Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 05-31-2004, 02:08   #61
hoepoe
Guerrilla

Good morning

Training helps to channel these natural changes on our bodies to use them to the maximum.

Being "civilized" humans as we are, much of our instinctive defenses have been lost through evolution, sometimes training the mind and body helps reawaken/hone these natural instincts allowing us to use them one step further than the defense mode as NDD mentioned.

ie. when the proverbial shit hits the fan, a trained mind/body will be able to look, assess and react as part of the bodies natural defenses whilst an untrained mind/body would go into defensive mode (as described above) and then only would the LAR come into play, after the subject has actively thought, ok, WTF!

It is my opinion however, that not everyone requires training to reach this level of "knowing your self", some have it naturally.

Make any sense?

Hoepoe
hoepoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 09:19   #62
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Great thread.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 11:27   #63
Tetrian
Asset

Yep, it sure is!

Think im beginning to suffer from sensory overload from all the things i learned here.

<-- joins the popcorn party

-Tetrian
Tetrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 20:34   #64
Sdiver
Area Commander

Here's my .02

In a book I read quit a bit, by Joe Hayms called "Zen in the Martial Arts", he asked one of his Instructors this question :

"If you ever found yourself having to defend yourself in a Court of Law, for having killed someone, in an act of Self Defense, what would your defense be?"

His Instructor thought for a moment and answered:

"If I ever found myself in that situation, I would say it was Musin, or the state of NO MIND. That is where, through training repetition, your body and mind work as one. You act and react without thinking, like breathing. You do it without thinking. It just happens."

His Instructor was Bruce Lee.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 22:34   #65
Doc T

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
None, other than my wife tells me that I am paranoid and make other people nervous. I guess that makes me a stress carrier, not a stress victim.

I threaten no one intentionally, but I keep my eye on everyone. It is a healthy habit, and I expect to live longer because of it.

TR
you and the team sergeant make a great pair!

doc t.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:49   #66
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc T
you and the team sergeant make a great pair!

doc t.
That is high praise, Doc, and I appreciate it.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 16:44   #67
Roycroft201

Stress vs. situational awareness.

If I am reading this correctly, trainging and education create a natural state of situational awareness,ie. Condition Yellow, such as that described by The Reaper and Doc T of Team Sergeant.

? - Therefore, Condition Yellow does not cause the body to release the hormones normally released in stressful situations, cortisol et al, nor does it create the additional reaction of immune deficiency during stress ? Condition Yellow is therefore not being in a state of "fight or flight" at all times, as it pertains to hormonal response. The body can be trained to not react hormonally. Yes ?

Roycroft201

edited by RC201
Old 06-02-2004, 17:04   #68
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Follow this story:

SUBWAY SHOOTING

By DAN MANGAN, MURRAY WEISS and TODD VENEZIA

June 2, 2004 -- A model who played a bit part on TV's "Law and Order" became the center of a real-life crime drama beneath Times Square yesterday when a mystery gunman shot her while she rode the subway, cops said.

Monica Meadows, a 22-year-old Georgia beauty who recently moved to New York to pursue stardom, told cops she was sipping a soda on an uptown W train approaching the Times Square station when she heard a popping noise — and saw her white sweater turn red with blood.

She staggered out of the train at the bustling station — her shoulder burning with pain — while the "scruffy"-looking gunman made his escape in the crowd of fleeing straphangers, police sources said.

"There was just a loud pop," said a 25-year-old student who witnessed the attack. "Nobody even knew she was shot.

"All of a sudden, she started gushing blood and people ran away. There were people screaming . . . She was, like, 'I think I've been shot . . . Somebody help me. Somebody help me.' "

The 5-foot-10 Meadows, who had worked as a model while attending college in Colorado, was riding back from her talent agency on 28th Street when the shooting occurred at about 2 p.m., some 30 seconds before the train pulled into the station.

Cops said they don't know if she was the intended target, but added that the shooting was no accident.

Meadows and the gunmen were sitting near each other when he fired, police said. No one confronted her before the shooting, but cops haven't ruled out the possibility the gunman fought with someone else.

The shooter — described as a white man in his early 30s with a messenger bag and shoulder-length hair — walked into the next car after the attack and then disappeared into the crowd of passengers after the train stopped.

Meadows was helped by fellow passengers to a token booth. She gave her cellphone to a witness to call her boyfriend.

"I said, 'I have unfortunate news: Your girlfriend has been shot,' " said the woman who made the call.

"I just said she seems to be doing fine."

Meadows was in stable condition at Bellevue Hospital.

"She's very, very lucky," said hospital spokesman James Saunders. "The doctors are calling her the 'Miracle Model.' "

Meadows hails from McDonough, Ga., and is the daughter of one of Atlanta's most prominent attorneys, Roy G. Meadows.

She studied acting at the University of Northern Colorado, according to Brad Baldwin, the owner of a Denver modeling agency where she worked.

Since coming to New York in the past year, Meadows had started down the hard path to stardom, scoring a bit part in a January episode of "Law & Order: Criminal Intent."

She also spent time last spring paying her dues in a production of the play "Fashion," at the White Plains Performing Arts Center. The Journal News review panned the production, but hailed Meadows as "every bit the intended statuesque beauty."

Baldwin said Meadows never had trouble in her personal life.

"You get people coming through this business that are troubled people," he said. "She wasn't one of them. She's the all-American girl."

Additional reporting by Jennifer Fermino and Philip Messing

Not to be critical, but we have a beautiful woman, not from the area, riding a subway in NYC, sipping a soda, failing to notice that an altercation is taking place and a weapon is drawn and pointed at her, within a few feet.

Vulnerable and desireable individual, Condition White (in a situation hardly warranting it), SA turned off, gets hit.

Folks an entry into a NY subway would put me on Orange, at least. Having her head up and looking around might have let her see this coming in time to react.

Unfortunately, that is the sort of thing that eventually happens to people who try to be stress free and oblivious to things happening around them.

Wake up. Be alert and stay alive, people.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 17:22   #69
shadowflyer
Guerrilla

Awareness Spectrum Weblink

Here is a link for information on the Awareness Spectrum.

Awareness....it will save your life
Old 06-02-2004, 17:27   #70
Roycroft201

Thanks, shadowflyer. The link answered my question. This is a great thread.

Roycroft201
Old 06-02-2004, 17:37   #71
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

RC201-

First off, I think might be confused as to what the main players in the fight or flight scenario are... Cortisol is not one of the key players in what effects your physical reactions. Epinephrine (adrenaline in laymen's terms) is the main player. It is almost completely responsible for most of the reactions that NDD described.

Secondly, the point of my post and somewhat the others was to point out that if trained properly, an individual can actually develop a brainstem level TRUE REFLEX response similar to the automatic ducking that a normal individual will do when he/she hears a loud bang. A well trained individual may draw his CCW at that same bang, even before his mind has processed the fact that he has even heard a loud bang and then decide to do something about it. This happens way before (relatively) his Epi is dumped in his system to cause the fight or flight response systems.

What it seems NDD, Bill, Ambush Master, etc were focusing on is the next phase of the process where the fight or flight mechanism is evident and the person has had time to Comprehend that he is in danger- even if just in a very simple and quick realization that the stimulus is dangerous
This coincides with what NDD and Bill H. were referencing from the Kill or be Kilt techniques. Ex. The natural reflex is to crouch down when in danger, so one should practice shooting techniques that encompass this body position as it is likely to be your "natural" position if faced with an extremely dangerous situation. The same goes for grip on pistol, target focus patterns when in danger, etc.

I think the idea of being at condition yellow is really a slightly different point/process, yet probably more important to personal safety overall than ANY response you can make after an incident has occurred.

Standing by for correction by experienced guru's....

Last edited by Sacamuelas; 06-02-2004 at 17:45.
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 17:49   #72
Roycroft201

Thanks, Saca.

Roycroft201
Old 06-02-2004, 18:11   #73
brownapple

Regarding the subway shooting...

There may or may not have been an altercation for her to see.

When I was working as a photographer in NYC, there was another photographer who basically raped models he employed for jobs. He figured it was part of what he was due for giving them the job. Models who resisted, he hurt (or tried to). His career came to an abrupt ending when he raped the girlfriend of a gentleman of Italian descent who had a rather large house in Brooklyn.

I do agree with TR. Regardless of how much safer NYC is and the subways are courtesy of Rudy Guliani, you still have to be aware. I don't sit on subways... ever. Restricts the ability to be actively alert without drawing attention to you (typical riders of subways and mass transit trains anywhere have a tendency to not look around, to focus on a book, newspaper or just look down when seated,).
Old 06-13-2004, 05:10   #74
hoepoe
Guerrilla

On Topic, sort of

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3791357.stm

Brain has 'early warning system'
The researchers scanned people's brains to monitor activity
University College London experts have shown how the brain subconsciously remembers details around past dangers.

Writing in Nature, they say blocking this system could help treat pain by interrupting such a brain process. "

In order to save bandwidth, the complete article can be viewed at the lnk above.

Hoepoe
hoepoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 19:12   #75
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I wonder how much of the reaction to stress is physiological from holding one's breath?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote