Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 07-04-2004, 10:55   #1
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Jeff Cooper's Color System

We refer to this frequently, and so I thought it might make an interesting topic for discussion. I don't know the dude that wrote this, but it seems like a fairly good explanation, plus the lecture.

The Color Code

I've been frequently asked about the Gunsite Color Code. Nowadays, just about everyone is familiar with the "color code" used by the government to indicate terrorist threat level. However, the color code as originally introduced by Jeff Cooper, had nothing to do with tactical situations or alertness levels, but rather with one's state of mind. As taught by Jeff, it relates to the degree of peril you are willing to do something about and which allows you to move from one level of mindset to another to enable you to properly handle a given situation.

A lethal confrontation is not something anyone expects, and this code allows you to have a sequence you can work with to prepare you for "something bad." Jeff doesn't claim to have invented anything in particular with the color code, but he has definitely spread the word about it.

The color code defines four different mental states. Why four? Because three doesn't adequately cover the needed range and five simply adds an unneeded level. The four colors used are white, yellow, orange, and red.

Here it is straight from the famous "Wednesday lecture."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

White - Relaxed, unaware, and unprepared. If attacked in this state the only thing that may save you is the inadequacy and ineptitude of your attacker. When confronted by something nasty your reaction will probably be, "Oh my God! This can't be happening to me."

Yellow - Relaxed alert. No specific threat situation. Your mindset is that "today could be the day I may have to defend myself." There is no specific threat but you are aware that the world is an unfriendly place and that you are prepared to do something if necessary. You use your eyes and ears, and your carriage says "I am alert." You don't have to be armed in this state but if you are armed you must be in yellow. When confronted by something nasty your reaction will probably be, "I thought this might happen some day." You can live in this state indefinitely.

Orange - Specific alert. Something not quite right has gotten your attention and you shift your primary focus to that thing. Something is "wrong" with a person or object. Something may happen. Your mindset is that "I may have to shoot that person." Your pistol is usually holstered in this state. You can maintain this state for several hours.

Red - Fight. This is your mental trigger. "If that person does "x" I will shoot them." Your pistol may, but not necessarily, be in your hand.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 10:58   #2
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

From Cooper:

Note again that the Color Code is not an alert system. It is not an index of your personal hazard, but rather a psychological crutch which enables you to overcome your natural reluctance to take possibly lethal action. I have tried to make this point regularly ever since I devised the system, but a great many people still do not get it.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 07-04-2004, 14:49   #3
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Yellow: TR's base level. Probably same for most QPs I would think.

Orange: TS when the dog was near his kids.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 17:07   #4
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
but rather a psychological crutch which enables you to overcome your natural reluctance to take possibly lethal action.
This sounds OODAish to me - like the orientation cloud.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 07-06-2004, 12:35   #5
VMI_Marine
Asset

I've also heard of "Black", which is a state of panic where a person is unable to think or act.
VMI_Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 13:49   #6
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by VMI_Marine
I've also heard of "Black", which is a state of panic where a person is unable to think or act.
I like that.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 07-11-2004, 20:31   #7
VMI_Marine
Asset

I've only seen it mentioned in 2nd MarDiv's Enhanced Marksmanship Program, so I'm not sure where it originated. I like the concept of teaching Marines to recognize and avoid the extreme ends of the spectrum, White being a state of total complacency and unawareness, and Black being a state of panic, confusion, and denial. The Division is starting to push this program a lot more, personally I would like to see it receive the kind of emphasis that MCMAP received.
Old 07-11-2004, 20:32   #8
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

What's MCMAP?
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 07-11-2004, 20:33   #9
VMI_Marine
Asset

My apologies - Marine Corps Martial Arts Program.
Old 07-11-2004, 20:36   #10
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Aaah so. Thanks. I agree, I think mindset needs to be encouraged at all levels. Not nearly enough tradecraft has been taught IMO. I don't know much about the Corps, but I have seen the security guys do some things that make me wonder... I know it wasn't formally taught to SF guys when I was there. You had to learn it from the FOGs.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 07-11-2004, 20:37   #11
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

LOL - I thought for a minute Mickey Ds was giving out roadmaps or something now.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 07-11-2004, 20:48   #12
Galadriel
Asset

You're all going to hate me for mentioning this but...
The color system is based on chakra colors.
I wonder if Jeff Cooper was a buddist?
and know the place for the first time."
-T. S. Eliot
Galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 20:48   #13
VMI_Marine
Asset

The MCMAP program attempts to address teaching Marines close combat mindset and skills, but our Marksmanship training does not, at the moment, do the same thing for shooting skills. EMP could change that by teaching all of the fundamentals of engaging the enemy in close quarters, from mindset to stance to proper wear and placement of equipment. And, of course, how to engage targets. I became a big fan of EMP when I had a rifle platoon, to the point that my Marines became sick of dry-fire presentation drills.
Old 07-11-2004, 20:58   #14
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Galadriel
You're all going to hate me for mentioning this but...
The color system is based on chakra colors.
I wonder if Jeff Cooper was a buddist?
You're right...

I hate you now.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 07-11-2004, 20:59   #15
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by VMI_Marine
The MCMAP program attempts to address teaching Marines close combat mindset and skills, but our Marksmanship training does not, at the moment, do the same thing for shooting skills. EMP could change that by teaching all of the fundamentals of engaging the enemy in close quarters, from mindset to stance to proper wear and placement of equipment. And, of course, how to engage targets. I became a big fan of EMP when I had a rifle platoon, to the point that my Marines became sick of dry-fire presentation drills.
Sounds like a winner. They may have hated the drills, but i bet they could shoot.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?