Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 01-21-2010, 15:47   #1
LJ19
Asset

Mentality of the SF Soldier

Hello Everyone,

I'm considering a future in the special operations forces community. But, I haven't been able to decide which branch would be more suitable. In particular, I'm considering either the SEALs or Special Forces. I'm aware of the general differences between the two groups' operations. As I understand it, SEALs are typically more involved in direct action missions, whereas Special Forces take on the role of teachers behind enemy lines. I realize it is not your responsibility to determine which route would be best for me and that, from a civilian, this may be a premature inquiry. Also, given the high attrition rate of both programs, it may be a moot concern. But, can you tell me whether there are any distinct differences between someone more suited to be a SEAL and someone more suited to be a Special Forces soldier based upon their mentality ? I attempt to read as much as I can about both groups, but this tells little regarding the type of individual best suited for one or the other. I hope it does not appear as though I'm attempting to cause trouble with this inquiry, as I know on other sites the discussion quickly turns to the "superiority" of one group or the other.

Thank you in advance for your answers.
LJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 17:37   #2
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ19 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I'm considering a future in the special operations forces community. But, I haven't been able to decide which branch would be more suitable. In particular, I'm considering either the SEALs or Special Forces. I'm aware of the general differences between the two groups' operations. As I understand it, SEALs are typically more involved in direct action missions, whereas Special Forces take on the role of teachers behind enemy lines. I realize it is not your responsibility to determine which route would be best for me and that, from a civilian, this may be a premature inquiry. Also, given the high attrition rate of both programs, it may be a moot concern. But, can you tell me whether there are any distinct differences between someone more suited to be a SEAL and someone more suited to be a Special Forces soldier based upon their mentality ? I attempt to read as much as I can about both groups, but this tells little regarding the type of individual best suited for one or the other. I hope it does not appear as though I'm attempting to cause trouble with this inquiry, as I know on other sites the discussion quickly turns to the "superiority" of one group or the other.

Thank you in advance for your answers.
LJ19,

Get a copy of "Get Selected",read it.....If you think you can cut the mustard that may be helpful in you decision.......

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 19:20   #3
Dan
Administrators

There's definitely a difference in mentalities that you'll easily be able to tell by conversing with a few from each service. You might also want to read about what the SF missions are on our home page located under the "Tasks" section and view various videos located there as well.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 19:50   #4
head
Quiet Professional

My advice is that you must remember that, while your intentions are SF or SEAL, you are joining two very different services with a wealth of opportunities and history in each. So, you also need to research the two services and decide whether you want to be a sailor or a soldier foremost, in case things don't go the way you planned and also to motivate through all of the regular service BS we still put up with. I knew I wanted to be in the Army before I even decided on Special Forces.
Old 01-21-2010, 20:11   #5
LJ19
Asset

Thank you for your responses.
Old 01-21-2010, 22:09   #6
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Head was right-on.
My addition to his thoughts:
1) When you join the Army, your rank will be private: in the Navy you will be called a seaman. Do you really want to be called "seaman" which sounds a lot like "semen"?
2)Worst-case scenario: If you are on a Navy ship, get attacked, and sunk, you won't be able to swim across the ocean, so you drown or become shark crap. If you are in the Army and get overrun, you can run away.
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 23:33   #7
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Are we just standing around waiting for the drugs to take effect? Since when is this an introduction?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ19 View Post
Hello Everyone,
I'm a civilian interested in learning more about the special operations forces community. So far this site, and the insights of its contributors, has been very helpful.
And his profile. Please add a little meat to this"
About LJ19
Served in the following units.
Civilian
Interests
Reading
How did you hear about Professional Soldiers?
online search

And as for this question How about; 1) The search button is your friend or
2) Search more post less, or
3) Usually we wait a few posts before we start a thread.

Jeeze you guys. Are you all really sure he's a really pretty girl?
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:55   #8
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
Are we just standing around waiting for the drugs to take effect? Since when is this an introduction? And his profile. Please add a little meat to this"
About LJ19
Served in the following units.
Civilian
Interests
Reading
How did you hear about Professional Soldiers?
online search

And as for this question How about; 1) The search button is your friend or
2) Search more post less, or
3) Usually we wait a few posts before we start a thread.

Jeeze you guys. Are you all really sure he's a really pretty girl?
Dozer,Dozer,just when I thought you were starting to mellow..........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

Old 01-22-2010, 11:33   #9
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
Dozer,Dozer,just when I thought you were starting to mellow..........
Big Teddy
Holding you breath, were ya?
Seriously come 'mon guys. This is Special Forces questions. As in 'bring your questions to the 'mountain top" not "Ohhhhh, can I wear your hat?"stuff.

LJ,
Really you can do better. Come on! Try the search button, seems this SF vs alien (I mean SEAL) gets trotted out ALL THE time. Bottom line? In the "what do I want to be when I grow up" world only "I" can decide. Find (not ask for) facts, consider the alternatives, make a decision, execute, reassess. CM.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:42   #10
Richard
Quiet Professional

This you, LJ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxwJ_k1jG8E

What Dozer said.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:22   #11
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Richard,

I don't know how you find these little jewels,but they sure do hit the spot......

Big Teddy
Zonie Diver

Jack Moroney

Old 01-23-2010, 05:42   #12
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

You may be over thinking this LJ.

and
Quote:
I know on other sites the discussion quickly turns to the "superiority" of one group or the other.
This is a Special Forces sight. Discussions on the superiority of other units would be pointless.
And inaccurate.
Duh.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:55   #13
LJ19
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Bob View Post
You may be over thinking this LJ.
Why would inquiring whether a certain personality or mindset is more appropriate for one group, rather than the other, be overthinking ?

Quote:
This is a Special Forces sight. Discussions on the superiority of other units would be pointless.
And inaccurate.
Duh.
I wrote that because I knew, from searching the site, that such a question might be seen as an attempt to cause trouble.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:14   #14
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

You're actually thinking of basing a decision on the mindset or personality of an MOS rather than your desire to be part of that unit?
Look a at the mission of SF. If you think that's what you want to dedicate your life to, then go for it. There are all types of personalities in SF.

Quote:
I haven't been able to decide which branch would be more suitable
An odd way to put it. Either you want SF or you don't. Do some research on what SF is and does. The decision should be simple.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:16   #15
LJ19
Asset

Quote:
You're actually thinking of basing a decision on the mindset or personality of an MOS rather than your desire to be part of that unit?
Look a at the mission of SF. If you think that's what you want to dedicate your life to, then go for it. There are all types of personalities in SF.

An odd way to put it. Either you want SF or you don't. Do some research on what SF is and does. The decision should be simple.
Thank you for your response.