Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 01-23-2010, 09:30   #16
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Here's a method LJ19

Go out side on a very cold and rainy day and stand there until the rain stops.....Close your eyes and follow the force..

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 22:03   #17
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ19 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I'm considering a future in the special operations forces community. But, I haven't been able to decide which branch would be more suitable. In particular, I'm considering either the SEALs or Special Forces.
Let me read you in on reality.
No one cares a bit what you are "considering" or what you "decide" especially if it's to determine "suitability"according to you.
Reality is: Should you step up to the plate, SOF will decide your future and your suitability.
"Consider" is sort of like "try". As Yoda said, "Do or do not, there is no 'try'". As Nike ads say, "Just Do It." You'll find out real fast how much you want it.

Quote:
Why would inquiring whether a certain personality or mindset is more appropriate for one group, rather than the other, be overthinking ?
I wrote that because I knew, from searching the site, that such a question might be seen as an attempt to cause trouble.
You post, so I suppose you read the replys, So . . . when are you going to flesh out that profile? FTFSI? it's in yellow. Watch Richard's video again. Better be glad it's SHOT week.

Last edited by Dozer523; 01-23-2010 at 22:07.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 16:57   #18
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I'm back. You now have my attention.

I agree with Dozer's comments.

My mentality is fine. Yours, I am not so sure about.

From what I have read here (which is all you have given us to work with), you definitely strike me as SEAL material. Go for it. Or we can start a thread and have a poll on what you should do.

And do as you were instructed with your profile before you post again.

Have a very SF day.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 17:26   #19
wet dog

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

I'm considering a future in the special operations forces community. But, I haven't been able to decide which branch would be more suitable. In particular, I'm considering either the SEALs or Special Forces. I'm aware of the general differences between the two groups' operations. As I understand it, SEALs are typically more involved in direct action missions, whereas Special Forces take on the role of teachers behind enemy lines. I realize it is not your responsibility to determine which route would be best for me and that, from a civilian, this may be a premature inquiry. Also, given the high attrition rate of both programs, it may be a moot concern. But, can you tell me whether there are any distinct differences between someone more suited to be a SEAL and someone more suited to be a Special Forces soldier based upon their mentality ? I attempt to read as much as I can about both groups, but this tells little regarding the type of individual best suited for one or the other. I hope it does not appear as though I'm attempting to cause trouble with this inquiry, as I know on other sites the discussion quickly turns to the "superiority" of one group or the other.

Thank you in advance for your answers.
LJ19, I'm sure you have already begun to see some differences. Try to be patient, and most patient with yourself. The answers will come, but only by deeper reflection.

WD

p.s., personally, I joined the SF community because I heard it was easy.
Old 01-24-2010, 18:22   #20
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
become shark crap
I really don't like deep water!!!! It has bad things in it!!!

My father was in the 1st Cav in Korea. My tradition is Army.

Other people are welcome to be proud of what they are and I give them respect for what they did, but I am what I am and pleased and HONORED to be what I am.
If you can't say that then you need to go elsewhere.

SFA M-9545
Buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 18:54   #21
Buck
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet dog View Post
LJ19, I'm sure you have already begun to see some differences. Try to be patient, and most patient with yourself. The answers will come, but only by deeper reflection.

WD

p.s., personally, I joined the SF community because I heard it was easy.
Lol, OK, I can't resist WD... When I read that line all I thought was Hmm, he missed soemthing here, so I'll revise it for you. LJ, "Try to be patient, most patient with yourself, be nice to it, pet it from time to time, and it will come. Yes my son, stroke it and all wisdom will flow. Also Grasshopper, staring at Goats helps to draw the wisdom, from the unison of all of earths little beautiful creatures...rofl. Here is another idear.. LJ, get in a pool, and swim till you puke, then the next day put on some boots, and run with a 50 lb. ruck, till you puke. See which puke session you enjoyed more, and go with it.

Buck
Old 01-25-2010, 01:56   #22
Scimitar
Area Commander

Quote:
staring at Goats helps to draw the wisdom.
LMAO...coffee...keyboard...you get the picture.

I havn't got a goat handy, but our roommate has a pet parakeet and a small cute Maltese dog....will either of these do?

I've done the puking during swimming thing while training with a bunch of Seal Chellenge guys. The major variable here with the swim puke thing is that after you've puked it kinda floats around, and if the officer training you is a nasty bastard he'll make you all swim through it.

SF = 1
SEALS = 0

Also SF has The Duke
Seals has Charlie Sheen

SF = 10
SEALS = -5

Scimitar

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying

Last edited by Scimitar; 01-25-2010 at 02:04.
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:37   #23
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
Also SF has The Duke
Seals has Charlie Sheen

Scimitar
...and don't forget Demi Moore.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:19   #24
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
I betcha Demi Moore could beat the sit out of Charlie...... Do you remember her one hand push ups,that wasn't no stunt double doing them.......

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:38   #25
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
I betcha Demi Moore could beat the sit out of Charlie...... Do you remember her one hand push ups,that wasn't no stunt double doing them.......

Big Teddy
Charlie's wife beat the stuffing out of Charlie, no wait, that was Tiger's wife.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.
Old 01-25-2010, 14:06   #26
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I agree with Dozer's comments.
Have a very SF day.

TR
I'm a bad person. This is going to become my signature .
(I GOT mine now you get YOURS)

Last edited by Dozer523; 01-25-2010 at 16:01.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 18:55   #27
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I've wondered about her mentality ever since she hooked up with that Aston Kutcher goober.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 19:27   #28
LJ19
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
It could be, haha. Nice video.
LJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 19:47   #29
wet dog

Quote:
It could be, haha. Nice video.
Maybe the SEALs or Russian Special Forces or...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKtdT...-video-display
Old 02-10-2010, 08:30   #30
Mistery
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
LJ19,

Get a copy of "Get Selected",read it.....If you think you can cut the mustard that may be helpful in you decision.......

Big Teddy
ive Read "Get Selected" its opened my eyes a lot. It seems Very Helpful to me and my preparation for SF.