience, judging a man's toughness solely by his size will make a fool of you 9 times out of 10.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 20:46   #20
Snaquebite
Area Commander

I was probably 145-150 lbs...at 5'10".....Physique had nothing to do with it...Mindset and determination was the key.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 13:16   #21
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Well to all you guys that weren't 6' 1", 240 lb.,(31"waist)and especially being from Chicago,should consider yourselves lucky because if you were,you would have been f**ked with by the cadre every time they felt like screwing around with the "big guy"time..... Enough said!........ So much for having a Special Forces physique...........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 18:02   #22
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Great Photo. The bulging biceps are scary....

TFS- You are right. I was one of the tall ones(6'4"). The only thing my size was good for was to be assigned to carry the A-6.

Last edited by mark46th; 10-26-2010 at 18:05.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 18:15   #23
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
Great Photo. The bulging biceps are scary....

TFS- You are right. I was one of the tall ones(6'4"). The only thing my size was good for was to be assigned to carry the A-6.
I still got to carry the A-6, I guess because of the bulging biceps! I was "wiry"!
Old 11-26-2010, 20:06   #24
lyonsd
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post
[COLOR="Yellow"]
Who is Steve Austin?
lyonsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 20:10   #25
lyonsd
Asset

I see some others have beat me to it.
lyonsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 20:58   #26
CSB
Quiet Professional

Special Forces Physique

Yeah, studliness developed over time. Here's your average unremarkable SFOD-A in 1976.

"Mean-mugging" the camera optional
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD A-752.jpg (83.8 KB, 214 views)
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 21:16   #27
Pete
Quiet Professional

Inverted Crawl

Couldn't be too bulgy otherwise you'd take a header coming back when doing the inverted crawl.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 21:17   #28
wet dog

Great photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSB View Post
Yeah, studliness developed over time. Here's your average unremarkable SFOD-A in 1976.

"Mean-mugging" the camera optional
The irony, the XO (1LT), has the newest duds. The guy in ODs is hiding out in back.

Kinda like the USMC style of rolling up the sleeves, army should have kept it also. Always wished I was old enough to have had my SGT stipes on my arm rather then my collar.
Old 11-26-2010, 21:30   #29
wet dog

Big Teddy,...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
Well to all you guys that weren't 6' 1", 240 lb.,(31"waist)and especially being from Chicago,should consider yourselves lucky because if you were,you would have been f**ked with by the cadre every time they felt like screwing around with the "big guy"time..... Enough said!........ So much for having a Special Forces physique...........

Big Teddy
Hey brother, 6'0", 190-200lbs, (depending on what was in the DFAC).

Got smoked many times by our good man, CSM Perry Davis, who at best was 5'6" 150 lbs., with rucksack, (Sorry CSM, couldn't help it, I'll go do T-bones, well done if I remember).

Second small guy I knew was "Light", 10th Grp, Germany, 1982.
Old 11-26-2010, 21:47   #30
CSB
Quiet Professional

Yes, that was when the very first cammy BDU's were issued, the ones that shrank like a M-F when you first washed them. Also hot as hell on a North Carolina summer since the chemicals in them absorbed IR as well as visible light.

SFC "OG's" Magdaleno later made CSM.

We didn't worry about a "physique" or any kind of "tables" or "BMI" or "percentages." If the Captain said run five miles, we ran five miles. If the Captain said run ten miles we ran ten miles. If he said "rough terrain jump with LBE/CWIE/ruck" we rigged it up and out we went, even if we had never made a rough terrrain jump before.

I think if he said "we want to see if we can jump a 75mm pack howitzer" some of us would have immediately started thinking: "Now, if I take two H-harnesses and put them end-to-end, and use two lowering lines ...".

If anybody then had said "branch chain amino acids with some complex carbs" we would have wondered what college course he was taking (or what drugs he was taking, dude).

=====

Special Forces uses the simple formula:

(Muscle Size and Strength + Stamina) X (Mental Attitude),

where

Mental Atttitude can be greater than one (a multiplier) or
less than one (a divisor).
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote