Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 02-23-2010, 08:56   #1
ReconGaelach
Asset

Family Life in SFG

I did a little searching and could not find anything that specifically answers my question on this topic.

My question is for active duty SF personnel about the quality of family life in SF. My wife is concerned not so much about deployments, but how much time is typically spent at home versus away at schools and training. I'm also curious about the answer to this question. No doubt there are sacrafices that an SF family makes to accomadate the intense op tempo and training, but how much time is there actually left to spend with family on a daily and monthly basis?

My wife is obviously a big part of my life and it is imperative that I have her full support before throwing my hat into the ring. I appreciate your input.

-JH
ReconGaelach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:12   #2
mark46th
Quiet Professional

When I was first assigned to group in 1971, the Divorce rate was 97%, surpassed only by SAC with 98%. I hope it has improved...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:26   #3
Richard
Quiet Professional

I can only speak based on my experiences - my wife and I have been married for 35 years - we sat down once and figured the time spent home/away while we were married and I was in the Army - the average was 235 days per year - the longest single deployment being 10 months - a number of times I returned to Fort Bragg for 2-3 weeks and then left again for 60-180 days.

It is what it is and your situation may vary for better or worse.

I would do it all again today.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:40   #4
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Quote:
but how much time is there actually left to spend with family on a daily and monthly basis?
It is what it is. There is no way to predict this or even come up with an average. The Op-Tempo, and too many other factors drive that train. You go where you're told to go, do what you're told to do, for as long as you are required to do so.

When you are at home, you make the most of it because you don't necessarily know when you will be gone again.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"

Last edited by Snaquebite; 02-23-2010 at 09:42.
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:48   #5
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaquebite View Post
When you are at home, you make the most of it because you don't necessarily know when you will be gone again.
Took me a couple of deployments to come to the understanding that it was "Momma's House" and the best thing was to minimize the disturbance in the karma when I got home. After a few years it got to the point where my wife would ask "Don't you have a deployment or some trip planned?"

23 years later she still thinks that way.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:22   #6
mark46th
Quiet Professional

To his wife, an SF husand is a stranger who shows up every 6 months with a sack of dirty laundry and a hard-on...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:34   #7
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
When I was first assigned to group in 1971, the Divorce rate was 97%, surpassed only by SAC with 98%. I hope it has improved...
It has improved. It's at 124% cuz some of us remarried and got divorced again.

Like Richard, My Reason For Living checked off the days apart on the calendar. At the one year mark we counted the "nights apart" and it totaled about 225 IIRC ( There were two overseas deployments, an exercise or two . . . it was the late 80's; you took what you got and were happy for it. We saved time by going to the ranges and staying over. What sucked was to get ranges we often had to accept Saturdays and Sundays. That got old!) My Team Sergeant's wife (Peggy) took great care of her as did the other wives in the Company. They took her under their wing, gave her the "good SF Wife class" and helped her to do her part. It did not hurt that she was young, working, we had no children, her family was 5 hours drive away, we lived in Clarksville, and our neighbors all looked after her while I was away.
Fast forward to when I rejoined the NG after a 10 year break in service. I deployed to Afghanistan (total time away 16 months) MRFL had a job with considerably more responsibility, three kids and a dog, living in So Cal. There was no FRG to speak of, no wives, no family. She just "handled it". (I've been home for almost three years and I'll never have that debt repaid)

Wives are tough. As long as you keep them in love with you by showing them how much you love them, they do okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
To his wife, an SF husand is a stranger who shows up every 6 months with a sack of dirty laundry and a hard-on...
The SECOND thing I'm gonna do when I get home is drop this ruck.

Last edited by Dozer523; 02-23-2010 at 10:47.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:48   #8
18DWife
Guerrilla

Most the time you are a single parent that is just the way it is like it or not ....with the life comes some privileges and some hard ships .

A wife should understand her husband's job ,and understand the team comes before anything else . BE PROUD OF IT . His commitment to his team and his job is part of who he is .....

Support him in every way possible .

I was married to my husband only a couple months when he started the Q .I did everything I could to learn about the life ,the job ,and so forth .I just happen to be a woman who loves it ,and would be doing it if I was a man .

I was also a single parent 6 yrs before we married ,so I was used to being a lone .
A woman should be able to take care of herself ,be independent ,resourceful ,and 10000% understanding .

That is my opinion ,my out look . I rarely meet anyone that is on the same page with me honestly (wives) I guess I am just weird .
18DWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:54   #9
albeham
Quiet Professional

I was married a few time, yep I said it, but I truly feel it was not cause of SF, but do to the young, self-centered, high maintenance, losers, lack of faith, lack of trust, my wife where.

So I picked the ones that would on the first date..so...

No it real maters on the gal you married ...

AL

PS I am not a loser .. just a self pity needy .. man... hold me please ....
Old 02-23-2010, 10:59   #10
suede18
SF Candidate

So basically if your not married already and have SF hopes dont plan on getting married anytime soon..
suede18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:08   #11
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by suede18 View Post
So basically if your not married already and have SF hopes dont plan on getting married anytime soon..
I wouldn't say that...live your life...what happens, happens...I was married the whole time I was in SF, the best years of our marriage...it fell apart after 33 years, in large part, because I was around all the time and she got to know me...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:15   #12
18DWife
Guerrilla

It takes a SPECIAL woman that is what I like to tell myself anyway
18DWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:16   #13
Fonzy
Guerrilla

Or you could be like me, deploy together to the box (my second, her first) and then get divorced within a week of geting home.

Life is what happens when your busy making other plans.
Fonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:16   #14
Pete
Quiet Professional

What does Rebeka Say?

What does Rebeka Say?

She writes on Army stuff with a wife's point of view.

Operation Marriage: Why not basic training for military spouses?

http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2010/02/21/977222

".......
3. You could drive around Fort Bragg all day, every day, and never see anything that looks like a scene from "Stripes," "Private Benjamin" or "G.I. Jane." Maybe that stuff happens at other Army posts, but it doesn't happen much here.

4. "G.I. Jane" is a completely misnamed movie, by the way. Demi Moore joined the Navy and "G.I." refers to soldiers in the Army. But, I guess "G.I. Jane" is catchier than "Squid Jane," so there you have it. And while we're at it, the Army has soldiers, the Navy has sailors, the Marine Corps has Marines and the Air Force has airmen.

(Extra Credit: Soldiers are often called "joes"; sailors are called "squids"; Marines are called "jarheads" and airmen are called - lucky. Just kidding. I only say that because the Air Force always seems to have the nicest stuff. Also, some of these terms can be considered derogatory. Use with caution.)........"
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:17   #15
craigepo
Quiet Professional

When we showed up for SFAS, they joked that the only paperwork we needed was an up-to-date physical and a divorce decree...
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote