Old 03-25-2009, 11:31   #1
swpa19
Guerrilla Chief

SF Artist

Didnt really know just where to post this thread, hopefully this is the proper place.

In the late 1970s early 1980s there was an individual, (not sure if he was 5th or 7th SFG) that used to do MOS pen and ink characters. As well as other SF related functions.

I remember one particular drawing that featured an SF troop in MFF with a Claymore tied to his jump helmet and freefalling toward a Russian Mig.

Does anyone recall this artists work or name?
Theodore Roosevelt

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Aristotle
swpa19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:42   #2
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Ballinger IIRC. That was a long time ago. He also had Christmas cards and a comic strip "ODA 069". Last I heard he went to Florida in the early 80's. The Hobbit on Yadkin Rd. used to sell his stuff.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 13:18   #3
Pete
Quiet Professional

lksteve

lksteve uses a part of one picture as his avatar.

The one that has the rest of the A Team around the team leader.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 13:57   #4
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
lksteve uses a part of one picture as his avatar.

The one that has the rest of the A Team around the team leader.
Actually, that's from a much older print from the days when an SF Officer was a 31542 and was in existence when I first came to Smoke Bomb Hill - you could buy them at the PX and the old wooden IMA Book Store across from The White House (JFK Center). There were a whole series of them for all the Officer Branches and they were titled something along the lines of "The XXXXX Officer as seen by..."

The guy who did the HALO/SOT/SCUBA/etc stuff being asked about (Ballenger or Belanger or Balanger or however he spelled it) was a young SGT in the 5th circa the early '80s time frame.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 14:04   #5
swpa19
Guerrilla Chief

RICHARD:

Quote:
"The XXXXX Officer as seen by..."
I remember those when I was an assitant R.O.T.C. instructor.

Lot of those were really applicable too.
Theodore Roosevelt

Aristotle
Old 03-25-2009, 15:26   #6
alelks
Quiet Professional

Those were definitely Bellionger's work.

Do you guys remember the REDLIW T-shirts that were going around in the 80's. I know some of you know what I"m talking about.

That created a HUGE stink.

AL
alelks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 16:04   #7
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

I have several of Pat O'Kelly's from back in the 80's: Ranger vs. SF Option; CLOWNs (Clandestine Liberators OF Wimpy Nations); The Creation; and Scripture For Planning.
Old 03-25-2009, 16:39   #8
Stras
Quiet Professional

Vaclav Havel "The Meeting"

The old 1-10th SFG(A) guys will remember SFC(RET) Vaclav Havel who was our language instructor in Bad Toelz and Stuttgart for years. He was retired SF, native born Czech (Lodge Bill), and was an artist. He's in his late 70's/early 80's now, and still in the Munich area.

He did the dot prints where the picture is actually thousands of ink dots with a pen. I'm not sure of the actual name.

One of the ones he made was called "the Meeting", which was the initial meeting between and SFODA and the auxilliary. All the persons depicted in the print are actual QPs. There is also the front gate of Flint Kaserne, the Berlin Wall Memorial ( he penned this in the early 80's, with a thru date of 199?). Damn he was close.

The prints are available from SFA 4-24 in Colorado Springs, CO, and from myself here at Bragg. SFA 4-24 website: http://www.sfa4-24.org/index.htm

v/r
Stras

Last edited by Stras; 03-25-2009 at 16:47. Reason: added SFA 4-24 website address
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 17:36   #9
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
LtC John L Cassady, aka: Jack or Cass did the original sketches Richard mentioned. There was a "Jump School", Ranger School", "Special Forces", and I think one other??

Jack is old school SF. He is mentioned in John Plaster's "Secret Commands".

He still lives in NC and runs a small art studio and school.

www.toonmaker.com/about.shtml.

He hasn't licensed the set for publication for years.

I had a complete set,, including the SF "A" Team, lost it in a move.

I now have an autographed copy of the SF A Team....

Does anyone have any of the other cartoons??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jack_Cassady_Special_Forces.jpg (121.5 KB, 437 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 18:52   #10
Go Devil
Guerrilla Chief

Did Jack happen to do the mural inside TMC 14 ?
The style is similar.
Old 03-25-2009, 18:57   #11
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Devil View Post
Did Jack happen to do the mural inside TMC 14 ?
The style is similar.
Don't know,, but his cartouche is very bold. I doubt he didn't sign it??

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 19:18   #12
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
LtC John L Cassady, aka: Jack or Cass did the original sketches Richard mentioned. There was a "Jump School", Ranger School", "Special Forces", and I think one other??
IIRC - there was one for each of the staff sections, too - the S-1, the S-2, the S-3, the S-4.

Quote:
The old 1-10th SFG(A) guys will remember SFC(RET) Vaclav Havel ...
Havel worked in the graphics section down in the basement at Tolz after retirement, and many of us have certificates and plaques designed and made with his artistic hand.

Another SF artist of the era was Joe Beasly who did a great series of B/W prints/cards of SF skiers, HALO jumpers, combat divers, mountain climbers, etc.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 03-26-2009, 10:08   #13
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stras View Post
He did the dot prints where the picture is actually thousands of ink dots with a pen. I'm not sure of the actual name.
I believe its called stippling, similar to the woodworking practice.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:47   #14
swpa19
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
He did the dot prints where the picture is actually thousands of ink dots with a pen.
The artist term for this technique is "pointillism", some refer to it as poinitism.
Theodore Roosevelt

Aristotle
Old 03-26-2009, 11:11   #15
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by swpa19 View Post
The artist term for this technique is "pointillism", some refer to it as poinitism.
As someone who originally thought he wanted to be an art teacher and still dabbles, it is commonly accepted practice to refer to (1) pointilism in reference to the use of color/paint (e.g., Pissaro) and (2) stippling in reference to a similar shading by black ink dotting (crowquill pens, rapidographs, etc).

Havel and Beasley were very good at stippling.

I personally like to use pen/ink and color pencil.

Richard's $.02